Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by oopsz
5) If not, and the SAS ARN-GOT flights aren't operating, how is the train ride?
It's fine, a bit over three hours from city centre to city centre. There are two competing companies, SJ (https://www.sj.se/) and MTR Express (https://mtrexpress.travel/sv). From Stockholm to ARN, take either the Arlanda Express train (fast, expensive) or the Flygbussarna bus (slow, cheaper, good back-up plan should there be train IRROPS).

Due to the strike, many connections could end up being fully booked, so I suggest that you consider all options available. You've also got Norwegian (https://www.norwegian.no/) flying from GOT to ARN and BRA (https://flygbra.se/) flying from GOT to BMA. Connections from BMA to ARN are not great, so you could end up having to take a taxi. Finally, as a last back-up plan only to be used if all other options are fully booked, there is also Flixbus (https://www.flixbus.se/).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:15 am

Hum...now Expertflyer says my flight is canceled but not the SAS app or webb... #SKIT ��​
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Another option can be to combine various trains together, but that can be almost as bad as the bus at times and the more complicated the itinerary, the more likely to be hit by a delay of some sort.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by criced
Rumors that SAS refuses to rebook tickets on canceled flights if you have booked with Eurobonus. Have anyone heard of it?
The payment method doesn't really matter anymore. In the old days (+10 years ago) this was true, but I haven't heard of this the last 5 years.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:24 am

Hum...now Expertflyer says my flight is canceled but not the SAS app or webb... #SKIT ��​
Updates on the SAS app and web are often delayed. Specially when there is a huge load like now. Normally SAS would cancel flights about 24-36 hour ahead in situations like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
It's important to realize the difference between a voluntary rebooking of a flight that hasn't been cancelled yet, and a flight that actually is cancelled.

Concerning the voluntary rebooking, a part of the SAS info says: "You can rebook to a SAS flight on another date to the same destination if the same service class as the original ticket is available. The new date of travel may not be earlier than 06May until 30 September 2019." That could be interpreted to mean that there must be award space available if you want to rebook a flight voluntarily.

But if a flight has actually been cancelled and you show up at the aiport, SAS will need to rebook you onto any flight that will get you to your destination.
That has been my experience with EuroBonus tickets and any kind of irops (or even schedule changes) so far. They take care of you if the flight gets cancelled or you miss a connection but you cannot just rebook on any given flight ahead of time if there is no award space.

Last edited by fassy; Apr 26, 2019 at 5:13 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:32 am

Reports of SAS agents not willing to rebook awards to revenue (read on Businessclass.se) but HUCA seams to be the solution
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:08 am

Reports of SAS agents not willing to rebook awards to revenue (read on Businessclass.se) but HUCA seams to be the solution
I have never had canceled award flights, but I have had missed connections etc. on award flights. I was always automatically moved to the next flight. I can't see any reason why canceled award flights should be any different. You can't do the rebooking your self unless there are free award seats in same class on the new flight, which is unlikely, but the SK agents should be able to rebook you as with any other cancellation. Your ticket type won't change, only the flight you are on. It's no different from the cheap Y tickets. They are most likely not available on the new flight, so they will be "upgraded" to a higher booking class.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I have never had canceled award flights, but I have had missed connections etc. on award flights. I was always automatically moved to the next flight. I can't see any reason why canceled award flights should be any different. You can't do the rebooking your self unless there are free award seats in same class on the new flight, which is unlikely, but the SK agents should be able to rebook you as with any other cancellation. Your ticket type won't change, only the flight you are on. It's no different from the cheap Y tickets. They are most likely not available on the new flight, so they will be "upgraded" to a higher booking class.
Sorry, but if you have no experience or no new information no need to comment.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
The US 800 number is not operational. Neither Verizon nor AT&T can connect - both kick out a phone system error. Trying to get through to priceline to get a refund but they're unable to get any rebooking policy from SAS.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
My friend's flight tonight to PVG is cancelled and since 8:30 this morning she tried SAS chat, US/China/Sweden customer service and she couldn't get through. I saw RedChilli's post and told her to get to CPH ASAP because she needs to get to PVG fast. She is on a revenue ticket so rebooking should be easy.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Priceline was able to cancel the reservation and send a refund request memo to SAS, they estimate 6-8 weeks for a response. It's annoying that they're holding my $6000 business class fare for that long, but at least I feel like I've done something.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:42 am

I called SAS on skype and got rebooked to Turkish in 5 min
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:47 am

Sorry, but if you have no experience or no new information no need to comment.
Well. You relayed undocumented rumors, which I and many others here believe to be wrong, so yes I should comment. Also I did have experience with missed connections on reward flights, and now a days there aren't much difference when it comes to missed connections and canceled flights. They both require a rebooking for the leg you are not flying according to original schedule.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by oopsz
Priceline was able to cancel the reservation and send a refund request memo to SAS, they estimate 6-8 weeks for a response. It's annoying that they're holding my $6000 business class fare for that long, but at least I feel like I've done something.
The 6-8 weeks are the official time. When I've canceled flights in the past I normally have the money within 5 days. You might have to wait a little longer due to all the cancellations at the moment. But I won't expect 6.8 weeks, except if your credit card company delays the refund too, like AMEX has a tendency to do in DK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.