SAS Lounge options at ORD, IAD

Old Apr 1, 19, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
SAS Lounge options at ORD, IAD

I am traveling outbound to CPH on an SAS flight out of ORD in June, on a Business Class ticket. My inbound to ORD on a domestic connection from TYS

Though I am not (or no longer) a United/*A Club member, I believe the SAS ticket can get me into either the SAS Lounge in T5 and possibly the Polaris Lounge in T3; is that correct?

I have a 3hr layover, and may head for the Polaris Lounge and transfer airside to T5 about an hour before the international flight.

Has anyone else done it this way?

On the return, I travel in SAS Business to IAD and transfer to a domestic connection (all economy seating); Here I believe this does not get me into any lounges--right?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 1, 19, 6:51 pm

You can use this to check lounge access based on ticket type, ffp, etc.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder

Regarding T3 v T5 lounges, there is a SAS lounge in T5 that you can definitely access with your Business ticket. But going to T3 requires physically exiting T5 and taking a bus (usually train, but it is currently closed for repairs) - no airside transfer between T5 and T3. Then to access T3 lounges, youíd have to go through TSA. Iím not sure if they will let you through with a SAS ticket...
Old Apr 2, 19, 1:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Your proposal sounds fine to me - your flight from TYS should arrive in terminal 2, and from there you can connect airside to terminal 1 and access the Polaris lounge (no need to go through security). From the Polaris lounge you can walk to terminal 3 and take the airside bus from terminal 3 (gates G17, K20, L24) to terminal 5, but going landside and reclearing security may still be faster.

If you have time once you reach terminal 5, you can also go to the SK lounge there.

For the return I agree with you that you may be out of luck regarding lounge access.
Old Apr 2, 19, 6:09 am

I too have a long layover in ORD in a few weeks. Biz from ARN connecting to a US domestic UA flight. From what I read on the star alliance website linked above, I can get into the Polaris lounge simply as Star Alliance Gold.

I might need the physical card I suppose. Or is showing the card from the SAS App enough?
Old Apr 2, 19, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have 3hrs+ for a layover so it seems like a plan.

If only CLEAR would install at (or come back to) ORD!

Has the TTB from T3 to T5 really not improved at all from that last report?

thanks for info
Old Apr 2, 19, 9:40 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er View Post
I too have a long layover in ORD in a few weeks. Biz from ARN connecting to a US domestic UA flight. From what I read on the star alliance website linked above, I can get into the Polaris lounge simply as Star Alliance Gold.

I might need the physical card I suppose. Or is showing the card from the SAS App enough?
No - to be able to access Polaris Lounge after TATL arrival (connecting to a domestic UA/UAX flight) you need to be on UA metal TATL. Otherwise access is only to a regular UA Club.Visit UA Forum for details.
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
As mentioned above, yes to acces to Polaris on departure, no to Polaris and United Club on arrival .... BUT, when flying long-haul with SAS in Plus or Business, you can acces the SAS Lounge in ORD, both on departure and arrival

https://www.flysas.com/us-en/fly-wit...lounge-access/
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
To access the SAS lounge on arrival at ORD is not easy, and I wouldn’t want to do it unless flying out of T5. International arrivals on SAS at ORD require clearing passport control and customs and that leaves you dumped landside. Without a same-day boarding pass for a flight departing from ORD, TSA will prevent an international arrival passenger from getting airside on arrival to use the SAS lounge.

Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo View Post
You can use this to check lounge access based on ticket type, ffp, etc.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder

Regarding T3 v T5 lounges, there is a SAS lounge in T5 that you can definitely access with your Business ticket. But going to T3 requires physically exiting T5 and taking a bus (usually train, but it is currently closed for repairs) - no airside transfer between T5 and T3. Then to access T3 lounges, you’d have to go through TSA. I’m not sure if they will let you through with a SAS ticket...
At ORD, I have been able to use SAS boarding passes for ORD-ARN/CPH to get airside by using screening checkpoints in T1/2/3. It’s my way of getting PreCheck screening and not having to deal with the screening situation at T5 if I don’t want to do so.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 2, 19 at 10:50 am
Old Apr 2, 19, 8:26 pm

Interesting. At ORD how do you get to T5 after going through TSA at T1.2,3? Iím only aware of the landside connection between those Tís and T5... thanks!
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:51 pm

I donít think you can? But you can try to use a SK same day boarding pass to pass through TSA in T1,2 and 3 as well.

but I also was send away with ďwrong terminal for youĒ
Old Apr 3, 19, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
At ORD, I have been able to use SAS boarding passes for ORD-ARN/CPH to get airside by using screening checkpoints in T1/2/3. Itís my way of getting PreCheck screening and not having to deal with the screening situation at T5 if I donít want to do so.

Also curious how you transfer airside to T5, is there an airside bus from a specific gate?
Old Apr 3, 19, 5:25 am

Also curious how you transfer airside to T5, is there an airside bus from a specific gate?
nvrmind, found it

https://www.travelcodex.com/chicago-...-terminal-bus/
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Ah-ha! I noticed that the TTB stops running at 8pm.

As I don't get in to ORD until 7pm or so, and my SAS flight to CPH is at ~10pm, I guess that sorts out my terminal-to-terminal transit choices!

I'm traveling light and have TSA-Pre; I figure on leaving the Polaris Lounge around 8:30, transfer to T5 and hang out in the SK Lounge till its time to board.
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The airside bus from either of the two gates that have them going to T5.
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:13 pm

Ah, right. That works for departing international passengers but not for domestic connections. If I remember I did that in summer coming in from
FAR connecting to ARN

Search this Thread