Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Old May 6, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by tgj1974
Seems cabin crew just announced, they will take same fight next year......
Understandable move after the overpaid bus drivers managed with their blackmail strategy.....
I am hardly surprised. A Facebook flag on profile pictures saying "I support the SAS pilots" was trending for a while amongst cabin crew. So they are lining up the same action to get SK back to the brink of ruin....
Old May 6, 2019, 9:43 am

Understandable move after the overpaid bus drivers managed with their blackmail strategy.....
That's what I said... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31045982-post175.html

Baggage handlers, ground services etc will be next in line.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Isn't it stupid for the to announce it now as the negotiation takes place pretty much around the same time of the year?
Old May 7, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Isn't it stupid for the to announce it now as the negotiation takes place pretty much around the same time of the year?
Yes, it would be unwise to play your hand this early.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Aren't some number of the SAS Swedish pilots based out of CPH? Or is the reference to "Swedish pilots" being based only about whether they are based at ARN or not?

I wouldn't be surprised if from the start the pilots were pushing for a 13% increase in one fell swoop, but that the negotiations managed to bring the increase down to being spread over 3 years.

So when is the next SAS strike going to hit? Flight attendants next?

Given the relative strength of the labor market around ARN and CPH at least, I can see why the airline employees based in the region would want to see increases in income.
So the FAs have their inspiration from the pilots.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:15 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Obvious is obvious. It would be much more surprising if they didn't demand the same as the pilots. That's the way these negotiations work (and are supposed to). In the Norwegian private sector, the traditional export industry always negotiates first ("frontfagene" ), and their result sets the norm for other sectors.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Of course other SK staff will demand the same thing. Why not milk it while they can?
Old May 7, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course other SK staff will demand the same thing. Why not milk it while they can?
Because if they do, they will quickly realise that SK is not a cash cow.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ksu
This argument would have more strength, if the CEO of SAS hadn't himself gotten a 35 % rise for turning the airline around. Hypocrisy like that does not go down well in Scandinavia.

The backstory for the very high demand for a raise is that the pilots, as well as other employees (including the CEO) accepted cuts in salary and benefits in order to help SAS avoid bankrupcy. Unlike the CEO who was given a 35 % raise in 2016 (by a board whose members had their remuneration raised by 40 - 60 %) this has not been compensated for. Now that SAS is on a much stronger economical footing, the pilots demand to get back on track salarywise, as the CEO himself has done. Obviously (as the main reason for the strike isn't tha salaries, but working conditoions) the salary demand can (and will) be negotiated downwards in proper mediation. Unfortunately, the very well-paid SAS CEO has done nothing constructively to stop the strike. On the contrary, he has been quoted in the media, that the pilots should stop the strike, without making any signals of wanting to restart negotiations, loooking to the public just like a petulant child, and certainly nothing like a successful CEO.
You're talking percentages, how does the salary of the CEO of SAS compare to that of CEOs of other Western airlines in absolute amounts? I'm sure it will be hilariously low.

Keeping the narrow minded Scandinavian view alive in 2019 that you don't need top executives to successfully run a business and not need to compensate them accordingly is going to be the downfall of the economies there. I fully concur that these pilots should not have been giving a penny and that starting to lay off staff to trigger government interference is the right path. You can't negotiate with blackmailers.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
That gives SK a year to lobby with the government to change strike laws for the airline industry.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
That gives SK a year to lobby with the government to change strike laws for the airline industry.
I doubt we will see any government involvement. Norway has sold all their shares, Sweden is thinking about it and the Danish government burned their fingers hard when they intervened in 2012. Despite we have changed government since and are probably doing it again in a few moths time, no DK government want to be part of a dispute between the unions and SK.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither are going to happen. There will be no lobbying on this from SK, and no change of the laws.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given at least the Danish (pre or post election this year) and Swedish governments, that would be a wasted effort and go nowhere fast.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er

And just like that it’s back to San Diego

three biz award seats actually opened up next week and I snagged them. They popped up on United dot com before any of my alerts triggered, I wasn’t looking for them. Called the Swedish number. Very helpful, under 15min wait

now if we can start flying this weekend so LAX-ARN can get crewed up by next week....
Back in Stockholm, all is well that ends well. They were able to change a return after the outbound was flown on a "coupon" award.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Norway has sold all their shares,
Nærings- og fiskeridepartementet sold their shares, but doesn't Norges Bank still have some shares?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.