Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Well. You relayed undocumented rumors, which I and many others here believe to be wrong, so yes I should comment. Also I did have experience with missed connections on reward flights, and now a days there aren't much difference when it comes to missed connections and canceled flights. They both require a rebooking for the leg you are not flying according to original schedule.
I did not releyed. I just reported and told everybody to HUCA if the got to an agent telling them that.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by criced
I called SAS on skype and got rebooked to Turkish in 5 min
Interesting. Last time when SK went MX at hkg they refused to book is on TK, only AY, LH or CA.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by criced
I did not releyed. I just reported and told everybody to HUCA if the got to an agent telling them that.
What is the difference between relaying and reporting a rumor? In both cases you are telling everybody about an undocumented rumor you have picked up somewhere else. Often these kind of rumors are wrong or based on something which isn't enforced anymore, which I also believe is the case here.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Interesting. Last time when SK went MX at hkg they refused to book is on TK, only AY, LH or CA.
Yes, he supposed LH or CA but I argued that they needed the seats from Frankfurt and Beijing to other passangers. Also the agent only saw "First class" avalible on TK but he knowed that TK does not have First. SAS system must do something wrong with the booking class C on TK. He asked manager and got OK.

In this cases you need to know what to say. Im EBG and fly Business.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:00 pm

I arrived at CPH at 13:15from SFO and my flight for geneva was cancelled 30 minutes before departure at 17. SAS service could not find a ticket for me for the next few days. The system seems to be fully booked for tomorrow. So I decided to take a train. Is there something that I can claim from SAS, at least the ticket expenses.

Last edited by Anubis13; Apr 26, 2019 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
NOTE: BT has updated their article, the message is quite different now.

The Danish newspaper BT reports and quotes the Danish head of PR for SK that passengers opting to cancel their flights booked will get a 300 euro voucher on top of the refund.
​​​​​​
Actually a very good PR move.,a practical operational move, and hopefully for SK a good way to secure future business. Not a bad decision from SK
criced likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 27, 2019 at 4:00 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
deleted - not relevant at the OP was already rebooked to TK

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 27, 2019 at 3:52 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedChili
It's important to realize the difference between a voluntary rebooking of a flight that hasn't been cancelled yet, and a flight that actually is cancelled.

Concerning the voluntary rebooking, a part of the SAS info says: "You can rebook to a SAS flight on another date to the same destination if the same service class as the original ticket is available. The new date of travel may not be earlier than 06May until 30 September 2019." That could be interpreted to mean that there must be award space available if you want to rebook a flight voluntarily.

But if a flight has actually been cancelled and you show up at the aiport, SAS will need to rebook you onto any flight that will get you to your destination.
This is spot on.

If you are on an SK award ticket and affected by the strike but decide to rebook for later (between 6 May to 30 Sept) X/I class needs to be available - SK is not going to rebook you into revenue class. Period. Basically, it will be treated as a voluntary rebooking, however, no rebooking fees or add. taxes to be paid.

However, if your flight is cancelled and you want to travel on first available flight (a true IRROPS) SK will rebook you into revenue class if X/I class is not available and even book you with other carriers.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Danish newspaper BT reports and quotes the Danish head of PR for SK that passengers opting to cancel their flights booked will get a 300 euro voucher on top of the refund.
​​​​​​
No I think you misread this. In BT it is stated that SK will refund up to EUR 300 if SK can't rebook you to a flight within 24 hours and you decide to buy a more expensive ticket with another carrier.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
No I think you misread this. In BT it is stated that SK will refund up to EUR 300 if SK can't rebook you to a flight within 24 hours and you decide to buy a more expensive ticket with another carrier.
The article on BT's website has been updated, it says something different now than it did little while ago. I guess BT misquoted SK originally

It is quite beyond misreading how it is worded now.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to report that I was at CPH Terminal 3 for several hours yesterday (landside, not airside). The lines for the SK service center and the separate check-in counters for cancelled flights were surprisingly short (admittedly, it may have taken some time to get through the lines and talk to an agent) but it was a calm atmosphere at Terminal 3 - a lot of SK staff walking around and talking to inquiring pax. If one didn't know about the strike, I assume many would simply pass through the terminal without noticing that it was an unusual day yesterday.

It appears to me that SK handles this extraordinary situation very well.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 27, 2019 at 5:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Just to report that I was at CPH Terminal 3 for several hours yesterday (landside, not airside). The lines for the SK service center and the separate check-in counters for cancelled flights were surprisingly short (admittedly it may have taken some time to get thought the line and talk to an agent) but it was calm atmosphere at T3 - a lot of SK staff walking around and talking to inquiring pax. If one didn't know about the strike, I assume many would simply pass through the terminal without noticing that it was an unusual day yesterday.

It appears to me that SK handles this extraordinary situation very well.
Good to hear.

IMHO they have generally improved a lot in handling IRROPS over the last couple of years and is currently one of the better airlines to handle IRROPS
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Anubis13
I arrived at CPH at 13:15from SFO and my flight for geneva was cancelled 30 minutes before departure at 17. SAS service could not find a ticket for me for the next few days. The system seems to be fully booked for tomorrow. So I decided to take a train. Is there something that I can claim from SAS, at least the ticket expenses.
You can try, but it's unclear what you are entitled to at the moment. According to the Danish news media
  • SAS will reimburse up to EUR 300 for tickets on other airlines if they can't find you a flight within 24 hours and you book an alternative flight your self. Whether this also applies to trains is unclear, but probably.
  • SAS will not reimburse any other expenses nor will they payout EU compensation. This is a change from last time, due to a EU verdict lately.
Never the less. Try fill in the claim form on the customer service page at the SAS website. It takes 5 min. and you will have the answer within a couple of weeks. With the denial of EU compensation etc. I doubt you will see much longer response times at the moment.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I have never had canceled award flights, but I have had missed connections etc. on award flights. I was always automatically moved to the next flight. I can't see any reason why canceled award flights should be any different. You can't do the rebooking your self unless there are free award seats in same class on the new flight, which is unlikely, but the SK agents should be able to rebook you as with any other cancellation. Your ticket type won't change, only the flight you are on. It's no different from the cheap Y tickets. They are most likely not available on the new flight, so they will be "upgraded" to a higher booking class.
Just to further substantiate this, we had an SK reward flight cancelled last year a few hours before departure. Not only did they rebook us to OS and provide full EC261 compensation, we also got booked into a revenue bucket which meant we even got points for the flight
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:02 am

SAS updated the information page today at 12 CET. Flights with a departure date of April 30 and May 1 are now also eligible for free rebooking.

The departure date of your flight are between 26 April 2019-01 MAY 2019
Im flying AMS-CPH-SFO on the first of May, so I'll try to rebook AMS-FRA-SFO with LH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.