SAS Plus Intra Europe - what happened?

Old Oct 2, 19, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Does anybody have recent experience flying SAS Plus ex-LHR without status, specifically lounge access? Booking class is SAS Plus Smart (P), flying LHR-ARN in November.

My bookings online does not list a lounge in London and I am aware of third party lounges being stopped a couple of years ago, but we had some discussion on the BA board as to whether access to *A lounges at LHR T2 is still given, and whether you are limited to the LH lounge if so. Can anyone kindly confirm?
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:01 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire View Post
Does anybody have recent experience flying SAS Plus ex-LHR without status, specifically lounge access? Booking class is SAS Plus Smart (P), flying LHR-ARN in November.

My bookings online does not list a lounge in London and I am aware of third party lounges being stopped a couple of years ago, but we had some discussion on the BA board as to whether access to *A lounges at LHR T2 is still given, and whether you are limited to the LH lounge if so. Can anyone kindly confirm?
There is still lounge access at Star Alliance lounges for intra Europe flights.
St Elmos Fire likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There is still lounge access at Star Alliance lounges for intra Europe flights.
Then I will get there much earlier than otherwise planned! Thanks
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:41 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
When booking SAS Plus intra-europe, the class is "C". That means you will have access to Star Alliance lounges, in accordance with the *A lounge acces policy (international business class flight). I highly(!) recommend taking the long walk over to SQ, UA and ACīs lounges, which in my opinion are way better than the LH lounge, which is closer to boarding (especially the UA cocktails....).

I had the same question a year ago, when contacting SK, they said I only had access to LH. That is rubbish and not true, I visited UA with SAS Plus and no status.
RoyalSwazi and St Elmos Fire like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner View Post
I highly(!) recommend taking the long walk over to SQ, UA and ACīs lounges, which in my opinion are way better than the LH lounge, which is closer to boarding (especially the UA cocktails....).
Iíve never done this as people here say it is a long walk.

But it how long is it really? Is it for instance like considering the SAS lounge at CPH a few years back when the domestic flights were from Terminal 1. Or is it even longer than that?

And is there passport control in either direction?
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:59 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SASegments View Post
Iíve never done this as people here say it is a long walk.

But it how long is it really? Is it for instance like considering the SAS lounge at CPH a few years back when the domestic flights were from Terminal 1. Or is it even longer than that?

And is there passport control in either direction?
There are no passport control between parts of the terminal. 5 to 10 minutes walk in either direction I would say.
Old Oct 2, 19, 7:30 am

Are the SQ/AC/UA lounges any better than the BA Galleries First? Flying ex-LHR and have a choice of SK/BA. With BA (Gold) I can use First Wing, straight into the lounge. Never flown SK ex-LHR so not sure how that experience is?
Old Oct 2, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
Are the SQ/AC/UA lounges any better than the BA Galleries First? Flying ex-LHR and have a choice of SK/BA. With BA (Gold) I can use First Wing, straight into the lounge. Never flown SK ex-LHR so not sure how that experience is?
Any lounge in T2 is better than any lounge in T5!
St Elmos Fire and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
Any lounge in T2 is better than any lounge in T5!
Pretty sure Galleries First (or, of course, the Concorde Room) beats most everything that gold/business will get you at T2. But T2 is a much nicer terminal otherwise.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and LT Plat, Radisson Platinum
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
Is there anything you care particularly about? Food, drinks, ambience, ...? This could inform your choice of lounge.

That said, the First Wing in itself is hard to beat. Not to say that fast-track security at T2 is bad, but in my opinion, thereís something special about strolling through the First Wing directly into the lounge. But then again, if youíre planning on spending a couple of hours in the lounge, the 10 minutes it takes you (at most) to get through security hardly matter.
Old Oct 2, 19, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer View Post
Is there anything you care particularly about? Food, drinks, ambience, ...? This could inform your choice of lounge.

That said, the First Wing in itself is hard to beat. Not to say that fast-track security at T2 is bad, but in my opinion, thereís something special about strolling through the First Wing directly into the lounge. But then again, if youíre planning on spending a couple of hours in the lounge, the 10 minutes it takes you (at most) to get through security hardly matter.
Convenience and a good meal (as I won't get one onboard). I'm leaning towards BA since I usually transit at LHR and don't get to experience the F Wing, plus they have proper champagne and table service. But if, for example, the SQ lounge is something wow (like CX F at T3) then I'd probably rather go with that option (SK is also the cheaper option).
Old Oct 2, 19, 1:46 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
Pretty sure Galleries First (or, of course, the Concorde Room) beats most everything that gold/business will get you at T2. But T2 is a much nicer terminal otherwise.
I agree with the lounge aspect of this. The LH lounge is often crowded - in both sections no less. The AC lounge is beautiful but also lacks space. Food quality in LH is good of course. AC was meh. I've never bothered with the UA or SQ lounges. Nothing is going to be comparable to what First Class lounges have to offer IMO

As far as the terminals themselves, on one hand I'm partial to the shopping in T5 but I find T2 overall more pleasant given that it doesn't feel nearly as cramped and feels much easier to get around
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and LT Plat, Radisson Platinum
All valid points above. As for food, GF does give you table service, LH will typically have a choice of two different hot dishes (often either something with rice or pasta) and soup, nothing special, but it will fill you up. I can’t speak to the food in the T2-B lounges.

As for convenience, of course GF is super convenient through the F wing. But as you mention SK, I assume you’re flying short-haul - in which case you may want to consider the non-negligble risk that your SH BA flight might depart from T5-B or C (or A10). Whereas unless you are taking the first flight of the day, having SK depart from T2-B would be very unusual.

But yes, GF does have real champagne, which makes the trek to T5-C easier to bear
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer View Post
All valid points above. As for food, GF does give you table service, LH will typically have a choice of two different hot dishes (often either something with rice or pasta) and soup, nothing special, but it will fill you up. I canít speak to the food in the T2-B lounges.

As for convenience, of course GF is super convenient through the F wing. But as you mention SK, I assume youíre flying short-haul - in which case you may want to consider the non-negligble risk that your SH BA flight might depart from T5-B or C (or A10). Whereas unless you are taking the first flight of the day, having SK depart from T2-B would be very unusual.

But yes, GF does have real champagne, which makes the trek to T5-C easier to bear
Thanks, yes, and considering how often I am at LH/LX lounges at their different hubs, the last thing I want is another visit to a SEN lounge! Not a fan of their catering, whereas BA seems to have nice food at T5 (but not at outstations - case in point their "F" lounge at JFK...with no proper food unless you're flying business or first)
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:10 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
There is one area where all of the T2 lounges beats the BA lounges by several boat lengths. Cleaning. The BA lounges always look like cleaning is not a daily event, let alone during the opening hours. Also BA seems happy to leave used service items on the tables for hours, even if no guest is at that table..

The First Wing is excellent, but the GF lounge is not really worthy of the First Class lounge name. It is in fact the Galleries Emerald lounge, as the F passengers have the Concorde Room.
AStarr likes this.

Search this Thread