FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Upgrade on award ticket, possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1969823-upgrade-award-ticket-possible.html)

DonnyJohn May 15, 2019 8:31 am

Upgrade on award ticket, possible?

Looking at the ticket to Beijing next year, seems the maximum numbers of business class ticket are 2 with 4 plus. I've booked two biz tickets for wife and son, could anyone help if the upgrade is possibleif I book another SAS plus seat?

Thanks

fassy May 15, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn (Post 31103793)
could anyone help if the upgrade is possibleif I book another SAS plus seat

Not according to the rules. So, there is no option to call in and ask for an upgrade or apply on the website for a confirmed upgrade. From my experience it works sometimes at the airport at check-in or at the boarding gate. But this depends on the staff of the station, it is easier in one of the SK hubs and quite difficult in the outstations.

You can also book the ticket and check back regularly if more J awards open up and rebook the Plus tickets. It is not impossible to get 3 or 4 J awards to PEK.

DonnyJohn May 15, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check later see if more J awards open up

JR67 May 17, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn (Post 31103793)
Looking at the ticket to Beijing next year, seems the maximum numbers of business class ticket are 2 with 4 plus. I've booked two biz tickets for wife and son, could anyone help if the upgrade is possibleif I book another SAS plus seat?

Thanks

I just returned from an award trip last week - J availability CPH-ORD, but only Plus for the return. Chanced it with Plusgrade and got the expected negative reply. No problem getting a gate upgrade to 1d/f at ORD on departure. So here is one data point that says you might get it, but it is definitely far from certain.

w0r1dtrave1er May 17, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31110559)
I just returned from an award trip last week - J availability CPH-ORD, but only Plus for the return. Chanced it with Plusgrade and got the expected negative reply. No problem getting a gate upgrade to 1d/f at ORD on departure. So here is one data point that says you might get it, but it is definitely far from certain.

Seems that's one of the easier routes for upgrading. How does gate upgrade work? Did you buy the upgrade or mention you're Diamond/Gold?

CPH-Flyer May 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er (Post 31111123)
Seems that's one of the easier routes for upgrading. How does gate upgrade work? Did you buy the upgrade or mention you're Diamond/Gold?

Ask at check in if you originate at ORD, otherwise go to the gate early and ask

JR67 May 18, 2019 12:32 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31112565)
Ask at check in if you originate at ORD, otherwise go to the gate early and ask

This time it worked differently than what I usually experience - I requested at check-in, fully expecting my new boarding cards on the spot. I get bc's with my plus seats and told that I am "on standby" and to talk to the gate staff. Left lounge at t-80 minutes and the staff was there. Talked to them, and was asked if I was on the waiting list. Said yes, and they issued the new bc's and I happily trotted back to the lounge. I have always previously gotten this taken care of at check-in, so I guess this may be a new policy? Or maybe just standard unpredictability from SK?

JR67 May 18, 2019 12:35 am

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er (Post 31111123)

Mentioning your status will most likely get you nowhere. CU's come via mail and you know it before you get to the airport. I have only once gotten a "deal" on upgrades, and that was 4 for the price of 2 on an unusually empty flight ex-IAD. Otherwise you pay full price with points or cash.

highupinthesky May 18, 2019 1:01 am

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31113334)
This time it worked differently than what I usually experience - I requested at check-in, fully expecting my new boarding cards on the spot. I get bc's with my plus seats and told that I am "on standby" and to talk to the gate staff. Left lounge at t-80 minutes and the staff was there. Talked to them, and was asked if I was on the waiting list. Said yes, and they issued the new bc's and I happily trotted back to the lounge. I have always previously gotten this taken care of at check-in, so I guess this may be a new policy? Or maybe just standard unpredictability from SK?

If it was at ORD, it could be down to check-in staff not knowing the procedures. Some 3-5 years ago I was flying back through ORD. It was pre plusgrade so I asked for an upgrade at the check-in and was told I had to ask at the gate. Went to the gate early and got the upgrade. In the plane I happened to talk to a guy who got the upgrade solved at the check-in. He actually did the check-in at the same time as me just 2 desks away.

GUWonder May 18, 2019 6:53 am

I have had SAS op-up upgrade me on some long-haul flights as a UA*G, LH*G and A3*G using award tickets issued by SK partner airlines. But for me, most of those were into or out of CPH and almost never out or ARN nor OSL. I haven’t asked SAS check-in staff to be upgraded on these flights.

SAS never upgrades me out of ORD as an OAL*G, even as I buy at least 20 regular paid tickets a year for ORD-CPH/ARN-ORD and am on many a flight that is sold out in economy class and/or premium economy class. Enough of those flights are booked in economy or premium economy that I would have expected at least one op-up to happen in recent years, but it doesn’t happen for me at ORD.

CPH-Flyer May 18, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31113334)

It is not unusual that they note the request at check in, and the final outcome is only known at the gate. Usually, when they know it will depend if everyone shows up for check-in or make their connections.