Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Just leave SK and go to LH if that is so great and you get paid better...
But then they'd first have to study German, I suppose?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
But then they'd first have to study German, I suppose?
No, not needed. Of course they train German on the job but all operational stuff is in English anyway. One of my friends is Irish (went from Aer Lingus to LH threee years ago) and her German seriously sucks
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy

Not true! You leave service years (and benefits based on that like selection of off-days or staff travel perks) but not necessarily the position. If Lufthansa (or the Arabs, Chinese or whatever) want to hire Captains, they can hire experiences Captains from other carriers and make them Captain. Just need some training on the procedures and stuff.

the times when number of years in the cockpit made you Captain are long gone. Some of my friends are in the game now longer than the average time it took to become captain in the past without a chance to be promoted. LH, like a lot of the carriers will run into a serious shortage of qualified flying personal sooner than later.
There is quite a reset of seniority, perks and rank when changing airlines. Even going to the ME3. A friend of mine did, and while he talked about China and also Cathay later, he was unwilling to start at the bottom again and work his way up through the ranks Pay may be better if going to China, or the middle esst, but unlike my area of work, new companies don't hire pilots at same or higher rank than the previous company. Career progression is mainly through staying put There are exceptions probably, but listening to friends, they are not the norm.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:44 pm

Sure, as I said. You are the new guy, so seniority and its benefits gets reset. That’s the same for every other job as well. Joining a new company means you have to earn your reputation.

Still it doesn’t mean you have to start as Junior FO after 15 years of being Captain on a other major airline

Like I’m not getting hired as junior consultant or software architect anymore but on Directors or VP level. Still need to earn my credit with every new job.

Talking to my friends at LH they value the benefits/perks achieved by staying on for years higher than the obscene salary the Asians offer, so they stay on at LH.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
The first flights from LHR to ARN and OSL are cancelled this morning. CPH is running but economy inventory is zeroed out on all SK flights out of LHR today. Happy Easter!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
The first flights from LHR to ARN and OSL are cancelled this morning. CPH is running but economy inventory is zeroed out on all SK flights out of LHR today. Happy Easter!
Strike, or other reasons? I thought the strike was only announced for the 20 somethingth...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is zero media reference to any strike action happening today. Flights do get cancelled for other reasons. And since it is the beginning of the Easter period, flights being sold out is not an unusual occurrence.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Strike, or other reasons? I thought the strike was only announced for the 20 somethingth...
Don't know. Happily, I'm on Lufthansa today. Expertflyer doesn't list any reasons

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is zero media reference to any strike action happening today. Flights do get cancelled for other reasons. And since it is the beginning of the Easter period, flights being sold out is not an unusual occurrence.
The flights are not sold out — they are all showing C9 but Y0.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know. Happily, I'm on Lufthansa today. Expertflyer doesn't list any reasons

The flights are not sold out — they are all showing C9 but Y0.
Which may just be as they need seats to reroute ARN and OSL passengers via CPH then?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:12 am

Flights were technical
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Getting DEC on other carriers is rare if you don't have enough hours. More in this forum of pprune: https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment-38/
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The SAS pilots union, which represents about 95% of all SK pilots, are threatening to stop working as of April 26th midnight unless a salary hike and other working conditions are changed to the pilots' benefit.

Let's hope a lot of rain is in the forecast and/or that the weather is bad in the Scandinavian countries during any SK pilot strike.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Let's hope a lot of rain is in the forecast and/or that the weather is bad in the Scandinavian countries during any SK pilot strike.
Eh, no problem. Just say "flying shame" and book Cunard Line+trains on your next trip to Scandinavia.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Some person
Eh, no problem. Just say "flying shame" and book Cunard Line+trains on your next trip to Scandinavia.
That won't work, as before the next European pilot strike hits, I'll have to look for a jacket supposedly left by a Swedish harbor house during Passover.

I can only hope the weather is no good when the SK pilots want to strike. I don't need more oily residue in the natural bodies of water as a result of pilot strikes, nor do we need more pilots on the golf courses when I want to fly.

Maybe the usual hacks can have a next episode called "boating shame", with various parties exploiting the amount of oily residue I see floating on the waters of even small Swedish harbors (even when it seems most of the personal Swedish boats have not even yet gotten in the water for the year).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
May 2nd I get the honor of flying my first SK award trip in J. CPH-ARN-ORD-CPH (return on the 7th). I am taking the wife on a long weekend to Chicago. I have booked loads of award tickets before, but always on *A partners and never on SK. If this strike actually does occur, what is SK's policy with rebooking awards? Will they rebook us on a partner in J? Downgrade us? And in the case of a downgrade, what recourse do I have?

Thanks!

JR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.