Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by criced
Update of what happened with my SAS-rebooking home from HKG with Turkish airlines. At check in in Hong kong TK told me they had put me on stand by. They told me that they were so tiered of SAS always cancelling flights from HKG and using TK as a back up. Even if you got a confirmed booking. TK wants to sell tickets to their passangers first. So all passangers booked on 117-stock always gets stand by until 19.30 the day of dep, when they sort out if there is space or not. So much for *A-partnership...

I was not in the mood of gambeling so I called SAS again and got rebooked again on Thai insted. Home now. The massage I got in the Royal Silk Spa at BKK still hurts...��
? Why didn't you just wait it out until 19:30 to get your seats confirmed? - rather than spending time with yet another rebooking. Surely TK had seats in on their flight HKG-IST. As you explained earlier in this thread you put so much effort into getting rebooked to TK with numerous calls to SK (and as I understand it turned down reasonable LH, TG etc flights and insisted to be rebooked to TK) and then in the end you ask SK for yet another rebooking ?

I could certainly understand if SK would restrict rebooking pax to 1 time only...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by ScandiGB
Do anyone know the full list of airlines SAS will rebook with?

Star Alliance seems to be a starting point, Wiederře is also in the mix, but does anyone have a full list? In the absence of a full list please post your luck getting rebooked on airlines outside *A.

ScandiGB
No list here either, but someone on businessclass.se was told today by SAS CS that within 24 hours they are allowed to rebook on any available flight, regardless of alliance: https://www.businessclass.se/forum/posts/799137/

Another reported being rebooked as requested on AY without any discussion of other possibilities, so it seems that they are flexible (if they want to be).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
? Why didn't you just wait it out until 19:30 to get your seats confirmed? - rather than spending time with yet another rebooking. Surely TK had seats in on their flight HKG-IST. As you explained earlier in this thread you put so much effort into getting rebooked to TK with numerous calls to SK (and as I understand it turned down reasonable LH, TG etc flights and insisted to be rebooked to TK) and then in the end you ask SK for yet another rebooking ?

I could certainly understand if SK would restrict rebooking pax to 1 time only...
OP was flying J (maybe that's why he was able to be rebooked on TK), so I have no idea of his chance of getting a seat with TK - after all TK has their own J pax and also paid upgrade and upgrade with miles on spot at HKG.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Air - Delta, SAS, JetBlue, Icelandair, Hotel - Radisson Platinum
Update on what we did (2 persons) - since this was a 2 week trip with week 1 as holiday/vacation and week 2 as work for me.
The other half did NOT want to have the uncertainty of what and when we would be rebooked, "assuming same departure date". Plus I have hotels with cancellation dates that would have been impacted if SAS rebooked to a later departure date.
On SUN morning - SAS updated the date range of affected flights to "5-MAY" (our departure 3-MAY). Called US call center at 10am - got a person in a few minutes and asked politely if they would rebook to another airline now - they refused, asked again a little more forcefully, still refused - and said rebooking to other airlines can only take place AFTER flight is cancelled.
At that point we bailed out - and took the full refund offer with no penalties.
I managed to rebook on Icelandair (not my favorite by far) - to same travel dates as planned trip - but in economy and our SAS tickets were premium economy. So while the cost was a wash - we ended up down graded significantly, I really do NOT like KEF as a change over point. Been stuck on arriving flights for a couple hours, where it was too windy to bring the outside stairs to the plane.
Here it is TUE afternoon and still SAS and pilots are not talking - looks like bankruptcy will be coming if this strike goes on for 2 weeks, too bad I liked SAS as a way to get to Stockholm (ARN).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
You can try, but it's unclear what you are entitled to at the moment. According to the Danish news media
  • SAS will reimburse up to EUR 300 for tickets on other airlines if they can't find you a flight within 24 hours and you book an alternative flight your self. Whether this also applies to trains is unclear, but probably.
  • SAS will not reimburse any other expenses nor will they payout EU compensation. This is a change from last time, due to a EU verdict lately.
Never the less. Try fill in the claim form on the customer service page at the SAS website. It takes 5 min. and you will have the answer within a couple of weeks. With the denial of EU compensation etc. I doubt you will see much longer response times at the moment.
The flight was operated by Air Nostrum so in theory it should not be affected by SAS strike. I was told by a lady in the lounge that the flight was cancelled due to technical problem which i forgot to make sure at the sas service desk. Shall i proceed with any claim? We were informed 30 minutes before the flight so we could not rebook anything and nobody could see an available flight. I got an offer 8h after with british inside the 24h limit from departure but i had already chosen another way to travel.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by plan200
On SUN morning - SAS updated the date range of affected flights to "5-MAY" (our departure 3-MAY). Called US call center at 10am - got a person in a few minutes and asked politely if they would rebook to another airline now - they refused, asked again a little more forcefully, still refused - and said rebooking to other airlines can only take place AFTER flight is cancelled.
well, that makes actually sense. Why should SK rebook your flight on a different carrier if it is not clear that the flight might be even cancelled? It might be that they come to an agreement by then... unlikely but possible.

Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Anubis13
The flight was operated by Air Nostrum so in theory it should not be affected by SAS strike. I was told by a lady in the lounge that the flight was cancelled due to technical problem which i forgot to make sure at the sas service desk. Shall i proceed with any claim? We were informed 30 minutes before the flight so we could not rebook anything and nobody could see an available flight. I got an offer 8h after with british inside the 24h limit from departure but i had already chosen another way to travel.
If the flight wasn't canceled due to the strike the normal compensation rules apply. SK know which flights are canceled due to strike and which are canceled due to other reasons. You can also see it on the SAS web page.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by plan200
The list published Sunday covering the period until and incl. May 5, was a list of flights which would not be affected by a possible strike. Flights not on the list might be canceled, but they might also fly.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:05 pm

If the flight wasn't canceled due to the strike the normal compensation rules apply. SK know which flights are canceled due to strike and which are canceled due to other reasons. You can also see it on the SAS web page.
It does not have any information on the past days, so i will have to check out elsewhere
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR

I wanted to go home. TK told me they were fully booked and the only other avalible option with TG left HKG at 18.35.
SAS understood the

​​​​problem and did a great job. I was rebooked AND then direct checked in at the Thai desk i 3 min. Not much to think of.

Yes I will avoid booking TK with 117-stock again.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: SK*G
My SFO-CPH-ZRH in Plus was cancelled and I got rebooked on United direct to Zurich, but in Economy. I didn't get an SMS or App notification, just checked flight status as soon as I could on the website and then called them. It was done quickly - called Denmark, entered the EBG number, waited for 20 seconds and then had two direct flights (UA and LX) presented to me immediately with option of using LH with 1 stop.

FYI, I asked if I could be routed with LH in premium economy but the agent said it was not possible since there is 'no equivalent to SAS Plus' on any other Airline When I said that it was the same as 'Premium Economy' on LH, she said she can only rebook passengers into Economy and that I should make a claim for the downgrade...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
How voided out? It's normal the ownership of the ticket change when rebooking happens, but the ticket is still valid, and if you have to be rebooked later, the ownership will just change again.
Thanks, highupinthesky. I got to WAW early, stood in line 30 minutes before the desk opened, was #2 in line for SAS check-in, and spoke with SAS agents -- who immediately agreed that the original agent at SAS via FB Messenger had screwed up. I was immediately booked on KL WAW > AMS > SFO Y-class, departing in one hour. Same PNR. Ran to KL, no problems checking in and no problems with flights. I got home several hours ago.

Despite my earlier issues, things went quite smoothly the second time around. So much so, I almost think SAS could become a travel agency on its own.
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Estimates have SAS losing $6 million to $8 million per day of the strike.

SAS now seems inclined to temporarily lay off some staff due to the strike. Some cabin crew members based in Norway seem to be the first hit.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Estimates have SAS losing $6 million to $8 million per day of the strike.

SAS now seems inclined to temporarily lay off some staff due to the strike. Some cabin crew members based in Norway seem to be the first hit.
The cabin crew in Norway were not laid off per se, they were sent on unpaid leave. But only in Norway, seemingly Norway has legal ways of doing that during a strike.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:16 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Demanding a 13% pay hike from a financially struggling employer doesn’t sound like the employees have a lot of concern for their employer’s longer term viability as an employer.
This argument would have more strength, if the CEO of SAS hadn't himself gotten a 35 % rise for turning the airline around. Hypocrisy like that does not go down well in Scandinavia.

The backstory for the very high demand for a raise is that the pilots, as well as other employees (including the CEO) accepted cuts in salary and benefits in order to help SAS avoid bankrupcy. Unlike the CEO who was given a 35 % raise in 2016 (by a board whose members had their remuneration raised by 40 - 60 %) this has not been compensated for. Now that SAS is on a much stronger economical footing, the pilots demand to get back on track salarywise, as the CEO himself has done. Obviously (as the main reason for the strike isn't tha salaries, but working conditoions) the salary demand can (and will) be negotiated downwards in proper mediation. Unfortunately, the very well-paid SAS CEO has done nothing constructively to stop the strike. On the contrary, he has been quoted in the media, that the pilots should stop the strike, without making any signals of wanting to restart negotiations, loooking to the public just like a petulant child, and certainly nothing like a successful CEO.
oopsz and Tango Alpha like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.