Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cfw
Does anyone anticipate this being similar to AF's recent strike, which went on for months almost in the background? Or are the pilots simply not coming back until resolved? Thanks.
This is definitely not going on just in the background. Could it turn out like the AF situation? Not sure, but AF may be facing a strike in May that isn’t just in the background.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:59 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by cfw
Does anyone anticipate this being similar to AF's recent strike, which went on for months almost in the background? Or are the pilots simply not coming back until resolved? Thanks.
The pilots won't come back until this is resolved. As all of mainline SAS is now closed down, this cannot just go on in the background.

The government could enact a law to enforce arbitration, and stop a strike, but they usually let it run it's way for some time first (to try to let the partys agee on their own). Only when life, health or vital national interests are at stake, they could formally stop the strike.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are only so many people I can hassle on a weekend without getting the direct or indirect "javla Americans" response.

Maybe if it weren't so nice in Stockholm, I'd get a more timely response.
Sorry for so many questions You just seemed to have ready knowledge on a topic of interest.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ksu
The pilots won't come back until this is resolved. As all of mainline SAS is now closed down, this cannot just go on in the background.

The government could enact a law to enforce arbitration, and stop a strike, but they usually let it run it's way for some time first (to try to let the partys agee on their own). Only when life, health or vital national interests are at stake, they could formally stop the strike.
Which is an interesting prospect, as the three governments may have different pain points, and interest. Maybe even different legal options for intervention, that could lead to different results for the pilots in each country. Due to the domestic aspect Norway may make a move earlier than Sweden or Denmark
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:58 pm

SAS rebooked me yesterday on TK for tomorrow, or maybe they did not...�� This is how it looks like on TKs website.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
SAS strike rebooking - booked through Expedia

Hi
I booked a trip BRU-CPH on Monday and CPH-ORD tuesday through Expedia due to SAS inability to book such itineary online.
Now with strike, in case of cancellation of my Monday flight, can I call SAS to sort it out, or do I really need to call Expedia?
Flight is in business and I am EBG if it helps.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:48 pm

Which verdict was that? A few months ago, some authorities in the EU were going after Ryanair's refusal to payout EC261/2004 compensation by claiming strike action wasn't covered/was excluded.
Read this: CURIA - Documents

In other words, wildcat strikes are not extraordinary circumstances. I think it's untested if normal strikes are extraordinary circumstances.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Air - Delta, SAS, JetBlue, Icelandair, Hotel - Radisson Platinum
Originally Posted by ksu
Service classes on SAS are Business, Plus and Go. That is a different concept than booking classes (C, Y, M, B, S, Q, V etc).
I am one of the many impacted by this - today's (SAT) update from the SAS website - is for flights from 26-APR to 1-MAY - you now can do the "voluntary rebooking" if you flight has NOT been cancelled yet.
I assume the rebooking is onto later date SAS flights - with the earliest rebook date still listed as 6-MAY (assuming they settled and are flying again).
My issue is my flights are on the 3-MAY - and I want SAS to rebook me on ANOTHER airline on the same day.
Has anyone seen this listed or been able to make this happen?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Some person
Read this: CURIA - Documents

In other words, wildcat strikes are not extraordinary circumstances. I think it's untested if normal strikes are extraordinary circumstances.
That predates the move in late 2018 by the UK toward enforcing action against Ryanair for claiming strike-impacted passengers weren’t covered due to “extraordinary circumstances.

And Ryanair is claiming in its defense in the UK that courts in Italy, Spain and Germany have already determined that “extraordinary circumstances” apply to strikes writ large. This is despite the fact that the EC’s considered revisions to EC 261/2004 was done with the idea that not all strikes would be considered “extraordinary circumstances” and to have more explicit language in this regard making that more clear.

Courts siding with consumers over companies and unions in this area? I would hazard a guess and say not likely at the national levels at least in places where unions and union membership are strong and more popularly well regarded or relevant to the working majority.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer

Just to further substantiate this, we had an SK reward flight cancelled last year a few hours before departure. Not only did they rebook us to OS and provide full EC261 compensation, we also got booked into a revenue bucket which meant we even got points for the flight
I have EB award ticket on SAS Plus for flights from GOT-AMS; I was rebooked three times on Friday for the outbound before it ended up with Y-revenue fare ticket on LH metal. Less than a day after the flight, I earn points into my account. However, I am not certain about the discussion about EC261 compensation since I was denied from its current protocol.

If anyone can suggest, I would be happy to hear.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by criced
SAS rebooked me yesterday on TK for tomorrow, or maybe they did not...�� This is how it looks like on TKs website.
TK's website is a technical mess quite to rival SK. I rarely can get it to find corporate TA bookings to do seat changes. I would guess this is just caused by being a 117 stock ticket If you have a PNR and confirmation with ticket number from SK, I would not worry.

Side note, are there any airlines with a website that is not a mess?
highupinthesky and criced like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
TK's website is a technical mess quite to rival SK. I rarely can get it to find corporate TA bookings to do seat changes. I would guess this is just caused by being a 117 stock ticket If you have a PNR and confirmation with ticket number from SK, I would not worry.

I would say that United is quite good . . . .
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

Thanks. I called SAS now in the night and thay told me same thing. We will se at check in if its right.

No, some companys have good features but not one is 100%. Make a mix of all the good functions and sell it
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: More than one

That predates the move in late 2018 by the UK toward enforcing action against Ryanair for claiming strike-impacted passengers weren’t covered due to “extraordinary circumstances.

And Ryanair is claiming in its defense in the UK that courts in Italy, Spain and Germany have already determined that “extraordinary circumstances” apply to strikes writ large. This is despite the fact that the EC’s considered revisions to EC 261/2004 was done with the idea that not all strikes would be considered “extraordinary circumstances” and to have more explicit language in this regard making that more clear.

Courts siding with consumers over companies and unions in this area? I would hazard a guess and say not likely at the national levels at least in places where unions and union membership are strong and more popularly well regarded or relevant to the working majority.
There are basically 2 type of strikes here in the Scandinavian countries.
The first is the ones which happens during an agreement period. They often happens without notice, and are normally send to the arbitration courts within hours and normally deemed illegal within hours and the employees are fined if they don't return to work within hours after the ruling.
The second type is what we see at the moment. It's part of the negotiation between the employers unions and the employees unions. The arbitration courts can only postpone this kind of strike if they think the negotiations will lead to a deal. They can't stop them. The parlament can pass a law which dictates a 1 or 2 year agreement between the unions, but will never do this unless the strikes has a serious impact on the country, and I don't think we will see this in any of the Scandinavian countries. There are too many other airlines, and only DK and SE stil has shares in SAS.

For the first type of strike the Airline can do something, so in that case I would say it's not extraordinary circumstances.
For the second type. They only thing the airlines can do to stop the strikes, is signing the new agreement with the unions. IMHO it's kind of blackmail if the unions get EC261 compensation as a weapon on their side during the negotiations which is currently ongoing.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: More than one
Smile

Originally Posted by criced
No, some companys have good features but not one is 100%. Make a mix of all the good functions and sell it
Now we just need to agree what is good functions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.