Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by ChrisTuff
What's the best way to get in touch with SAS regarding the rebooking? FB messenger or is there any number where you don't have to wait in line for hours?
Do you have status? The diamond line answers immediately, according to my colleagues who are travelling now. Otherwise, I suggest Facebook.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:06 am

What's the best way to get in touch with SAS regarding the rebooking? FB messenger or is there any number where you don't have to wait in line for hours?
For me, the best way was to call them. Called a couple of times. First time I had to wait an hour and no one took the call. Second time I waited an hour, third time it took me approximately 45 minutes before they answered the call.

I was supposed to be flying SK on May 1st to SFO through ARN. Now they rebooked me onto KL for the inbound leg. Nevertheless, it took me a few calls to accomplish this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Also if your flight is already cancelled, check your reservation on the website, or in the app, to see if it is not already fixed (unlikely, but possible).
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by JR67
Do you have status? The diamond line answers immediately, according to my colleagues who are travelling now. Otherwise, I suggest Facebook.
I'm *G but not at SAS. Does that help in any way?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)

It does not (as far as the waiting time on the phone is concerned) - you need to have a EB number with status, then you are moved up in the queue. Unless someone knows a number that can be called with status. I think there is a dedicated business class line (used to be?). Perhaps they would talk to you.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:22 am

not in terms of priority for getting connected to an agent or SK getting out of their way to help you. But the higher priority on waitlists could help a bit
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
It was entertaining watching the chaos at ARN yesterday while unfortunate that of course all other carriers got completely filled up as a result of rebookings including my KL flight

I sincerely hope that SAS does not give in to this form of legalised blackmail and bleeds the unions financially dry. As an airline they really needs every penny they have to improve their network, service and routes and it is despicable to watch this unfold every year with SAS's overpaid bus drivers wanting more money from a company that can literally not afford it. If anything retaliate to those imbeciles that are actually striking at the moment.

It's about time that the Scandinavian governments grow up and forbid strikes in industries that cover key public services such as transportation, healthcare and education. We no longer live in the 50s and these are mission critical services that need to work at all time.

Like all grown ups, also pilots can change jobs if they are unhappy with the terms of their employment and renegotiate new terms with an alternative employer.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
It was entertaining watching the chaos at ARN yesterday while unfortunate that of course all other carriers got completely filled up as a result of rebookings including my KL flight

I sincerely hope that SAS does not give in to this form of legalised blackmail and bleeds the unions financially dry. As an airline they really needs every penny they have to improve their network, service and routes and it is despicable to watch this unfold every year with SAS's overpaid bus drivers wanting more money from a company that can literally not afford it. If anything retaliate to those imbeciles that are actually striking at the moment.

It's about time that the Scandinavian governments grow up and forbid strikes in industries that cover key public services such as transportation, healthcare and education. We no longer live in the 50s and these are mission critical services that need to work at all time.

Like all grown ups, also pilots can change jobs if they are unhappy with the terms of their employment and renegotiate new terms with an alternative employer.
There is actually already a lot of restrictions on strikes in healthcare, police, transportation and other critical services. But SAS is in competition with other airlines, so if strikes is forbidden for SAS, they will have to be forbidden for norwegian, ryanair etc. too. And honestly. Yes the disruptions are annoying, but is it any worse than the chaos every time some idiots on the freeway smash into each other and blocks all lanes?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Originally Posted by JR67
Nope. There is an indication that they will pay 300 euros for rebooked tickets, but that probably won't cover a last-minute flexible ticket.

Unless you are going someplace obscure or really need to land at the exact time you are scheduled, I would say wait and let SK rebook you. You are EBG if I read correctly, so you will be prioritized.
Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I am. But if the other flight is full, it is full no matter what status I am with SAS. I was thinking maybe holding on the ticket until the SAS flight is cancelled. Then cancel my ticket and re-buy the open seat hopefully in the few seconds with restriction? Do you think it would work?

SB
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
There is actually already a lot of restrictions on strikes in healthcare, police, transportation and other critical services. But SAS is in competition with other airlines, so if strikes is forbidden for SAS, they will have to be forbidden for norwegian, ryanair etc. too. And honestly. Yes the disruptions are annoying, but is it any worse than the chaos every time some idiots on the freeway smash into each other and blocks all lanes?
the biggest issue for strikes of this type is that after finally they have come to some agreement it just lasts for 12 months or so before they start again. That time the FAs and when they get to an agreement, the ground crews and after that, it is time for the pilots again . It is a never ending nightmare. Which eventually will ruins the company and everybody goes out of job.

Asking for 13% higher salary after a real rough time for my employer? I think this is our of any proportion and as said before, if they do not like the salary (since SK already gave in to some other stuff like allowing the pilots to influence their schedule) go somewhere else!

and then complain airlines look for creative ways to get around these issues, like station crews in Ireland or other countries with more business friendly labor laws.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
But SK can't rebook on BA, DY or FR, right? It's got to be a big problem if SK can't rebook on DY as DY has a big intra-Scandinavian network.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:05 pm

SK can rebook on BA, but not on DY or FR. SK agents can only book flights on airlines that are members of IATA. Other airlines don't show up in their reservation systems.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:30 pm

Ah crap! Now my flight was cancelled -technical issue on the plane... *grrrr*

hope the 7am flight to WAW will go
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Data point: friend (finally) got through on the phone. Was told to cancel his flight from Bergen to Manila (via CPH/HKG) and given the ok to rebook on Finnair.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
SK can rebook on BA, but not on DY or FR. SK agents can only book flights on airlines that are members of IATA. Other airlines don't show up in their reservation systems.
Are you sure? I thought that the requirement was that SK must have an interline agreement with the airline but that IATA membership wasn't needed. SAS ended the interline agreement with BA in 2012 and as of almost two years ago, it hadn't been reinstated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.