FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Which program to credit to? *A (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1968207-program-credit.html)

copperred May 4, 2019 11:33 am

Which program to credit to? *A

I have a flight [IAD-CPH, ARN-ORD] in SAS Plus (PE, A class booking code, which is my preferred option) coming up and am looking at a question of which program I should credit it to. I have an existing AC Aeroplan account that I have credited SAS flights to last year and if I don't credit this one, those miles will expire. I joined EB because it seemed like a better option (for international I split between AC and SK but am pretty price sensitive) for this flight. I was earlier a regular flier on UA but they as an airline and as a mileage program, have been awful for several years. I know that the end run around this is to suck it up, get a UA mileage card, eat the fee every year, and maintain my miles there, but as it's unlikely I will fly them (I live in DC and they've eliminated much of their IAD traffic and insist on trying to connect me through EWR which is a hard pass) and their booking system often excludes AC and SK except by calling them directly.

What is my best option? I fly back to Scandinavia a couple of times a year, but try to use AC as well since I can pre-clear in Canada and fly straight to DCA, With SK the nonstop from IAD is worthwhile but IAD is expensive and sometimes a difficult experience to get to.

CPH-Flyer May 4, 2019 12:01 pm

For the specific flights you will get 5000 points each with SK and slightly more with AC as that is distance times 1.25. Question is of course the value of that, plus any elite qualifications you are thinking of. Unless you fly really a lot, splitting points in multiple accounts is rarely a good idea. So if you already have a chunk of Aeroplan miles, I would go with that

copperred May 4, 2019 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31066901)
For the specific flights you will get 5000 points each with SK and slightly more with AC as that is distance times 1.25. Question is of course the value of that, plus any elite qualifications you are thinking of. Unless you fly really a lot, splitting points in multiple accounts is rarely a good idea. So if you already have a chunk of Aeroplan miles, I would go with that

Thank you for the insight. I don't really have a bunch with AC, therein part of my dilemma, but perhaps that is the best option.

CPH-Flyer May 4, 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by copperred (Post 31067702)
Thank you for the insight. I don't really have a bunch with AC, therein part of my dilemma, but perhaps that is the best option.

Aeroplan is considered a very good points currency for Star Alliance. After the last devaluation of the partner redemption with Eurobonus, the same can hardly be said for Eurobonus

fransknorge May 5, 2019 9:25 am

Complete agreement with CPH-Flyer : always consolidate everything on one account per alliance except if you are a really frequent flyer. Stick to Aeroplan for the time being.
It does not really matter if you flight another airline than the one of your account.

GUWonder May 5, 2019 9:40 am

For earning elite status from the flights of relatives, I suggest MS/Egyptair’s program.

For acquiring redeemable miles from flights of relatives and/or friends in a program with relatively easy elite status acquisition/retention, I suggest A3/Aegean’s program.

For getting Star Alliance miles for redemption purposes, I use a mix of programs and even at times buy miles/points from Lifemiles.com and at times buy other points/miles for adding to my United Airlines program account.

My SAS point collection is a result of partner activity on the ground.

dabee69 May 5, 2019 3:00 pm

Turkish Airlines credit 150% of distance on SK booking class A. Those two routes would be roughly 13k on TK Miles & Smiles.

copperred May 6, 2019 10:31 am

Appreciate the advice on program credit, final thought

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31069395)
For earning elite status from the flights of relatives, I suggest MS/Egyptair’s program.

For acquiring redeemable miles from flights of relatives and/or friends in a program with relatively easy elite status acquisition/retention, I suggest A3/Aegean’s program.

For getting Star Alliance miles for redemption purposes, I use a mix of programs and even at times buy miles/points from Lifemiles.com and at times buy other points/miles for adding to my United Airlines program account.

My SAS point collection is a result of partner activity on the ground.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31067997)
Aeroplan is considered a very good points currency for Star Alliance. After the last devaluation of the partner redemption with Eurobonus, the same can hardly be said for Eurobonus

If at some future point I were to change my mind about UA (if only for maintaining mileage, not earning status) is there any value to getting their CC and such; I've had various versions before? AC has a CC that I believe is available in the US but I admit to already having too many CCs as is.AC is by far my preferred option to Asia (where I plan to travel more of the the next few years) and on long hauls (TA I usually suck it up at least one way in regular Y and I'm not that demanding) I prefer PE. This time in particular I may be traveling with a foot injury and couldn't risk it still being an issue with a bit less room to move.

I'm aware of the exasperation CCs cause as part of this conversation and how they do cannibalize many of the status benefits, but as my current employer doesn't allow us much travel I don't see chasing status as particularly likely or valuable at this time, or as much as it once was. I don't really need the relative accrual (wasn't even aware that was an option until I did some digging based on your info) but will keep that in the back of my skull.

Thank you all once again for your help, you've been invaluable. I have continued to lurk in the SAS forum for a decade, even when I haven't been flying as much because it's so informative and thoughtful.

headforflights May 10, 2019 7:30 am

I will would credit to Aegean

GUWonder May 10, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by headforflights (Post 31086637)
I will would credit to Aegean

I too credit most of my SAS flights to A3.

Selectively there is some pretty good redemption pricing using A3 miles, but the two segment limitation and the fuel surcharges for award travel on many of the carriers with the better award availability may mean that while this program is great for elite status acquisition/retention it is sort of weaker in award travel pricing.

But for those able to take 4 A3/OA flights a year and earn 12k status miles per year after initial *G qualification, A3 has a very good program for keeping *G status.

copperred May 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Quick update: I added my Aeroplan to the outbound but SAS's site threw an error about crediting it even though I should get 125% minimum at Aeroplan for it. I'll have to do it at the airport I guess.

Thanks again!

Mwenenzi May 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by copperred (Post 31101611)
Quick update: I added my Aeroplan to the outbound but SAS's site threw an error about crediting it even though I should get 125% minimum at Aeroplan for it. I'll have to do it at the airport I guess.

Is the name on the ticket exactly the same as in the ffp account?

You seem to be taking the airline flight, airline frequent flyer program and airline branded credit card one and the same. Does not need to be that way: they are all independent. Chasing & changing for the best ffp will result in disappointment.

What do you use the ff miles for? Or do you them expire?
Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Star Alliance: Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here

copperred May 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31101705)
Is the name on the ticket exactly the same as in the ffp account?

You seem to be taking the airline flight, airline frequent flyer program and airline branded credit card one and the same. Does not need to be that way: they are all independent. Chasing & changing for the best ffp will result in disappointment.

What do you use the ff miles for? Or do you them expire?
Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Star Alliance: Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here

Name matches at Areoplan although SAS doesn't give me the option to input my middle name on EB, so I have no idea how to address that.

highupinthesky May 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by copperred (Post 31105218)
Name matches at Areoplan although SAS doesn't give me the option to input my middle name on EB, so I have no idea how to address that.

Ticket number booking class etc. also has to be correct. A while ago I had a flight which I couldn't claim, but when I look closer at the ticket I could see that the booking class changed when the flight was rescheduled and with the new booking class it worked. Also be aware that the booking class on your boarding card might not be the same as the one on the ticket, and it's the one on the ticket which count.

Try search this forum. There is another tread regarding retroclaim, where the mail address is mentioned. It's ebretro or something similar. Otherwise, use the custom feedback form. It worked in the past for me although I now a days write directly to the diamond support mail address. They can fix everything.