Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
According to the regulation, you got what you were due. A full refund. SK might come around and pony up the $3k for the alternate booked fare, but I seriously doubt they will. Even though they said, they will compensate for alternative travel arrangements.... I guess they draw a line somewhere and I'll suspect your case will be on the wrong side of that line.
The official statement from SK is EUR 300 on top of original ticket price + additional hotel and food if needed due to longer travel time. Receipts are required.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Please read this tread before you start assuming something. It's stated multiple times that SAS's view is the strike is out of their hands and therefore no EC261 related compensation.
And since when do FTers care about what an airline has to say with regards to EC261?
Old May 22, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by malmostoso
And since when do FTers care about what an airline has to say with regards to EC261?
I guess that depends on what the airline says...

In this case there does seem to be precedent in Scandinavian courts that the view of SK is correct. So we are awaiting further litigation if SK's statement is to be overturned. Until then, don't expect anything to be paid out for these cancellations.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
OP should have called Orbitz and get them to rebook the flight.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:08 pm

I found out on the night of May 2nd when I went to check in online that my flight for May 3rd had been cancelled and rerouted through another airline. I had no communication from SAS at all and if it weren't for me trying to checkin online I would have gone to the airport for my original flight. I also found out the strike had actually ended but my original flight was cancelled as a knock on effect. As a result I got to Tokyo about 8 hours later than planned and lost a day of my holiday.

I understand they don't want to pay compensation for delays due to the strike being "out of their control" but where do I stand with my delay being the day after the strike had ended (but still related to the strike)? Are they taking the same stance on those flights? I'll probably request it regardless as I disagree that it was out of their control.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Xenor
I found out on the night of May 2nd when I went to check in online that my flight for May 3rd had been cancelled and rerouted through another airline. I had no communication from SAS at all and if it weren't for me trying to checkin online I would have gone to the airport for my original flight. I also found out the strike had actually ended but my original flight was cancelled as a knock on effect. As a result I got to Tokyo about 8 hours later than planned and lost a day of my holiday.
If you booked directly on the SAS website, you would normally have gotten a SMS and/or e-mail when you were rebooked, but if you booked through a TA SAS might not have your contact informations and it's probably the TA who has rebooked you and not SAS

Originally Posted by Xenor
I understand they don't want to pay compensation for delays due to the strike being "out of their control" but where do I stand with my delay being the day after the strike had ended (but still related to the strike)? Are they taking the same stance on those flights? I'll probably request it regardless as I disagree that it was out of their control.
As it was a knock off effect you don't stand any good chance, but file the claim. You can't get anything less than no. If someone takes the declined EU compensation to court and win, you can reopen you claim, but you need to file a claim in the first place, otherwise you risk being too late.

The reason the longhauls except 2 flights was canceled the first day after the strike was because there were no crew at the out stations to fly the birds back. So either they cancel the first rotation after the strike or they cancel the first return flight and second outbound flight. Those cancellations can't be avoided when the strike lasted more than 3 days and the outstationed crew had returned to their home base.
The 2 flights which wasn't canceled were used to bring crew to the outstations in US and Asia. The return flights of those two were delayed about 20 hours so the crew could get the mandatory 15 hours of rest before flying back.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS claims the strike cost it about 650,000,000 SEK (c US$68 million).
Old May 29, 2019, 5:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some more details in the IR presentation attached. It seems the savings they didn't get from the pilots will be realized elsewhere.
Attached Images
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
FWIW, after four weeks received a refund of my ARN-GOT ticket booked directly with SAS.

The long haul business class ticket EWR-ARN has yet to be refunded. Travel agent says the ticket status is still OPEN and that they have to wait eight weeks from the refund request before they can escalate - which puts us at roughly June 24th.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:08 am

Because it is very easy to complain, we have to admit the good things also. SAS compensated me for the flight disruption, the email i received explained everything what they can compensate and I find it a very nice gesture, while with other airlines it would be far worse to claim the reimbursement.
Of course the case took 25 days but I guess the amount of work they had would be massive.
SK2751 and highupinthesky like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:11 pm

May I know if everyone already got refunded for the ticket by SAS? My ticket was bought via Zuji HK which has already ceased operation half a year ago. The contact from Zuji said they would refund me after SAS refunds Zuji, which will take 12 to 16 weeks. Very worried now.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by namtakrai
May I know if everyone already got refunded for the ticket by SAS? My ticket was bought via Zuji HK which has already ceased operation half a year ago. The contact from Zuji said they would refund me after SAS refunds Zuji, which will take 12 to 16 weeks. Very worried now.
SK is behind on the refunds, but chasing helps. Also as I wrote in another tread. Refunds sometime gets stuck in the internal audit and need manual intervention to move on. Chasing helps a lot in those cases as for some reason SK don't always know when a refund is stuck in the process. Chasing is of course hard when you have to go through a TA, but if you have the ticket number, you can reach out to SK directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.