Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:34 pm

Hopefully it will be over before May - I am flying with them then...
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The current strike warning is for April 26th in all three countries

In all three countries mediation between the parties is mandatory, and the mediation institution will postpone any potential strike action from this date. Forligsinstitutionen (the mediation in Denmark) has the power to postpone the strike for up to times 11 days, not working days but days. Can someone chip in with the possible extensions for Norway and Sweden, as I don't know the laws there.

To make it clear, we don't know if there will be a strike. We will not know anything until around the 25th/26th of Aorim which is when any need for mediation will be announced, and the first extension of the strike warnings will be announced as well.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The current strike warning is for April 26th in all three countries

In all three countries mediation between the parties is mandatory, and the mediation institution will postpone any potential strike action from this date. Forligsinstitutionen (the mediation in Denmark) has the power to postpone the strike for up to times 11 days, not working days but days. Can someone chip in with the possible extensions for Norway and Sweden, as I don't know the laws there.

To make it clear, we don't know if there will be a strike. We will not know anything until around the 25th/26th of Aorim which is when any need for mediation will be announced, and the first extension of the strike warnings will be announced as well.
As far as I understand the mediation has already started. The pilots were just nice enough not to start the strike until after the Easter rush this time. Personally I doubt we will see a strike, but the pilots had to submit the warning to SK in order to give them more leverage in the negotiations.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:04 am

I have a single flight from HKG to CPH on the 29 of april (just after midnight so its more like sunday april 28). Its booked as an award with FlyPremium in business class before SAS Eurobonus raised the award prices last year. Im a EBG. If the strike will be pulled on the friday 26 april, I hope SAS will rebook me on another *A flight that night. Or will SAS use their *new policy* and force me to wait in HKG until the next SAS flight? I need to go home so now Im thinking of reeboking on my own already now to an award with LX/OS/LH/TK or pay for economy. Thanks for advices!

Last edited by criced; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by criced
I have a single flight from HKG to CPH on the 29 of april (just after midnight so its more like sunday april 28). Its booked as an award with FlyPremium in business class before SAS Eurobonus raised the award prices last year. Im a EBG. If the strike will be pulled on the friday 26 april, I hope SAS will rebook me on another *A flight that night. Or will SAS use their *new policy* and force me to wait in HKG until the next SAS flight? I need to go home so now Im thinking of reeboking on my own already now to an award with LX/OS/LH/TK or pay for economy. Thanks for advices!
What new policy are you refering too? SK is normally known for making sure the delay is minimized as much as possible. Beside that. If the outbound flight towards HKG is taking off before the strike starts, the return flight will most likely happen despite the strike. The pilots will have to pay for their own accommodation if they are refusing to do a return flight due to a strike.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
What new policy are you refering too? SK is normally known for making sure the delay is minimized as much as possible. Beside that. If the outbound flight towards HKG is taking off before the strike starts, the return flight will most likely happen despite the strike. The pilots will have to pay for their own accommodation if they are refusing to do a return flight due to a strike.
They flight will depart 27 of april to HKG.
Have heard reports this year when SAS have had cancelations and other problems on longhaul, that people have got the only option to reebok on a SAS flight the day after. Customer care have told people that they are not allowed to rebook on other carriers (Star Alliance). True or not, I dont know.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:21 am

Have heard reports this year when SAS have had cancelations and other problems on longhaul, that people have got the only option to reebok on a SAS flight the day after. Customer care have told people that they are not allowed to rebook on other carriers (Star Alliance). True or not, I dont know.
SAS and Customer Care will rebook you if needed, preference is Star Alliance of course but they will also rebook on non-star carriers if needed
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I hope SK grows a pair and does not give in to this legalised form of blackmail.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I hope SK grows a pair and does not give in to this legalised form of blackmail.
I don’t get why they not just agree on a salary increase coupled to the official inflation.

For sure, I don’t support people asking for more money just for doing the same job without any justification.

If the justification is: living gets more expensive, the official inflation level should be a good measure. (And should align also with SKs ticketing pricing and therefore revenue)

If the justification is: I think I’m underpaid for the duties I perform... well, look for an employer who values your work the same way you do. (I worked on this concept for the last 15 years and it works pretty well...)

Last edited by fassy; Apr 16, 2019 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:44 am

My mother always told me: best way to raise your salery is to change job
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:54 am

My mother always told me: best way to raise your salery is to change job
True! I would add “the best way to get a significant raise is to change your job and the company”.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:44 am

I've never heard about this, and I strongly doubt it's true. SK longhauls are often fairly full, so getting everyone back only using SK flights will mean that some PAX will have to wait a week or more. Are you sure you are not mistaken the reports about norwegian practice, which has been shared in this tread. norwegian has the practice with only using own flights, which means some pax will have to wait a week to get home.
Beside. With EBG status you will get priority when rebooking.

Originally Posted by fassy
I don’t get why they not just agree on a salary increase coupled to the official inflation.
The Pilots claim the last agreement meant they are now behind pilots from e.g. LH, which is probably true as SK are not using the argument that they are still more expensive than LH pilots.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
The Pilots claim the last agreement meant they are now behind pilots from e.g. LH, which is probably true as SK are not using the argument that they are still more expensive than LH pilots.
BS! Exactly my argument. Just leave SK and go to LH if that is so great and you get paid better... btw, I know enough LH pilots and they are in turn eyeing at the Chinese carriers now. Some of them actually offer $250k/year with stationing in FRA or even more for stationing in China or South East Asia like SIN. At the same time, working conditions at LH are not really that attractive anymore.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
BS! Exactly my argument. Just leave SK and go to LH if that is so great and you get paid better... btw, I know enough LH pilots and they are in turn eyeing at the Chinese carriers now. Some of them actually offer $250k/year with stationing in FRA or even more for stationing in China or South East Asia like SIN. At the same time, working conditions at LH are not really that attractive anymore.
The problem is if a captain leaves SK to join LH that will be from scratch in terms of seniority. Not get a captain's position, but basically a junior FO.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The problem is if a captain leaves SK to join LH that will be from scratch in terms of seniority. Not get a captain's position, but basically a junior FO.
Not true! You leave service years (and benefits based on that like selection of off-days or staff travel perks) but not necessarily the position. If Lufthansa (or the Arabs, Chinese or whatever) want to hire Captains, they can hire experiences Captains from other carriers and make them Captain. Just need some training on the procedures and stuff.

the times when number of years in the cockpit made you Captain are long gone. Some of my friends are in the game now longer than the average time it took to become captain in the past without a chance to be promoted. LH, like a lot of the carriers will run into a serious shortage of qualified flying personal sooner than later.
criced likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.