Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Expedia says SAS itinerary bookable, SAS website says routes N/A... should i book?

Expedia says SAS itinerary bookable, SAS website says routes N/A... should i book?

Old May 14, 19, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at booking a ticket from LAX - DBV, returning SPU - LAX.

Expedia and other sites say i can book it and seem to be able to confirm when i go through the process.

i checked the SAS website and it says neither of those routes is bookable.

i've been on hold on the phone with them an extended period of time and haven't been able to reach anyone.

thoughts on if this is risky booking this since the website says those routes are not valid or if i get confirmations from Expedia, etc. i should assume good to go?

thanks!
Old May 14, 19, 12:55 pm

The SAS website is just messed up and often enough doesn't show all the options. I can see in the "SAS for Business" booking tool for some random day:

LAX-ARN-DBV
SPU-CPH-ARN-LAX

All on SK, but also in other combinations with AA, AS, UA, A3 or JP are available for booking.

If Expedia is selling you the ticket, not a problem. Or call SK (did you try the Swedish number during European business hours?) and have it booked with them. In general, I always avoid going through OTAs and always book with either a brick and mortar TA or directly the airline.
Old May 14, 19, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
The SAS website is just messed up and often enough doesn't show all the options. I can see in the "SAS for Business" booking tool for some random day:

LAX-ARN-DBV
SPU-CPH-ARN-LAX

All on SK, but also in other combinations with AA, AS, UA, A3 or JP are available for booking.

If Expedia is selling you the ticket, not a problem. Or call SK (did you try the Swedish number during European business hours?) and have it booked with them. In general, I always avoid going through OTAs and always book with either a brick and mortar TA or directly the airline.
thanks for the quick reply!

i've not been able to reach them on phone on the US # (i never get off of hold).

like you I like to book direct via the website...

the fact you were able to get that routing to show up in the SAS for Business tool def makes me feel better.

thanks!
Old May 14, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
The SK web site are not showing all available flight. It's only showing the flights where SK has code shares etc. and only if there are available seats on all legs. When you call them, they have access to a lot more flights and can book you on almost anything. If I'm not in a rush, I often use the EB diamond support mail address for the none standard bookings. They normally reply the same day or the day after.
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

update! after an hour on hold i reached someone on the telephone at SAS and they were able to confirm almost the same itinerary as what i had seen online for tad higher similar price/slightly shorter return flight time... and they were able to reproduce my problem so they waived the $40 telephone call in fee.
clifford79 and oliver2002 like this.
Old May 16, 19, 1:19 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Excellent choice. I would always pay a tad more gladly, to get a booking directly with an earliner instead of an OTA.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 2:19 am

I would not advice using SAS service after their pilot strike in April. Bad service.
Old May 16, 19, 2:40 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by john2233 View Post
I would not advice using SAS service after their pilot strike in April. Bad service.
??? Haven't you read all the good responses as to how they handled the disruptions during the strike? And given almost all major airlines has been affected by strikes within the last couple of years. Which airline would you then recommend?
Old May 19, 19, 6:16 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by john2233 View Post
No reason not to use SAS. The strike was legal and it was announced well in advance that there might be a strike, In Scandinavia, strikes like this might come when major contracts are renegotiated, usually late spring every other year. It is not like LH where pilots might strike to days in a given week, nor like AF with their wildcat strikes. Disruptions generally were very well handled. Duty of care was given (food, accomodation), rebooking worked well, especially for international itineraries (less so for domestic, due to lack of alternatives). The one open question is whether strikes are covered for EU261 compensation, but that is a legal question, not a service question.

As for the OP: SAS websit is notorious for not listing all available flights, not listing flights with more legs than three each way, and tickets with different origin and final point. Thus open jaws like OSL-EWR/ORD-OSL might be booked, OSL-EWR-ARN cannot be booked online, but can be booked by phone, by travel agents., at wf.no and by using SAS for Business.
SK2751 likes this.

Search this Thread