Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Missing 5000 status points to reach Gold - easiest way to get there?

Old May 18, 19, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Need 5000 points to reach EB Gold. Have maxed earning potential in both Amex Elite (20k) and DNB Saga EB MasterCard. (2x10k) Any tips on how to easily and cheaply achieve the lacking 5000 status points to achieve gold? Have previously had both the Diners EB Card and Sas Mastercard, so no possibility there (as status points only are given once to new clients...)

thank you in advance guys!
Old May 18, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Silver), Marriott (Titatinum), AccorHotels (Gold),IHG (member),
Fly LH on business

Hi,

The best way I found to "easily" score on EB is to fly LH on business class on middle-haul flights through FRA or MUC. They have an aggressive fare policy to attract passengers from all over Europe. I fly from Paris and credit on EB but I checked, you have quite the same fares from at least ARN or GOT (didn't check for other cities).

xxx-MUC/FRA-xxx return in P class (business saver) scores 3K points (750 per segment).

For example I chosed random dates (14 to 16th june), departing from ARN :
London : 4 503 SEK
Malaga : 4400 SEK
Istanbul : 4600 SEK
Rome : 4200 SEK
Milan : 4400 SEK

Be careful about combined LH/LX flights : LH scores 750 per segment and if my memory is good LX 600.

Btw for the future look at their long haul biz and first. I booked a first for 3600€ from CDG to HKG (booked 3 months in advance) and it scored 40K on EB ! Very cost-effective .

Last edited by bduperrin; May 18, 19 at 8:34 am Reason: typos
Old May 18, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by Galdalf.81 View Post
Need 5000 points to reach EB Gold. Have maxed earning potential in both Amex Elite (20k) and DNB Saga EB MasterCard. (2x10k) Any tips on how to easily and cheaply achieve the lacking 5000 status points to achieve gold? Have previously had both the Diners EB Card and Sas Mastercard, so no possibility there (as status points only are given once to new clients...)

You can buy the points on the EB web site.
Old May 18, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by bduperrin View Post
Hi,

The best way I found to "easily" score on EB is to fly LH on business class on middle-haul flights through FRA or MUC. They have an aggressive fare policy to attract passengers from all over Europe. I fly from Paris and credit on EB but I checked, you have quite the same fares from at least ARN or GOT (didn't check for other cities).

xxx-MUC/FRA-xxx return in P class (business saver) scores 3K points (750 per segment).

Be careful about combined LH/LX flights : LH scores 750 per segment and if my memory is good LX 600.

Btw for the future look at their long haul biz and first. I booked a first for 3600€ from CDG to HKG (booked 3 months in advance) and it scored 40K on EB ! Very cost-effective .
I never earned this way, but this sounds expensive to me. Get a direct flight from ARN to any place in Europe (except for selected places in Baltics). It should be possible to find a deal for about 2000 DKK return in plus. Each segment pays 1875 for EBD (and I think the same for gold), or 1500 if you are silver.
Old May 18, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: *G

Although you've had the SAS Mastercard before, I'm pretty sure you can still get the 12.000 points yearly with the premium mastercard (1495 NOK/SEK/DKK/year). It's only the sign-up bonus that is limited to new customers... That route would take 5 months though, as they add 1k per month.

Nothing against you, it's always fun to see people maximize, but looking at EuroBonus... Ridicolous you can get gold and ~58% of the way to diamond without flying!
Old May 18, 19, 10:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Silver), Marriott (Titatinum), AccorHotels (Gold),IHG (member),
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
I never earned this way, but this sounds expensive to me. Get a direct flight from ARN to any place in Europe (except for selected places in Baltics). It should be possible to find a deal for about 2000 DKK return in plus. Each segment pays 1875 for EBD (and I think the same for gold), or 1500 if you are silver.
You sais easiest, not cheapest.
The truth is that it will alsays be more cost effective to make a couple trips in biz that a lot in coach to reach the same amount of points.
Old May 19, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBD (*G), BA Bronze, KLM Gold, Emirates Silver
The truth is that it will alsays be more cost effective to make a couple trips in biz that a lot in coach to reach the same amount of points.
I think you underestimate the points you get for SK plus vs. points on LH biz. Essentially you need 2 LH P legs to give same as 1 SK plus leg.
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 19, 19, 4:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Hi,

If you add the costs for going to the airport etc. it's probably cheaper to buy the basic points. The price is 1,000 DKK/NOK/SEK or 10,000 extra points per 1,000 basic points, and you can buy them up till 3 months after your qualification period ends. You can purchase a maximum of 5,000 points for Silver level, 15,000 points for Gold and 30,000 points for Diamond level.
You can find the link to the purchase site on you personal EB page, or you can use this link https://points.flysas.com/login
Old May 19, 19, 4:35 am

The easiest way would be to buy the points.
Old May 19, 19, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by tgj1974 View Post
I think you underestimate the points you get for SK plus vs. points on LH biz. Essentially you need 2 LH P legs to give same as 1 SK plus leg.
I think that you need to fine-tune your search query to earn more points.

This has an OK price, but you may wish to reduce the waiting time in ZRH:

This is too expensive, but the search could maybe be improved:
Old May 19, 19, 6:29 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G

From which airport, and by when?

A return three-legged Plus on SK would probably be the best, e.g. XXX-OSL-CPH/ARN-YYY, XXX being a domestiv Norwegian airport, YYY being an European airport. Will give (750 + 750 + 1500) x 2 EB points, i.e. 6000 points (before EBG bonus)
Old May 19, 19, 11:23 am

@Gandalf

may I ask you what you try to get from 0 to Gold without actually flying? If you already have 40k Status points, the 5.000 extra shouldn’t be any problem if you travel enough to actually use the benefits? Or if you don’t, it might be more cost effective to pay for Plus travel or pay up for some benefits?
SK2751 and JR67 like this.
Old May 19, 19, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Some person View Post
I think that you need to fine-tune your search query to earn more points.

This has an OK price, but you may wish to reduce the waiting time in ZRH:

This is too expensive, but the search could maybe be improved:
If you are on a MR, try to avoid flying interscandinavia, and get a direct fligth to Germany, France, Poland (except for the North, AFAIR), or UK. This pays double points. In principle 3 plus legs are enough, but from ARN it may be difficult to do three PLUS legs that pay the full points. Still two returns from ARN should give you more than 5K, and should be cheaper than 4000 dkr in total if you search a bit. The price (10kkr) quoted above seems insane. I never pay so much for PLUS. Also remember, if you have time, that you can upgrade to plus for about 400kr on PLUSGRADE, and it almost always works on short haul European flights. If you can take a risk, or have some flights scheduled, upgrade them. You earn full points on PLUSGRADE upgrades.
Old May 19, 19, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
Also remember, if you have time, that you can upgrade to plus for about 400kr on PLUSGRADE, and it almost always works on short haul European flights. If you can take a risk, or have some flights scheduled, upgrade them. You earn full points on PLUSGRADE upgrades.
It looks as if the OP has obtained 40,000 basic points without flying and now wants the remaining 5,000 needed to attain EBG status. I fail to see why you would need EBG status if you don't fly, but I assume that the OP has some reason for this and so I assumed that you have to look for options involving minimal flying. With minimal flying, relying on Plusgrade seems too risky.

My first option had two SAS flights (ARN-ZRH & MUC-ARN) in Plus, plus two additional Star Alliance flights (LX/LH) for some extra points. I think this gives the necessary 5,000 points if you currently are EBG or EBD. 2×1500 points for the SK flights, EBG/EBD bonus 750 points, 600 points for the LX flight and 750 points for the LH flight give in total 5,100 points, unless I'm wrong.

My second option had six SK flights. 4×750 points plus 2×1500 points give 6000 points even if you don't have EBG. Unfortunately, it's a bit expensive.
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 20, 19, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Some person View Post
It looks as if the OP has obtained 40,000 basic points without flying and now wants the remaining 5,000 needed to attain EBG status. I fail to see why you would need EBG status if you don't fly, but I assume that the OP has some reason for this and so I assumed that you have to look for options involving minimal flying. With minimal flying, relying on Plusgrade seems too risky.

My first option had two SAS flights (ARN-ZRH & MUC-ARN) in Plus, plus two additional Star Alliance flights (LX/LH) for some extra points. I think this gives the necessary 5,000 points if you currently are EBG or EBD. 2×1500 points for the SK flights, EBG/EBD bonus 750 points, 600 points for the LX flight and 750 points for the LH flight give in total 5,100 points, unless I'm wrong.
You're right. I missed (hasty reading!) that the two legs were operated by SK. The price is also very fine (especially if this is in SEK). You're probably right that plusgrade is not an option for someone who does not fly enough. It is a good option for those that have to fly a lot of GO segments anyways.

Search this Thread