SAS Plus Intra Europe - what happened?

Old May 24, 19, 7:27 am
Original Poster

SAS Plus Intra Europe - what happened?

Travelled in Plus class the yesterday and couldn't help reflect that things seem to have gone somewhat downhill in the last year.
Lounge, fast track and priority boarding in place - all fine.
In flight: Same little box with salad, but no little table cloth, no hot towel service, no real glass for the wine (ie plastic cups and cutlery galore - not very climate friendly!!) and even the wonderful little box of Swedish chocolates had been replaced with a selection of the buy on board assortment from economy to choose from.
Wine by the way still sub-par in quality.
And off course no middle seat blocked - this is still not a C product.
But what happened to all they other little niceties? Gone for good? Anyone know?
Old May 24, 19, 7:43 am

I accepted that Plus is nothing more than economy with free drinks and snacks from the cart. The meal, even the one before they moved to the cube concept was always aweful...

The one thing I LOVE about SK Plus is, for the last 2 years I never had an issue walking up to the gate of an earlier flight to ask if they can move me up. Gate agent: "Oh, you're on a Plus ticket, no problem... Done!"

Just last Monday had a 3 segment flight and as my meeting finished earlier I left for the airport and moved up the whole itinerary but 5 hours or so.
Old May 24, 19, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
I accepted that Plus is nothing more than economy with free drinks and snacks from the cart
...and the hefty ticket price

G
Old May 24, 19, 7:55 am

Well, in a lot of cases for the price difference is not that bad. Usually within $100. If it is more, I book Go Smart.
SK2751 and highupinthesky like this.
Old May 24, 19, 8:13 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Hmm, your experience doesn't reflect mine the last year. I've had three intra-europe Plus flights and have been:
  • Tablecloth: 2 of 3 flights
  • Proper glassware: 3 of 3 flights
  • Box of chocolates: 3 of 3
  • Hot towel: 2 of 3 flights
Old May 24, 19, 8:14 am

Well, in a lot of cases for the price difference is not that bad. Usually within $100. If it is more, I book Go Smart.
With an outstation departure (usually meaning no fast track, lounge etc.), any price difference would hardly compensate the overall poor value (for a ghastly meal and a free drink? Alright, possibly the few extra points...) to be perfectly honest but then, as usual, each to their own Off-topic (merely a comparison exercise) but I find LOT (short/medium haul) business class product perfectly reasonable in terms of cost, with catering (and overall) standards way above those of SAS (not to mention fast track, lounge etc.).

G
Old May 24, 19, 9:10 am

Lounge, FastTrack and free Drinks come with EBD anyway. So for me the value prop is even worse

But I use the free same day changes a lot and that makes a huge difference for my life. Same for the cancellation and rebooking options which are pretty ok in Plus. I usually use SK for my PL trips, perhaps I should try LOT in J if the price is the same as for SK Plus.

To be honest, I rarely by LH, OS or LX Business in Europe as I do not see the value. Unless special things, like my trip to Romania next week was cheaper in LH J than in Y. The only airline which I really enjoy in J intra Europe is TAP. Old shabby planes and seats but the meals and service is great.
Old May 24, 19, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by aju View Post
Hmm, your experience doesn't reflect mine the last year. I've had three intra-europe Plus flights and have been:
  • Tablecloth: 2 of 3 flights
  • Proper glassware: 3 of 3 flights
  • Box of chocolates: 3 of 3
  • Hot towel: 2 of 3 flights
I think the differences are:
Short flight, up to 60mins like CPH-HAM or CPH-HAJ -> almost no service
Short Medium flight, 60 - 80mins like CPH-MUC -> basic service, at least they usually give out glassware
Medium to long flights, 90-120 mins and longer -> decent service with table cloth, hot towles, glassware etc

In general the intra-Scandinavian flights including Finland, Northern Germany, Poland and the Baltic region always are poorly catered. But most of them would end in the short to short/medium bucket.
yurtripper likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 9:23 am

Agreed on all fronts, especially when it comes to same-day changes. I fly LH/OS quite a lot due to limited choice from/to Sarajevo — can’t complain (I truly enjoy transiting through MUC) but, whenever possible (i.e. direct services from/to WAW), I tend to go for LOT which, again, offers some really good fares together with a pretty robust product (on-time performance shambolic to say the least during the peak months but that’s a different matter, SAS much better in that respect...).

G
Old May 24, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK View Post
...and the hefty ticket price G
I would rather pay the $100 on SK than the +$200 on LH, but that is probably because the flexibility and additional points are more important to me than the food

I think the differences are:
Short flight, up to 60mins like CPH-HAM or CPH-HAJ -> almost no service
Short Medium flight, 60 - 80mins like CPH-MUC -> basic service, at least they usually give out glassware
Medium to long flights, 90-120 mins and longer -> decent service with table cloth, hot towles, glassware etc

In general the intra-Scandinavian flights including Finland, Northern Germany, Poland and the Baltic region always are poorly catered. But most of them would end in the short to short/medium bucket.
The last couple of flights I had between CPH and ARN has been with hot towels and the Swedish chocolate. The table cloth and glassware, I don't know as I never eat the food on the shorthauls, and never drink alcohol when traveling.
Old May 24, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
The one thing I LOVE about SK Plus is, for the last 2 years I never had an issue walking up to the gate of an earlier flight to ask if they can move me up. Gate agent: "Oh, you're on a Plus ticket, no problem... Done!".
This seems to have become more strict. Iíve previously been able to do that in Go but no longer. This week I had a long stopover in CPH because the connection time to the earlier onward flight was only 30 mins. I had plenty of time and tried to get on it arguing to gate agent that it was not a case of having booked a late flight but a case of not being able to book the earlier one. And Iím EBG.

Gate agent very understanding but said that they monitor everything he does in Stockholm and that they only do that for Pandion in Go and Plus tickets.

Tried again in Lounge and she was also very friendly but said her system did not allow her to do it, ie. technically.

Also, I couldnít upgrade as there was less than an hour to takeoff.

Does anyone know if I next time can bid for an upgrade on just the last segment and solve the issue? It would be a Plus segment but donít know if the lowest booking class rules would apply (first leg would be Go due to company policy and I donít want to bid for double upgrade).
Old May 24, 19, 2:46 pm

Just this week in HEL the agent (contracted agent, not SK) also ran into a roadblock trying to move my 8pm departure to the 3pm flight.

I was booked on a Plus Smart fare and when she tried the system to move me, it said it canít find any alternative flights... of course not since for a same day departure only Plus Pro would be available.

I almost accepted not being on the 3pm flight and spend 5 hours in the miserable HEL SK lounge but the agent didnít accept defeat and called a colleague in the back end. Together they sorted it out and 10 minutes later I boarded the 3pm flight.

kudos to the lovely lady in HEL!

so, it definitely can be done! And I never had any problems in the last two years to do so - even in cheap Plus fares.

Not sure about upgrades thought. They upgraded you because of availability on that fight. Using the upgrade to move you over to another flight might not work out.

But probably worth trying. I donít think the gate agent will check the ticket history. Probably just look at the booking class - or actually class of service - and be done with it.
Old May 24, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by SASegments View Post
This seems to have become more strict. Iíve previously been able to do that in Go but no longer.
Interesting, because it has never been available in GO. On United in US, you can do it for free if you are *A, or pay USD $50 if you are not *A.

Originally Posted by SASegments View Post
Does anyone know if I next time can bid for an upgrade on just the last segment and solve the issue? It would be a Plus segment but donít know if the lowest booking class rules would apply (first leg would be Go due to company policy and I donít want to bid for double upgrade).
As far as I remember you bid for each leg individually, but you have to submit you bid 48 hours before scheduled takeoff. And the plusgrade upgade do not give you the flexible ticket. It only gives you additional points and the PLUS seat in the plane.
Old May 24, 19, 3:18 pm

so, it definitely can be done! And I never had any problems in the last two years to do so - even in cheap Plus fares.
Same day flight change works for PLUS, not matter whether it's the cheap or expensive version. Reschedule for free to another day only works for the expensive version.

Not sure about upgrades thought. They upgraded you because of availability on that fight. Using the upgrade to move you over to another flight might not work out.
Upgrades doesn't give you the flexible ticket, and you need to submit your bid 48 hours before scheduled departure. Tried it several times without luck.
Old May 24, 19, 3:28 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Upgrades doesn't give you the flexible ticket, and you need to submit your bid 48 hours before scheduled departure. Tried it several times without luck.
Thanks. This is helpful!

I know I have to bid 48 hours before but in some cases it might be worth it taking the chance and spending 5.000 points. 30 mins at CPH is usually sufficient.

But upgrading to a non flexible Plus on a domestic flight as EBG makes zero sense.

Search this Thread