Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Patiently waiting for the strike to end. I have a SAS flight booked on Sunday. At least it looks promising!
Old May 1, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by ksu
Yes, my point was that the announcement was made in the Norwegian media, not that the cancellations only were in Norway
Sorry. Misread you post
Old May 1, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Re: TK at HKG. When a flight gets cancelled at T-24 or less, IATA airlines can push the pax in distress to another IATA airline. If the airline is associated, either thru an alliance or a bilateral then SAS doesn't have to ask for an endorsement but pushes straightaway. The reason behind that is the availability show to partners should be free of oversell fluff. OAL is different, SAS would have call a contact at say BA or AY and politely ask if there is still space before booking the segment. Alternatively SAS could have made reprotection agreements days in advance if they knew the flights would cancel.then the operating carrier would get more revenue than what the irreg booking gives them (usually the residual pro rated fare amount of that segment in the ticket).

TK ist Out of Line for treating you like that, they know that one day this could happen to them...
How come when I asked SK to rebook me on TK they refused? It was T -24 and my SK flight went MX.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:56 am

Ni kan sluta gotta er i mitt TK-strul nu, tack
Old May 1, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
How come when I asked SK to rebook me on TK they refused? It was T -24 and my SK flight went MX.
For IRROP rebookings, the station manager or HQ can play favorites based on what is perceived to be in the best interests of the airline. This means that being able to pick and choose amongst even alliance airlines is not being allowed as widely to passengers as some may think it could or should be.

For example, AA has repeatedly refused to rebook me onto AY and pushed me onto “it’s AA or BA” in the event of various sorts of irregular operations. For example, BA had repeatedly refused to rebook me onto AY and pushed me onto “it’s AA or BA” in the event of various sorts of irregular operations.For example, UA has repeatedly refused to rebook me onto SK and pushed me onto UA and/or LH in the event of various sorts of irregular operations.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
I suppose I should give a report on how my situation worked out:

Called SAS as soon as I saw that the flight was cancelled. Less than two minute wait until I got a human. He offered me a rebook on LH CPH-FRA-ORD which sounded great, so I took it and it the whole thing was wrapped in less than five minutes. Got the itinerary and saw that my transfer at FRA was 55 minutes. This is doable, but I injured my foot last week and can only walk with difficulty and did not want to be in a situation where I had to run. Called back and asked for a rebook. No problem, after a two minute wait a CS rep answered and we are now booked LH CPH-MUC, and UA MUC-ORD with a 1:15 transfer (also took less than five minutes). This is plenty of time at MUC T2, and now I get to test the new Polaris business on a 772.

The strange thing is that the options I found through ExpertFlyer were not available to them.

All in all it was painless once the cancellations were made and I could actually try to rebook. This was a 2-4-1 award ticket, but that was a non-issue to them, although they commented that it was an award.

So - if you are worried about getting rebooked, don't. Hopefully the strike will end before I return, but if not I am confident that the CS reps will get me home. THEY should get some of the pilots' salary for fixing the problems. :-)
Old May 1, 2019, 10:15 am

SAS are handeling this fantastic - just claimed my extra costs for hotel and transportation and got answer in 47 min that they will transfer the money within 7 days. Wow, so quick!
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thanks for reporting back. It is very good to hear that SK is actually great and not fuzzy when dealing with rebookings, reimbursement of costs etc. This is how a legacy carrier should do it. I believe many carriers within *A could learn a thing or two from how SK deals with IRROPS.

Moreover, it strikes me all the difficulties people are facing when dealing with TA/OTA or other parties than SAS whereas dealing with SK directly seems very easy and productive. I hope this will remind everyone of the clear advantages of booking directly with the carrier rather than a OTA/TA if IRROPS occurs.

Now we just need this strike to end as quickly as possible.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:36 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Not close to a solution yet

The State mediator just gave a press conference, and said that there had been some movement from the parties, but that distance between them still was large. Much remains to be discussed, and a solution is not forthcoming yet.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ksu
The State mediator just gave a press conference, and said that there had been some movement from the parties, but that distance between them still was large. Much remains to be discussed, and a solution is not forthcoming yet.
Source?
Old May 1, 2019, 11:51 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by jetplane86
Source?
VG

https://direkte.vg.no/nyhetsdognet/n...537400180babb2
Old May 1, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Maybe the title should be altered to ...strike in April/May 2019
Old May 2, 2019, 12:00 am

well I’m on my way to the LAX Hilton. Wonder how long of a stay...
Old May 2, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
As much as I am disappointed with what SAS has become of a mainstream airline, the way they handled my two cancelled flights since this strike began (ex ARN to CPH and ATH) has been commendable. I was offered a large selection of alternative routes (mainly on LH-group airlines), and they even agreed to rebook me on a route I suggested. In both cases my new tickets were issued and forwarded to me within a couple of minutes after hanging up. Apart from the connection inconvenience, this hardly affected my schedule since the delays were no longer than 2 hours.

The only issue was the overly long waiting times to reach them on the the phone, at least on their Swedish number. It is reasonable to expect much longer waiting times than usual, but 3+2+2 hours on Friday, and 4+2.5 hours on Monday was way over what would be acceptable, even considering the situation. To add to that there was no info on the expected waiting time/position in the queue. Hopefully this will improve since as I read somewhere in the press they were training additional personnel to deal with this. Or even better, this absurd situation will be over soon enough...
Old May 2, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
well I’m on my way to the LAX Hilton. Wonder how long of a stay...
And just like that it’s back to San Diego

three biz award seats actually opened up next week and I snagged them. They popped up on United dot com before any of my alerts triggered, I wasn’t looking for them. Called the Swedish number. Very helpful, under 15min wait

now if we can start flying this weekend so LAX-ARN can get crewed up by next week....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.