Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I remember in 1999 1 USD = 9 DKK - that was bad.
In 2009, 1 DKK = 1.5 SEK. I remember seeing big converted amounts posted to my card statement at that point.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
The public and unions will demand that the government stops the outsourcing and social dumping through laws fencing off the country. This will of course just make everything worse, but the narrow minded and short sighted unions will not understand this before it's too late.
It helps to remember that the unions represent their own members(insiders) and not poor people on the outside.

In Sweden(don't know for sure for Denmark and Norway) the blue collar unions are an integral part of the Socialdemocratic party. That also means something.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Some person
In 2009, 1 DKK = 1.5 SEK. I remember seeing big converted amounts posted to my card statement at that point.
Yes, that was awesome, our income is from Denmark so it's really on our side.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes, that was awesome, our income is from Denmark so it's really on our side.
And almost exactly ten years to date, it’s now nearly the same as it was in 2009: 1.45 SEK per DKK (+/-3%).

What are SAS pilots making today compared into 2009?
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
It helps to remember that the unions represent their own members(insiders) and not poor people on the outside.
That is what they would like everyone to think. I'm not so sure

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
In Sweden(don't know for sure for Denmark and Norway) the blue collar unions are an integral part of the Socialdemocratic party. That also means something.
Officially this is not the case in DK anymore, but in reality there are still way to many ties between ASocialdemoktratiet and the unions in DK.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Politics aside - has anyone received a refund for cancelled flights requested through the website or through a travel agent?

I am waiting on a >$5000 business class refund and a >$300 domestic flight refund and neither has come through. It's been roughly three weeks.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:03 am

Yes, I have received my refund. I cancelled my flight on 30 Apr and received my refund back on credit card on 2 May. It was for a SAS Plus ticket for ~5000 NOK.

edit: ticket was booked on sas.no using a Norwegian credit card

Last edited by SkOrdBgo; May 13, 2019 at 11:09 am Reason: added more info
Old May 13, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by oopsz
Politics aside - has anyone received a refund for cancelled flights requested through the website or through a travel agent?

I am waiting on a >$5000 business class refund and a >$300 domestic flight refund and neither has come through. It's been roughly three weeks.
There is a big difference whether you have booked through the SK website or through a TA. For the last you need to contact your TA.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oopsz

Refunds made with bank cards in the US for SAS flights booked on major travel agency sites take as long as a few weeks to get refunded back to bank card accounts when the cancellation is made more than 24-48 hours after initial ticketing. I would call the travel agency used to book, if one were used, to see what’s going on with the refund. If booked directly with SAS, I would call up SAS and see if the ticket number has been shown as being put in for refund.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:35 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, a very large number of posts that were dragging the thread way off-topic have been removed. There was a very broad brush approach taken to this, so apologies to those who may have made valid points within a longer off-topic post - but please feel free to re-submit those pertinent comments.

Going forward, please let’s try and keep contributions directly related to only the SK strike without wandering into something closer to OMNI territory.

There will be a large number of people who will come to this thread to seek advice on their personal circumstances, such as on refunds and re-routes, and it is incredibly difficult for them to do so when thread drift occurs. Helping others in our community is a core strength of FT - let’s continue to make that possible.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NWIFlyer
Senior Moderator
criced likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:29 am

I managed to get a refund for my tickets and originally from the statement put out it says:

"B) If SAS has rebooked you on a flight departing 24 HOURS OR MORE after your original departure:· If we’re not able to rebook you on a new flight departing within 24 hours of your original departure, you may book another airline ticket, take a train, bus or rent a car. We will reimburse the difference between your unused SAS ticket and the cost of your new transportation under comparable transport conditions upon production of receipts. If you choose to book alternative travel, please remember to cancel your ticket with SAS to get a refund for your unused ticket.· Please note that the cost for the alternative transportation must be in the same price range as your original ticket. If you choose to buy a new airline ticket, we will only reimburse you for a trip in the same service class as in your original SAS ticket."

I submitted a claim for a rented car (had to drive the whole way, no flights or trains were available), then the automated email says:

"Please note, SAS will not cover:

• EU 261/2004 fixed rate compensation for cancelled/delayed flights will not be paid since our interpretation of EU regulation 261/2004 is that a strike action is considered an extraordinary circumstance in accordance with article 5.3 in EU regulation 261/2004.
• Costs of consequential nature, such as lost wages, vacation days, prepaid hotels/prepaid rental cars, event tickets etc, will not be paid in accordance with our interpretation of Montreal Convention Article 19. "

Any idea if they'll still compensate for the rented car cost?
Old May 15, 2019, 11:56 am

The prepaid rental car they wont compensate, is if you book a vacation with a prepaid rental car, and cancel it due to the strike. Further up it's stated they will compensate you for renting a car as replacement for the canceled flight
Old May 15, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The first part is about alternative transport, booking a rental car to g et to your destination. They will cover that.

The second part is about covering the cost of an already paid rental car at your destination that you could not use due to not arriving, or not arriving in time. They will not cover that.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The first part is about alternative transport, booking a rental car to g et to your destination. They will cover that.

The second part is about covering the cost of an already paid rental car at your destination that you could not use due to not arriving, or not arriving in time. They will not cover that.
Cool, my rental car was alternative transport since no other options was available. Hoping for the best!
Old May 17, 2019, 3:22 am

I had bad experience with SAS during the pilot strike and it seems they are not willing to pay out compensation for the cancelled flights. Yes, air passengers are entitled to flight compensation if the flight was delayed, cancelled due to pilot strike [commercial link redacted by moderator]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 17, 2019 at 4:45 am Reason: Moderator edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.