Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Trying to figure out best time to buy tickets is driving me crazy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to figure out best time to buy tickets is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Question Trying to figure out best time to buy tickets is driving me crazy

I have never flown on SAS. Finally, decided to take the plunge and go in September. I started watching the SAS tickets from Newark 2 weeks ago. At that time they were around $1800 for our family of 3. A day later they went up to $2500 and stayed there for the past 2 weeks - stable and steady. Looking at the history of this price leg I see that they went down to as low as 1650 and as high as 2700. With still about 5 months left I am trying to figure out when is the best time to buy.

The other challenge is that I don't see the SAS tickets available on any other airline's site. In other words, Delta sells Air France's and KLM tickets. United sells Lufthansa's and Austrian's tickets. Sometimes one can buy on the other airline's site and trade lower price for some restrictions (i.e., can't choose the seats). And many major airlines have their credit cards that give you some credit or discounts if you open them and use to buy.

I can't find any way to save anything on the SAS tickets if I buy them now. Already have Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire, so can't use those.

Any tips for the SAS newbie on how to save something on the tickets and the pricing/buying strategy?

My dates are not flexible due to some personal/family commitments.

Last edited by LeoNYC10; Apr 7, 2019 at 2:12 pm Reason: .
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You need to be patient. 5 months out is very early. It is very likely that fares will drop again. September is low season for traveling to Europe, so the chance of a sale or lower fares later are very good. Just keep monitoring the fares; not daily but 1-2 times a week should be sufficient this far out.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Go to google flights, search/select the flights you want to take and set a price alert. Google will notify when the price changes (for better or worse) and you can buy the tickets.
Cupart likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
Check the SAS website each thursday. I´m not sure when flysas.com has the sale, but the Scandinavian sites sas.se/dk/no has a "Now or never" sale each thursday 18-24 in the evening (EST). My experience is that TATL flights will be on sale every second month.

And as the other guys are saying, hold on. I ones read that the economy prices are, on average, lowest 45 days before departure. I would check the prices 2 times a week, and if you haven't booked 50 days before departure, book then
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:32 am

BTW, the reason United, LH, OS, LX and AC won't sell US-Europe or Europe-US flights with the long-haul segment on SAS flights is that SK is not part of their transatlantic JV. (https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/co...-ventures.html)

I think you can buy a ticket through the JV partners by calling in and get the itinerary manually punched into the system but it will not have competitive pricing.

Once United even refused to reroute me on SK from US. Took a long discussion with a supervisor to finally get on the SK ORD-ARN flight instead of ORD-FRA-ARN with LH.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Red face

Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner
Check the SAS website each thursday. I´m not sure when flysas.com has the sale, but the Scandinavian sites sas.se/dk/no has a "Now or never" sale each thursday 18-24 in the evening (EST). My experience is that TATL flights will be on sale every second month.

Hi, I was just wondering, is this something that I can find on sas.se every Fri morning but only between 0-6 CEU time? Also would you happen to know where I can find a good glossary for the acronyms used on here, unfortunately a random search comes up empty.....was specifically trying to decipher TATL , is it transatlantic something? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
Hi, I was just wondering, is this something that I can find on sas.se every Fri morning but only between 0-6 CEU time? Also would you happen to know where I can find a good glossary for the acronyms used on here, unfortunately a random search comes up empty.....was specifically trying to decipher TATL , is it transatlantic something? Thanks so much!
I don't know about a complete glossary, but yeah TATL is Transatlactic Sometimes the SAS Now or Never sale just isn´t there, but that´s the exception to the rule, it´s normally every thursday 18-midnight European Standard Time
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
ok great, that makes more sense, thanks for that info! For some reason, despite having diamond with SAS, I just dont get any campaign emails from them...have no idea why either as I certainly get emails from their credit cards and other offerings, just not for flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.