In Flight Now: SK9202 SBD - CPH

Old Feb 14, 19, 11:10 am
Original Poster

In Flight Now: SK9202 SBD - CPH

Anyone know why there is an A330 enroute from San Bernadino, CA to Copenhagen NOW??

Looks like it is : LN-RKS

Estimated to Land at CPH at 3:30 AM
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:38 am

Two weeks in SBD? Would say it was in for maintenance or repair at one of the MRO companies in SBD (MRO - San Bernardino International Airport (SBD))
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
It's the bird which was hit by a ground vehicle in ORD on January 16. It spend a couple of weeks in ORD and was then ferried to SBD where it spend another 3 weeks.
Old Feb 14, 19, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank You
Old Feb 15, 19, 12:34 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
After less than 2 hours in CPH it's now being ferried to HKG where LN-RKR is already in maintenance since February 8. I wonder what's wrong with the bird since it's so hard to fix.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Feb 15, 19 at 5:46 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Feb 15, 19, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
After less than 2 hours in CPH it's now being ferried to HKG where LN-RKR is already in maintenance since February 8. I wonder what's wrong with the bird since it's so hard to fix.
FTFY
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:25 am

It looks like LN-RKR took LN-RKS place at maintenance in HKG as LN-RKS was ferried back to Stockholm yesterday and is now back in service. I wonder what maintenance they are doing there at the moment. Both LN-RKP and LN-RKS spend less than 3 weeks in HKG. It's way to short for a C or D check.
Old Feb 16, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
It looks like LN-RKR took LN-RKS place at maintenance in HKG as LN-RKS was ferried back to Stockholm yesterday and is now back in service. I wonder what maintenance they are doing there at the moment. Both LN-RKP and LN-RKS spend less than 3 weeks in HKG. It's way to short for a C or D check.
Both went tru C-check but keep in mid that ground time during a maintenance check is heavily dependant on the work scope. Since RKR is relatively new and RKP is leaving this summer they needed just one week.
Old Feb 16, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SK1989 View Post
Both went tru C-check but keep in mid that ground time during a maintenance check is heavily dependant on the work scope. Since RKR is relatively new and RKP is leaving this summer they needed just one week.
I thought the C check was longer, but a bit of Google work made it clear that 1-2 weeks is the norm for a C check. New information learned....
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I thought the C check was longer, but a bit of Google work made it clear that 1-2 weeks is the norm for a C check. New information learned....
I thought so too. I also thought SK did the C checks them self. Flying a A330 or A340 for around 11 hours in both directions, although empty, isn't cheap. I wasn't aware that aircraft mechanics is so much cheaper in HKG compared to the Nordic countries that the trip makes sense for a 1-2 weeks check.
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I thought so too. I also thought SK did the C checks them self. Flying a A330 or A340 for around 11 hours in both directions, although empty, isn't cheap. I wasn't aware that aircraft mechanics is so much cheaper in HKG compared to the Nordic countries that the trip makes sense for a 1-2 weeks check.
It is 1 to 2 weeks, but it is also up to 6000 man hours in that period. So thee is a lot of people to save costs on.

Search this Thread