Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EB/Star Alliance Lufthansa award ticket availability/release dates

Old May 13, 19, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Dear all,
Trying to book Eurobonus/Star Alliance award tickets for me and my family on business class from Oslo (OSL) (one stopover accepted) to the U.S. over Christmas 2019/2020. My dialogue with Star Alliance customer service indicates absolutelyno! availability of Lufthansa business class tickets what so ever.

Does anyone know whether Lufthansa releases their (Christmas) business class award tickets at or around some specific date/month in the year?

Thank you in advance, everyone!
Old May 13, 19, 3:46 pm

Christmas is a busy time, lot of people want to travel so most likely award availability isnít great to start with. And then probably grabbed as soon as they got released, which probably happened already months ago. I think you are too late in the game.

And Ďme and my familyí sound alike 3 or more seats required. Tough to get!

you could be lucky and they release more over time, so keep checkin regularly.

if you are flexible with timing and risk tolerant you could wait until few days out. I found availability like 5 to 10 days out rather good, even opens up F inventory for EB members.
Galdalf.81 likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 8:42 pm

If you wanna get booked now, there's 4 Plus seats widely available
Galdalf.81 likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 1:22 am

Another thing to consider... does it need to be Lufthansa? You have also the option UA, AC and SK to the states.

Donít be stuck in Lufthansa because they might have a direkt flight from FRA or MUC to wherever you want to go

Often enough it is possible to get the long haul leg in J, e.g. CPH-ORD and the segment to your final destination in Economy on UA. You can book this combination over the phone.
w0r1dtrave1er likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I think you need to rethink your strategy - expecting/hoping to find more than 1 seat in Business class for award tickets around X-mas is very likely to fail (in my view the chance of failure is much higher than LH releasing I class inventory). And because you need seats for the whole family it is going to be almost impossible.

I second the advice above. Try to get across the Atlantic on any carrier that has seats in business (e.g. AC from CPH, SK from OSL/ARN/CPH, UA from LHR, FRA, etc) and accept a connecting flight in the US with UA in Economy to your final destination. The "one stop/transfer only" attitude very much limits your options.

Good luck!
Old May 18, 19, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the constructive input. Ended up booking Swiss Business to Chicago, and back home through Boston. Will monitor increased availability going forward, potentially rebooking approching departure.

Does anybody know whether I post-booking might add domestic connecting award flights (within the US) without this demanding an insane amount of additional eurobonus points?

Old May 18, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Another thing to consider... does it need to be Lufthansa? You have also the option UA, AC and SK to the states.

Donít be stuck in Lufthansa because they might have a direkt flight from FRA or MUC to wherever you want to go

Often enough it is possible to get the long haul leg in J, e.g. CPH-ORD and the segment to your final destination in Economy on UA. You can book this combination over the phone.
Thanks for the input - I tried adding domestic connection (UA) but was informed that domestic award tickets have not yet been released. Anyone know whene these typically are being released?
Old May 18, 19, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Galdalf.81 View Post
Thanks for the constructive input. Ended up booking Swiss Business to Chicago, and back home through Boston. Will monitor increased availability going forward, potentially rebooking approching departure.
Does anybody know whether I post-booking might add domestic connecting award flights (within the US) without this demanding an insane amount of additional eurobonus points?
Shouldn't cost extra EuroBonus points. Just the change/rebooking fee of 150 SEK/person

Originally Posted by Galdalf.81 View Post
Thanks for the input - I tried adding domestic connection (UA) but was informed that domestic award tickets have not yet been released. Anyone know whene these typically are being released?
When is your flight? I would think UA should load award inventory 300 days out as well?
Galdalf.81 likes this.
Old May 19, 19, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Shouldn't cost extra EuroBonus points. Just the change/rebooking fee of 150 SEK/person

When is your flight? I would think UA should load award inventory 300 days out as well?
Christmas 2019-2020, so should be available assuming 300 day policy. Star Alliance customer service informs me no domestic UA flights have been released yet...
Old May 19, 19, 11:43 am

Sounds strange to me. Just looked up some random flight EWR-DEN on United and for sure there is availability in X Ďaroundí December 2019/2020. Not that much though... busy time!

both on the United Website and on the SAS Star Alliance Award booking tool.

it might be, there was no flight in the date (or like +/-2 days) and the agent thought they were not loaded.

best option ist to go on the Unites website, search for availability and then verify what you found in the SAS Star Alliance Award booking tool. The call in.

Search this Thread