Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Toddler on SAS - Car Seat/Stroller Questions

Traveling with Toddler on SAS - Car Seat/Stroller Questions

Old Apr 16, 19, 12:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Traveling with Toddler on SAS - Car Seat/Stroller Questions

Wife, daughter (18 months) and I are traveling BOS-CPH, then CPH-ARN, and then ARN-BOS (through CPH) next month. Had some questions on baggage allowances/stroller/car seats. All 3 passengers are booked on 1 PNR, with 3 individual tickets (daughter has her own seat, booked as a "Child in Seat" Fare) - all booked in Economy (T).

Per discussion with a CSR, baggage fees are $60 booked in advance, $120 at the airport. However - not sure about the following:

We have a collapsible stroller we plan on bringing. Can this be gate checked for free? Based on this link, it seems yes, but not sure if it can be gate checked or would have to be checked prior to going through security in each airport. https://www.flysas.com/us-en/help-an...extra-baggage/ Are there gate checking restrictions at BOS, CPH, and/or ARN?

We will be bringing a convertible car seat with us (ideally, rear facing when used in the seat, but can be forward facing if required)? The car seat is an "Evenflo Tribute LX" - dimensions are 17" W x 25" H (43 cm x 65 cm). Looks like this exceeds the dimensions allowed by SAS from what I see online, but the dimensions that are specified online would not satisfy any US car seat that I know of that is acceptable for 1+ year toddlers (not infants). Is this policy enforced? I have not had any issues using the car seat on any domestic carrier in the past - but understand that a foreign one may be different. If they are not allowed, what are my options for restraining a toddler on the flight? She is obviously too little to use just the seatbelt.
gofarhaveacigar is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 2:48 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,277
SAS at ARN and (somewhat less so) at CPH try to make most strollers get checked in landside with the oversize luggage. Even the Maclaren type collapsible strollers that could fit in an overhead bin if taking up the whole bin while doing so.

IIRC with SAS, the included allowance for child strollers and car seats is different based on age of child and/or maybe whether or not the child is a lap child or not. I do know that SAS now handles the stroller and car seat related allowance differently than US carriers (even when looking at US carriers for comparable city pairs to SK service). US carriers are more generous with child related baggage allowance than SK.

The CARES harness works for toddlers in economy class on SAS international, regional and domestic flights, but for a one-two year old, a car seat is generally more comfortable.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:33 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Denmark
Programs: Eurobonus
Posts: 39
We’ve travelled long haul with infants and toddlers several times. We’ve never used a car seat and we’ve avoided bassinet seats for several years as they are horribly uncomfortable for others due to the wall and the fixed armrests.

Having a seat for a 18 months old toddler sounds like a luxury and you might want to consider not bringing any car seat and just be using the seatbelt?

For takeoff and landing all European carriers will have an infant belt that is clipped onto the adult seat belt. Obviously the child would then go on lap for that but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use that for the remainder of the flight as well when the child is in own seat sleeping or whatever.

Stroller policy is very airport dependent and somewhat unreliable. Our experience is never trust what check in staff tells you as they often don’t know. We’ve been promised delivery at aircraft lots of times without getting it.

In understand you are getting off in CPH and not just in transit. In that event you should be prepared to wait for the stroller for up to an hour at the belt. CPH is horrible when it comes to that.
SASegments is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 4:55 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,277
Originally Posted by SASegments View Post
We’ve travelled long haul with infants and toddlers several times. We’ve never used a car seat and we’ve avoided bassinet seats for several years as they are horribly uncomfortable for others due to the wall and the fixed armrests.

Having a seat for a 18 months old toddler sounds like a luxury and you might want to consider not bringing any car seat and just be using the seatbelt?

For takeoff and landing all European carriers will have an infant belt that is clipped onto the adult seat belt. Obviously the child would then go on lap for that but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use that for the remainder of the flight as well when the child is in own seat sleeping or whatever.

Stroller policy is very airport dependent and somewhat unreliable. Our experience is never trust what check in staff tells you as they often don’t know. We’ve been promised delivery at aircraft lots of times without getting it.

In understand you are getting off in CPH and not just in transit. In that event you should be prepared to wait for the stroller for up to an hour at the belt. CPH is horrible when it comes to that.
[email protected] generally won't do gate-side delivery of strollers checked in a the gate -- even when tagged for delivery at gate. The US airlines flying to CPH are much better about gate-side delivery of gate-delivery-tagged strollers at CPH.

CPH does have some of its own airside strollers and lots of baggage carts that can handle the transport of a 1-3 year old child. ARN, however, is much worse than CPH in this regard.

Stroller delivery on the oversize baggage plank at CPH has been quite bad at times, but it has gotten better than it used to be -- or at least they seem to be getting delivered within 10-20 minutes of the rest of the baggage on the baggage belt or even sooner. But CPH is slow for delivery of checked baggage onto the baggage belt even when it doesn't involve strollers/carseats/oversize luggage.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 1:09 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by SASegments View Post
We’ve travelled long haul with infants and toddlers several times. We’ve never used a car seat and we’ve avoided bassinet seats for several years as they are horribly uncomfortable for others due to the wall and the fixed armrests.

Having a seat for a 18 months old toddler sounds like a luxury and you might want to consider not bringing any car seat and just be using the seatbelt?

For takeoff and landing all European carriers will have an infant belt that is clipped onto the adult seat belt. Obviously the child would then go on lap for that but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use that for the remainder of the flight as well when the child is in own seat sleeping or whatever.

Stroller policy is very airport dependent and somewhat unreliable. Our experience is never trust what check in staff tells you as they often don’t know. We’ve been promised delivery at aircraft lots of times without getting it.

In understand you are getting off in CPH and not just in transit. In that event you should be prepared to wait for the stroller for up to an hour at the belt. CPH is horrible when it comes to that.
Thanks for the input. Yes, she will be too old for the bassinet seat anyway.

We've thought about not bringing the car seat, but given that this will be an overnight flight, the goal is to get her to sleep as much as possible on the flight, which I think would be easier if she is in her car seat. Takeoff time corresponds well to her normal bed time, so the thought was to get her to sleep the whole time, which would be hard to do with her sitting upright in an economy seat.

Yes - we're getting off at CPH for 2 days. We'll have checked bags anyway, but we were obviously hoping to get the stroller plane-side to make getting through customs and the airport easier. Sounds like that might not be possible?
gofarhaveacigar is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 1:11 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
SAS at ARN and (somewhat less so) at CPH try to make most strollers get checked in landside with the oversize luggage. Even the Maclaren type collapsible strollers that could fit in an overhead bin if taking up the whole bin while doing so.

IIRC with SAS, the included allowance for child strollers and car seats is different based on age of child and/or maybe whether or not the child is a lap child or not. I do know that SAS now handles the stroller and car seat related allowance differently than US carriers (even when looking at US carriers for comparable city pairs to SK service). US carriers are more generous with child related baggage allowance than SK.

The CARES harness works for toddlers in economy class on SAS international, regional and domestic flights, but for a one-two year old, a car seat is generally more comfortable.
Do they not allow for plane-side checking of strollers? According to that link, checking a stroller is free since our daughter is under 2 (even though she will have her own seat), but it makes no mention of plane side or land side.
gofarhaveacigar is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 1:30 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,277
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar View Post
Do they not allow for plane-side checking of strollers? According to that link, checking a stroller is free since our daughter is under 2 (even though she will have her own seat), but it makes no mention of plane side or land side.
At ARN and CPH, SAS sometimes allow plane-side check-in/drop-off of a tagged/to-be-tagged stroller, but sometimes they try to frustrate taking the stroller to the gate. Even when dealing with the same exact stroller time and again, what they ok is not necessarily consistent. [email protected] tends to be less hostile toward gate checking strollers than [email protected]

[email protected] is probably the worst, or close to the worst, legacy major airline-hub experience when it comes to wanting your own stroller delivered at the gate on arrival.

CPH has some airport strollers available after security screening but more often they have cabin baggage carts that can easily fit a 1-year old like the grocery shopping carts that have a seat area for small children. ARN, if it has airport strollers, has far fewer of them than CPH; and ARN has way fewer cabin baggage carts than CPH.

If this sort of reads like a “pick your poison”, it sort of is that.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
[email protected] is probably the worst, or close to the worst, legacy major airline-hub experience when it comes to wanting your own stroller delivered at the gate on arrival.
Never tried CDG? Admittedly, me, strollers, and CDG was year away now, but there was NO WAY you can get a stroller to/from the gate.

CPH used to have airside strollers for famillies with kids. I never liked them, but we used them a few times. At least on departure, they make things easier. On arrival, it may not be easy to find one.
SK2751 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 8:25 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,277
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
Never tried CDG? Admittedly, me, strollers, and CDG was year away now, but there was NO WAY you can get a stroller to/from the gate.

CPH used to have airside strollers for famillies with kids. I never liked them, but we used them a few times. At least on departure, they make things easier. On arrival, it may not be easy to find one.
Flights to/from CDG on a variety of US and EU airlines has allowed my travel party members to take private strollers to/from the gate assuming they could be foldable enough to fit through the x-ray machines for cabin baggage. In recent years, I’ve seen strollers on the airside transit buses at CDG more times than I can care to count and even more often at CDG passport control.

CPH still has airport-provided airside strollers, but more often than not, they aren’t available where and when my travel party members needed them. Fortunately, a variety of carriers do allow for gate-delivery of strollers at CPH, even as SK at CPH seems to be the most opposed to gate-delivery of strollers.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 28, 19 at 8:30 am
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,474
Long time ago we were able to gate check a basic umbrella stroller (literally the cheap umbrella kind, very simple) at CPH - we bought those solely for flying because we couldn't gate check the more comfortable version (tried and was denied). At ARN we were told that all strollers are not allowed through security when we were there - even with the one that we got through from CPH.

We often had to ask the gate staff the whereabout of our stroller when we arrived CPH.
nacho is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 11:03 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,277
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Long time ago we were able to gate check a basic umbrella stroller (literally the cheap umbrella kind, very simple) at CPH - we bought those solely for flying because we couldn't gate check the more comfortable version (tried and was denied). At ARN we were told that all strollers are not allowed through security when we were there - even with the one that we got through from CPH.

We often had to ask the gate staff the whereabout of our stroller when we arrived CPH.
Gate checking the stroller with SAS at CPH is generally not as much of a problem as being able to get gate delivery of strollers at CPH when flying SAS. It’s the gate-delivery with SAS at CPH where there is a more general block.

Baggage claim for most checked-in strollers at CPH is where the oversized luggage is: a stationary platform with a gate that goes up and down. But on very rare occasions I’ve seen some strollers delivered on the moving baggage belt at CPH, but that’s very unusual for checked in strollers being claimed at CPH.

I frequently saw strollers go through security for gate-checking at ARN, so I’m wondering when you had that ARN experience.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,474
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post


Gate checking the stroller with SAS at CPH is generally not as much of a problem as being able to get gate delivery of strollers at CPH when flying SAS. It’s the gate-delivery with SAS at CPH where there is a more general block.

Baggage claim for most checked-in strollers at CPH is where the oversized luggage is: a stationary platform with a gate that goes up and down. But on very rare occasions I’ve seen some strollers delivered on the moving baggage belt at CPH, but that’s very unusual for checked in strollers being claimed at CPH.

I frequently saw strollers go through security for gate-checking at ARN, so I’m wondering when you had that ARN experience.
It was a while ago (my youngest is now 10). I still remember this ordeal - we got a stroller with adjustable back when our first kid was a baby (we had one of those huge Scandinavian style pram and it's not design for travelling) and was ok with AF, but apparently at CPH it was considered too big (it was longer and thicker than the cheapo umbrella strollers). At HKG and some US airports we always get our stroller gate checked but I'd say more than 50% of the time we had to ask the gate staff to fetch our stroller at CPH - 90% of the time we got it by the gate after asking and waiting with/without a sigh from the staff. The rest of the time they insisted they don't have such a thing called gate check and collect and it showed up at the oversize luggage.

We bought 2 cheapo 20EUR umbrella strollers from Germany and it worked for gate checking at CPH and they are sturdy and nothing happened to them (we crushed the buckle for the seat belt). We really tortured them by rolling them up on dirt path to reach a hill top castle, lifting up and down with kids in the stroller going up and down stairs......Strongly recommended if you have small kids and you travel a lot with them.

At ARN and CPH the staff told us that to use their strollers - we tried to look for them and they were nowhere to be seen. My mom always says, "if you don't need it you won't find it, when you don't need it they are everywhere". I think it's pretty true because now that the kids are older we see them everywhere.
nacho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread