Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
I do not agree. In those places where they used to have contract lounges like MAN or WRO, there are no *G lounges. Which makes it a real annoyance for me as I seem to end up in these places quite a lot. Actually, they made me change my WRO rotations to LH because of this. (and the limited SK options...)
I agree there are a couple of airports where I would like SK to revisit their lounge policy. PRG is anther one of them and one where I also have switched to LH when going there. But in the big picture it's really minor issues not worth whining about.

Originally Posted by nussle
20 flights a year and 6 years EGB, I easily beat you on flights and on time. Which is perhaps why I find some of the services you regard as optional to be important. I am on a flight almost every week, sometimes more than one.
Funny enough. The more I fly the less I care about the service on board and the same happens to the other frequent flyer I know. It all become about turning travel time into work time and here fast track and lounge access is key.
Beside that. When you quote, please don't change the quote. I wrote 20 flights in average over the last 20 years and EBD for the last 6 years in a row.
kilo and SK2751 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
The termination of the contract lounges on the smaller outstations is in reality only a minor issue as most PLUS pax already are *G members and therefore have access to the *G lounges.
While this could be true for the majority of SAS travellers (I don’t know), the cuts in terms of lounges and fast tracks were a major blow for those like myself departing from not-so small outstations (SAS has a good number of services out of Gdańsk, for instance): admittedly, I didn’t really care about the lounge as I was normally travelling on the first morning service, but the fast track was really important to me because those ‘smaller’ airports have a large number of flights (mostly low-cost carriers) and ‘standard’ security can (rather, is) a proper zoo, same with the other airport I used to travel to (and from, needless to say) on a weekly basis i.e. Birmingham (again, the lounge didn’t really bother me but having to go through ‘normal’ security meant that I had to leave work earlier whereas back home in Gdańsk I had to get up at ‘stupid o’clock’ to find myself stuck in a massive queue first on a Monday morning, as a Diamond member of over 200 flights a year...). My colleagues were clearly in the same wavelength and we all ended up switching to Lufthansa: don’t get me wrong, this meant having to go through Frankfurt (talking about zoo...) at times but, overall and with most of my connections being through Munich, I/we never looked back (these days I don’t really have a choice as Lufthansa/Austrian ‘dominate’ the scene with little effort here at Sarajevo, with skyrocketing fares amongst other things...) but it was merely to make the point that the cuts performed by SAS are not really a minor issue for some/many/I don’t know.

G
Old May 27, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SAS has systematically shot itself in the foot with this semi premium economy concept on regional Europe flights. Granted the competition they face is Norwegian and other LCCs, but there is a demand for some premium service, especially to feed their lounghaul business cabin, which is pretty good. Why on earth would a business traveller want to rub shoulders with someone and be served a cube (along with a bread roll and no napkin) when flying to CPH to catch a longhaul business class flight? Is it so difficult/expensive to keep the seat next to them free and serve a simple tray with glasses and silverware? Penny wise pound foolish.
AlicorporateUK and JR67 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:11 am

I agree there are a couple of airports where I would like SK to revisit their lounge policy. PRG is anther one of them and one where I also have switched to LH when going there. But in the big picture it's really minor issues not worth whining about.[...] It all become about turning travel time into work time and here fast track and lounge access is key
Well, you said it yourself. Lounge access is key (part of it at least...). Since it allows to use the time at the airport efficiently for work. And

PRG is anther one of them and one where I also have switched to LH when going there.
+
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
My colleagues were clearly in the same wavelength and we all ended up switching to Lufthansa

Same for me, my colleagues and customers I know of. For a lot of us, we have to connect to those airports anyway, then we just chose LH or some other Star Alliance carrier which still gives us contract lounge access. Worst part is, SK wanted to cut cost and now facing reduced loads and less revenue on those routes and will probably think they can't afford to reintroduce contract lounge access. Which leas to even a steeper decline.

Also, to be honest... for a lot of those airports e.g. WRO SKs pricing is ridiculous compare to LH or LO.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SAS has systematically shot itself in the foot with this semi premium economy concept on regional Europe flights. Granted the competition they face is Norwegian and other LCCs, but there is a demand for some premium service, especially to feed their lounghaul business cabin, which is pretty good. Why on earth would a business traveller want to rub shoulders with someone and be served a cube (along with a bread roll and no napkin) when flying to CPH to catch a longhaul business class flight? Is it so difficult/expensive to keep the seat next to them free and serve a simple tray with glasses and silverware? Penny wise pound foolish.
The gents high up in Stockholm living in their own world. And what they decide is fantastic. PERIOD. But granted, it seems to work and the imminent danger of going bankrupt seems to be mitigated for the moment. Let's see how that goes.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
While this could be true for the majority of SAS travellers (I don’t know), the cuts in terms of lounges and fast tracks were a major blow for those like myself departing from not-so small outstations (SAS has a good number of services out of Gdańsk, for instance): admittedly, I didn’t really care about the lounge as I was normally travelling on the first morning service, but the fast track was really important to me because those ‘smaller’ airports have a large number of flights (mostly low-cost carriers) and ‘standard’ security can (rather, is) a proper zoo
Fast track and contract lounges are 2 different topics not related to each other. To my knowledge there were no cut of fast track when the contract lounges were terminated. For all the SK flights I've had out of PRG after the cut of the contract lounge, I still had fast track when flying plus and there were no *A gold track when the termination of the lounge happened.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Why on earth would a business traveller want to rub shoulders with someone and be served a cube (along with a bread roll and no napkin) when flying to CPH to catch a longhaul business class flight? Is it so difficult/expensive to keep the seat next to them free and serve a simple tray with glasses and silverware? Penny wise pound foolish.
It's still not a business product. It's only a premium economy product. Which other airline keep the middle seat free in premium economy or have better service than SK on premium economy (food excluded)?

Well, you said it yourself. Lounge access is key (part of it at least...). Since it allows to use the time at the airport efficiently for work. And
And for 99% of my flights I have lounge access and so does my colleges and I'm pretty sure 99% of SK's other pax's. It's only a small number of small outstations, where not even *A has bothered with a lounge where it's an issue.

For a lot of us, we have to connect to those airports anyway, then we just chose LH or some other Star Alliance carrier which still gives us contract lounge access. Worst part is, SK wanted to cut cost and now facing reduced loads and less revenue on those routes and will probably think they can't afford to reintroduce contract lounge access. Which leas to even a steeper decline.
I strongly doubt the cut of contract lounges has decreased the load factor very much. Again remember. To get lounge access on those outstations, you need to be in plus or EBG or higher. It's potentially 20 pax on a flight which meet this requirements, and I strongly doubt more than 2 of them had changed their flight pattern due to the cut of contract lounges.

The gents high up in Stockholm living in their own world.
Different people has different priorities, and thank god for that. Otherwise we would be robots. Instead of whining about minor inconveniences, try look at the bigger picture. You are flying with an airline, which has a good safety record, one of the highest ontime records, deals with disruptions effectively, are fast at accepting and paying out disruption claim, and normally have competitive prices for comparable products. Is it really still worth whining about lack of lounges in a couple of airports where *A doesn't give a crap either, or the poor food and service on board or lack of blocked middle seat, which by the way no other airlines does on premium economy?
Old May 27, 2019, 4:22 am

You might want to cut back on the word ‘whining’. sounds really condescending.

I think stating the facts, e.g. that for me it makes a difference and I base my decision to book or not to book SK around things like these minor inconveniences like you call them. That isn’t whining.

And yes, in general there are a lot of things why I book SK. But I’m not ignoring the shortcomings and if at some point (or for some destinations) SK is not convenient... well, I’ll book at the competition. And I suppose a lot of people do.

Old May 27, 2019, 4:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In Europe independent *A carriers like TP/SK/LO compete for the premium market that the UA/AC/LH A+ plus partners have priced themselves out of. This is done by offering 2000-3000€ longhaul tickets with a transfer in LIS/WAW/CPH where the others want 4000-5000€ for the direct flight. Right now this is the only reason why they get this business. TP & LO atleast make a figleaf effort to pretend they are offering a premium end to end product. I know TAP has now copied SAS in removing lounge access in non *A hubs. Maybe that is a big cost factor that saves you from bk
AlicorporateUK, JR67 and Jainzar like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
I doubt SK will see your whining here.
And we all know that if they do, they will ignore it....
Old May 27, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
So is not whining?
Well. I've been EBD for 6 years in a row with at least 1 year where I earned enough points for EBD status twice. Over the last 20 years, I've had an average of 20 flights a year. If that doesn't make me a frequent flyer I don't really know what it take to be a frequent flyer.
Most frequent flyer I know of don't care about the service on board. They care about having fast track security access, lounge access and proper handling of disruptions. All things that SAS is pretty good at. The termination of the contract lounges on the smaller outstations is in reality only a minor issue as most PLUS pax already are *G members and therefore have access to the *G lounges.
The airports where SAS used contract lounges are ONLY at airports that do not have *G lounges...

I almost always agree with you, but I do not agree with this latest defence of SK. They are an incompetent airline run by an overpaid and amazingly incompetent CEO. The don't give a damn about their status flyers, and care even less about their non-status (but paying out of their own pocket) customers. This airline is doomed to bankruptcy as soon as the Nordic governments stop bailing it out.

Too bad, since I am a year away from LTG...
lhrpete and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: EBG

I think stating the facts, e.g. that for me it makes a difference and I base my decision to book or not to book SK around things like these minor inconveniences like you call them. That isn’t whining.

And yes, in general there are a lot of things why I book SK. But I’m not ignoring the shortcomings and if at some point (or for some destinations) SK is not convenient... well, I’ll book at the competition. And I suppose a lot of people do.

i agree, a petulant child whines. A adult complains and complaints are ok if they have some justification behind them.

Fassy, that’s what’s going on. Sas is not at the top of the list As soon as I get gold ( usually a few months) they drop to the bottom. I still use them but there have to be good reasons. Fast track, lounge I already get.

I am always surprised how much Sas leaves on the table.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
May I just make a slightly pedantic point?

SAS Ireland is indeed that but I have yet to meet an Irish member of their crew or hear the voice of an Irish pilot on the PA.

The cabin crew seem to be mostly Eastern Europeans and I've also met a few Russian. The pilots are a mixed bunch, quite a few picked up in the UK when Monarch went to the wall but SAS Ireland is not an Irish crewed airline.

I also think service standards are poor compared to main line although flying out of LHR we seem stuck with them. Couldn't they be shared around a bit more and inflicted on other markets?
AlicorporateUK and Dover2Golf like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:41 am

True, very few Irish crew members. One of the FAs last week was Irish but mostly they are not.

But like the Swedish crews the SK Ireland crews tend to be younger than the average Danish crew which form my experience makes a difference in their service attitude.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:57 am

Picking another airline for any reason is not whining, but using every single opportunity to complain about the reason here, is. Everyone has different opinion about what good service is. Some like a lot of attention. Personally I like to be left alone and not bothered with offers of water, more wine, bread etc. every 5 min.

And so do I, but I don't use every opportunity to complain here about what I think are wrong with an airline. I like to look be positive and look at the bright side and bigger picture, so when the fundamentals are good the rest is minor inconveniences I'll either have to live with or complain directly to the airline about. No reason to whine about it here.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by JR67
The airports where SAS used contract lounges are ONLY at airports that do not have *G lounges...
I'm pretty sure some of the airports had *G lounges, but some of them has been discontinues since.

Originally Posted by JR67
I almost always agree with you, but I do not agree with this latest defence of SK.
Well. I'm actually not defending SK here. I'm whining about the constant whining about the constant whining about the on board service and comparing of a premium eco product on one airline to a bizz product on another. If not getting the table cloth and only a plastic cup for you wine, is the worst you have to complain about, it must have been a good flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.