Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Flygskam" (Flying Shame) ???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Cool "Flygskam" (Flying Shame) ???

What in the world has happened to the Swedes? Do they have "climate anxiety"?
So it seems indeed, as Matthew explains here: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-flying-shame/

Soon there will be no Swedish frequent flyers (or flyers at all) and SAS will have to end operations from Sweden (sure they're worried). Will travelhungry Swedes depart from Norway or Denmark instead, to hide their shame from friends and neighbours in the future? I guess we'll see ...

/BoomtownRat
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:42 am

Meh! God decided to send down the new messiah in form of an annoying teenager...

Personally, no one I know follows this new religion and I have not been shamed for flying in a month more than other people in a year.

btw, I think this is headed for OMNI pretty soon...
ffay005, TPJ and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I wouldn't pay to much attention to the Swedish media, the concept of objective journalism disappeared decades ago in this part of the world. The PC indoctrination machine is running overtime.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:03 am

The moralists always need something to complain about. What they complain about varies over time. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:43 am

BTW... here at ex-CPH looking at the parking lots, airport terminals, SK lounge and the fellow pax around this and last week it seems all they hip young left green families travel by air more than ever...
ffay005 and jona970318 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: More than one
There is a lot of truth in this story. Last year the Swedavia airports saw a decline in passengers, while all other airports outside SE saw an increase. On top of that. Swedavia manage the 10 largest airports in Sweden and the decline happened on all of them, and was most visible in domestic travelers. The only increase was in transfer passengers, where both legs were international flights.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:35 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Ah well, that's why I had half of the plane for myself flying domestic in Sweden last year!

While I agree that climate is a very important topic and stuff needs to be done, I won't give up travelling for that nor will I have any shame for flying.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
I would guess the decline in passengers is more due to the introduced flight tax than any feeling of shame.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BoomtownRat
What in the world has happened to the Swedes? Do they have "climate anxiety"?
So it seems indeed, as Matthew explains here: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-flying-shame/

Soon there will be no Swedish frequent flyers (or flyers at all) and SAS will have to end operations from Sweden (sure they're worried). Will travelhungry Swedes depart from Norway or Denmark instead, to hide their shame from friends and neighbours in the future? I guess we'll see ...

/BoomtownRat
His and his fellow travelers’ political axe doesn’t mean much other than some like to swing a political axe against select ideological targets without much consideration to the facts on the ground. The fact is that Swedes en masse are hooked to flying to sunny destinations at just about as many times of the year as they think affordable, way more than the average American; and Swedes with driving licenses seem more keen and able to have at least one relatively new car per adult than the average Dane or even American.

The Brits have hiked up taxation of air travel by way of the APD tax and done so in the name of the environment too, and yet travel from the UK is such a popular mess despite it (as can be seen too often at passport control).

Originally Posted by Some person
The moralists always need something to complain about. What they complain about varies over time. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.
Sounds like Matthew the (blogging) Moralist has an anti-Swedish gripe?

The SJ trains seem to have no lower proportion of non-MP/non-V/non-S types than the flights. If anything, the trains seem more likely to have more rabid anti-ruling government, anti-MP types than the planes.

There are lots of times where taking SJ is more practical, financially or otherwise, than flying. Flying CPH/MMX-ARN or taking the train between these areas is pretty much a wash for me. Sometimes one works better for me than the other, and at other times it’s the other that works better for me.

“Fly shaming” seems no more common than “train shaming” in the area, even as the rare jabs about travel may come from people of the same or different political inclinations than one another.
Superrman likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 16, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

That was some extensive "closing arguments", Mr. "Wonder" (didn't expect less though; what took you so long?)

You feel strongly as to debunk any disfavourable news about the poor state Sweden and it's extremely politically correct population is in, and must defend against all "accusations" from any one at all cost and throw ridicule east and west. You seem to have absolutely no clue about to what extent Sweden and it's people is in dire straits these days, and more so in the future, as they have stopped listening to reason for a good amount of time already. Most Swedes are in complete denial about the true condition of their almost broken country. Very sad ...

/BoomtownRat
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BoomtownRat
That was some extensive "closing arguments", Mr. "Wonder" (didn't expect less though; what took you so long?)

You feel strongly as to debunk any disfavourable news about the poor state Sweden and it's extremely politically correct population is in, and must defend against all "accusations" from any one at all cost and throw ridicule east and west. You seem to have absolutely no clue about to what extent Sweden and it's people is in dire straits these days, and more so in the future, as they have stopped listening to reason for a good amount of time already. Most Swedes are in complete denial about the true condition of their almost broken country. Very sad ...

/BoomtownRat
I enjoy debunking junk claims.

I have extensive criticisms about Sweden too, but criticisms only hold as being reasonable when they are fact-based (and not “fake news” of the sort upon which Trump relies). And that applies as much to my country led by Trump as it does to Sweden.

The idea of Sweden being an almost broken country is ridiculous. Nearly as ridicuous as claiming that the US is an almost broken country, which it isn’t despite the NY-born con-artist-in-chief occupying the White House in DC who claimed his family came from Sweden despite his mother being Scottish and his paternal side being from Germany and with no history in the Swedish registers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:36 am

Any hope of the LAX flight moving to CPH?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by volatum
Any hope of the LAX flight moving to CPH?
well, I nominate this one to be the off-topic post of this quarter

Last edited by fassy; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:45 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
This post ought to be in OMNI rather than here.

I see it as a growing consciousness of the urgency (that the UN-report showed) and relative impact (compared other carbon pollution you as an individual do) that flying has. Personally I fly a lot still (did this 21k BIS mileage run two months ago) but in the family we've cut back on private flying and are taking train (not easy from Finland :-) ) or staying near as alternative. I've also started to offset all my flying (both private and business travel) as one step.

To me there seems to be a slight increased shame on flying, however this is not the right approach and not something I'd like to see. Rather, any change should come from within.
quoo and Superrman like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gnopps
This post ought to be in OMNI rather than here.

I see it as a growing consciousness of the urgency (that the UN-report showed) and relative impact (compared other carbon pollution you as an individual do) that flying has. Personally I fly a lot still (did this 21k BIS mileage run two months ago) but in the family we've cut back on private flying and are taking train (not easy from Finland :-) ) or staying near as alternative. I've also started to offset all my flying (both private and business travel) as one step.

To me there seems to be a slight increased shame on flying, however this is not the right approach and not something I'd like to see. Rather, any change should come from within.
The swedish 15-year old little climate-genius says that the EU should "panic" and make rash decisions "in favour of the climate" and disregard everything else. No (GU)wonder the Swedes are in doubt and run around in circles screaming and shouting ...

/BoomtownRat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.