Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Old May 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
It's a little strange. The longhaul I checked for tomorrow incl. those with late takeoff, has already been canceled, but the few shorthaul I checked hasn't been canceled yet.
909 was non-canceled (even with a designated gate) 30 minutes before the annoncement from the CEO. But all other long haul Friday ex CPH remains canceled apart from HKG. A little strange they are not able to operate long haul ex Scandinavia in the afttenoon.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:50 pm

In other words, the next pilot strike will take place during spring 2022.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
909 was non-canceled (even with a designated gate) 30 minutes before the annoncement from the CEO. But all other long haul Friday ex CPH remains canceled apart from HKG. A little strange they are not able to operate long haul ex Scandinavia in the afttenoon.
It is strange, but maybe they use the 900 and HKG flight to fly out crew, so they are ready for the return flights on the 4th. Time will tell.

edit: I just checked my flight bound for NRT on the 4th. It's still listed as possible affected by the strike. Maybe they haven't gotten all the flights updated yet.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Just read the statement about EC261/2004 carefully "EU REGULATION 261/2004 : Our interpretation of the EU 261/2004 regulation is that a passenger is not entitled to compensation if the delay or cancelation was caused by an industrial action since it’s an extraordinary circumstance, outside of the actual control of the airline that can’t be avoided with reasonable measures."

I wonder if SAS would change their mind.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by coolburning
Just read the statement about EC261/2004 carefully "EU REGULATION 261/2004 : Our interpretation of the EU 261/2004 regulation is that a passenger is not entitled to compensation if the delay or cancelation was caused by an industrial action since its an extraordinary circumstance, outside of the actual control of the airline that cant be avoided with reasonable measures."

I strongly doubt that. I'm 99% sure we will see a court case on this. It's potential on the wrong side of 20 mill EUR that SAS will have to pay in compensation, on top of all the costs for alternative flights, hotels etc. etc. etc.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:05 pm

It is strange, but maybe they use the 900 and HKG flight to fly out crew, so they are ready for the return flights on the 4th. Time will tell.
Wouldn't flying out crew only require IDBing some passengers at most so that there are seats for the extra crew?
Just read the statement about EC261/2004 carefully "EU REGULATION 261/2004 : Our interpretation of the EU 261/2004 regulation is that a passenger is not entitled to compensation if the delay or cancelation was caused by an industrial action since it’s an extraordinary circumstance, outside of the actual control of the airline that can’t be avoided with reasonable measures."

Only the European Court of Justice can determine if strikes are extraordinary circumstances or not. Wildcat strikes are not extraordinary circumstances. It is untested if normal strikes are extraordinary circumstances. I think that some national courts have ruled on normal strikes with varying results. You are free to take SAS to court and see what the court says. Just keep in mind that you probably have to pay for both parties' legal fees, should the court side with SAS.

SAS still has to cover your meal and hotel costs, even if the strike is an extraordinary circumstance.

Last edited by Im a new user; May 2, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 4:09 pm

I strongly doubt that. I'm 99% sure we will see a court case on this. It's potential on the wrong side of 20 mill EUR that SAS will have to pay in compensation, on top of all the costs for alternative flights, hotels etc. etc. etc.
As I followed the live press conference, there was a question about compensation but could not catch all the details.
Now on SVT.se "https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/k...sas-konflikten"
there is one sentence "Om man som kund har rtt till kompensation fr sina instllda resor s kommer man att f det, sger vd:n."

I will wait and see how this will develop since I am affected for both inbound and outbound flights.
And SAS customer service refused to pay compensation a few days ago.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
Wouldn't flying out crew only require IDBing some passengers at most so that there are seats for the extra crew?
Both SK909 and SK965 (HKG) is currently listed as being on schedule, so I assume they will be full with pax's on the seats not taken up by crews. But if they are using the flights to bring crews to the hole US and Asia region there won't be many seats spare for pax's.
They need to fly out crew's otherwise there are no one to fly the birds back after the first outbound leg. A crew can't travel as pax's on the outbound leg and then fly back as crew a few hours later. At least not as far as I know, and personally I wouldn't like to be on the return flight with a crew which has just spend +6 hours as pax's.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:16 pm

You are free to take SAS to court and see what the court says. Just keep in mind that you probably have to pay for both parties' legal fees, should the court side with SAS.
No need to. The leech's who lives of getting you compensation from the airlines will run trial cases. Just be sure you submit you claim in time, and keep the documentation of the claim and decline in case the court rules against SAS.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:16 pm

Only the European Court of Justice can determine if strikes are extraordinary circumstances or not. Wildcat strikes are not extraordinary circumstances. It is untested if normal strikes are extraordinary circumstances. I think that some national courts have ruled on normal strikes with varying results. You are free to take SAS to court and see what the court says. Just keep in mind that you probably have to pay for both parties' legal fees, should the court side with SAS.

SAS still has to cover your meal and hotel costs, even if the strike is an extraordinary circumstance.
It is such an interesting situation.
SAS has a lot of challenges from this strike.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:19 pm

As I followed the live press conference, there was a question about compensation but could not catch all the details.
Now on SVT.se "https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/k...sas-konflikten"
there is one sentence "Om man som kund har rtt till kompensation fr sina instllda resor s kommer man att f det, sger vd:n."
The recording is almost three hours, so I won't look through all that. However, that sentence is a typical nonsense wording. It just says that SAS will follow its legal obligations without further explaining what those obligations are.
coolburning likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

Red face

No need to. The leech's who lives of getting you compensation from the airlines will run trial cases. Just be sure you submit you claim in time, and keep the documentation of the claim and decline in case the court rules against SAS.
Within this week, I see promo ads from 'air passenger assistance' all day every day.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:36 pm

Within this week, I see promo ads from 'air passenger assistance' all day every day.
You don't need to use them. The ruling will have precedent and SAS will follow it. But it might take some time as it will most likely be appealed no matter who wins in the lower court.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Only the European Court of Justice can determine if strikes are extraordinary circumstances or not.
For now, that is not universally true. It may turn out that way, but it's not that way yet. National courts and administrative bodies can also determine what is and is not an extraordinary circumstance for purposes of EC 261/2004. Parties of concern could appeal a national ruling to get the ECJ to overrule, but until then it's not only the ECJ that can determine what is and is not covered under EC 261/2004. Unfortunately, pursuing the claim for this SAS situation in Sweden is likely to go nowhere unless somehow appealing it up to the ECJ, and even then there is no guarantee of the court siding with the consumers.

As I've noted earlier, the EC has provided indications that some strikes should not be considered "extraordinary circumstances", and that EC sentiment is likely to also be codified if/when EC 261/2004 is updated/replaced. By way of that, this kind of SAS strike would not be classified as an "extraordinary circumstance".
coolburning likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 2, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unfortunately, pursuing the claim for this SAS situation in Sweden is likely to go nowhere unless somehow appealing it up to the ECJ, and even then there is no guarantee of the court siding with the consumers.
Why do you think that it would go nowhere if pursued in Sweden? Konsumentverket seems to think that a train strike isn't an extraordinary condition but on the other hand, the extraordinary condition restriction is a lot more restricted for trains than for flights. For example, weather-related problems are extraordinary conditions if you are flying but not if you take a train.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.