Eurobonus vs miles and more

Old Feb 14, 19, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Eurobonus vs miles and more

Hi all,

I know there are a few topics on this already, but I dont think any of them actually get to the point of what I would like to know. Hopefully you guys will be able to help.

I am based in London, but fly a lot to Scandinavia for business. The majority of my business trips will be to one of the Nordic capitals. Often just return flights in which case I prefer using BA. But some times round trips where I do several scandinavian cities in one trip at which point I need to book SAS.

We always fly business class with my company (even though SAS Plus doesnt really feel like business class anymore). The class on my boarding pass states C (Z). Not sure what the Z in parenthesis means.

I have a miles and more membership, that I have historically used to collect points on star alliance flights. The reason I picked miles and more was because I thought Lufthansa may have more relevant flights for me, when I need to travel for leisure than SAS does. But I am not sure they do or if it really matters? I need to figure out if it makes sense for me to get Eurobonus or just continue with Miles and More.

So the questions I have are really:

1) Do I get less effect / value from putting my SAS Plus flights on the Miles and more vs. if I put them on Eurobonus. I can imagine there may be an advantage given Eurobonus is SAS' own system. But I realize that value becomes really difficult to talk about as what the miles can be used for means something as well. So my next question is:
2) In terms of getting free / cheap flights, is Miles and more better than SAS? And if the answer is: Miles and more is better for flights to Germany and Sas is better for flights to Scandinavia, which one would be better if I wanted a flight to say the US?
3) If I stick with Miles and more, will I be able to access the SAS Gold lounges when I get Gold? And will I be able to achieve that as quickly as if I used Eurobonus?

I know there wont be a clearcut answer to these questions. But I think there should be some high level answers that are generally true (other things held constant).

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Rupert.
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:53 am

Welcome to FT.

The most convenient approach in my humble opinion is to stick with the program of the airline you fly the most; in terms of lounge access you would indeed be able to access lounges at both ends with any Star Alliance Gold card, bearing in mind that if you ever fly SAS from a 'non-hub' airport then you will not be granted access as per EuroBonus rules (the so called 'contract lounges'). I'm sure the other folks here will be able to throw a light on redemptions and so on.

Originally Posted by munky123 View Post
We always fly business class with my company
I thought I worked for the only business allowing business class even on short haul (terms & conditions apply ), but I was clearly wrong (unless we work for the same company ).

G
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:02 am

1) Do I get less effect / value from putting my SAS Plus flights on the Miles and more vs. if I put them on Eurobonus. I can imagine there may be an advantage given Eurobonus is SAS' own system. But I realize that value becomes really difficult to talk about as what the miles can be used for means something as well.
Points or miles are awarded on the basis of the booking class. When you look at your boarding pass and it says C (Z) it means, class of service business - the C - and actual booking class Z. Then look up how much points or miles you would get:
https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/point-tables/
https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...en&cid=1000231

SK*G gives you Fast Track in all Nordic Airports if you travel on any *A carrier, that is not bad.

In general it makes sense to use the program of the airline you are most flying on.

If you reach SK*G you earn 25% bonus on SK flights, If you are Miles and More Gold you would get a bonus on Miles and More airlines.

2) In terms of getting free / cheap flights, is Miles and more better than SAS? And if the answer is: Miles and more is better for flights to Germany and Sas is better for flights to Scandinavia, which one would be better if I wanted a flight to say the US?
In general you can use your points or miles on award flights for the whole *A network. So, even as SK member you could book a LH or UA flight to the US. Just at a different (higher) point price. Since SK is a rather small airline with only a handful of destinations in the US, naturally you would be better of with Miles and More and the integrated airlines. On the other hand, the taxes on the SAS award flights are reasonable low and pretty high for Miles and More. For Miles and More it only makes sense if you spend the miles on business and First class award tickets. Which is another thing, as Miles and More Gold you can book LX First (which SK*G cannot not) and also you have better access to Miles and More integrated airline award inventory, e.g. LH only releases F on their flights to EuroBonus 14 days before departure.

3) If I stick with Miles and more, will I be able to access the SAS Gold lounges when I get Gold? And will I be able to achieve that as quickly as if I used Eurobonus?
Yes, as Miles and More Gold you can use all *A Gold lounges including the SAS lounges, like SK*G members can use all other *G lounges operated by e.g. LH, OS or TK.

Considering you only need 45.000 points on EuroBonus to reach Gold but 100.000 miles for Miles and More to reach Gold, I'd say it is far more easier to get SK*G. Miles and More has become quite tough to get elite lebvel if you do not fly some LH group long-haul flights a year in business class.
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
M&M silver (earned with 35k status miles, ie about 17-18 C (Z) oneways) gives you lounge entry in LHR T2 in the LH lounge.... kind of moot if you fly business anyways though.
Old Feb 15, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: LH FTL; LCAH Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Considering you only need 45.000 points on EuroBonus to reach Gold but 100.000 miles for Miles and More to reach Gold, I'd say it is far more easier to get SK*G. Miles and More has become quite tough to get elite lebvel if you do not fly some LH group long-haul flights a year in business class.
Just keep in mind on M&M your status is valid for two years, and on EuroBonus - for one year, so yes, EuroBonus status is easier to get, but you need to renew it more often.
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:34 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
EBD lasts for two years (1 diamond year + 1 gold year), and I still think that it is much easier to get EBD than Senator (at least for my travel patterns). Also with the last earnings revision there is now lots of tickets that earns close to nothin (like with LH/MM) so the difference in this respect is decreasing. Especially if you fly discount tickets.
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
The class on my boarding pass states C (Z). Not sure what the Z in parenthesis means.

C is the class you are flying in, as it is Business in most cases, and Z is the class fare you bought. Which is discount business with SAS.
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:04 am

I think stick with is SK. SK*G is just more easier to get comparing to LH.
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
I switched from M&M to Eurobonus for the reason that while it was already hard for me to get FTL, with the same amount of flying (and a little optimization of flights and a little Mileage run) it was possible for me to get *G with Eurobonus, while SEN would be absolutely impossible without several mileage runs. Furthermore Eurobonus offers Lifetime Gold after ten years (which I'm going after). At that point I will probably switch back to M&M and aim for HON, but that's faaaar in the future.
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
I switched from M&M to Eurobonus for the reason that while it was already hard for me to get FTL, with the same amount of flying (and a little optimization of flights and a little Mileage run) it was possible for me to get *G with Eurobonus, while SEN would be absolutely impossible without several mileage runs. Furthermore Eurobonus offers Lifetime Gold after ten years (which I'm going after). At that point I will probably switch back to M&M and aim for HON, but that's faaaar in the future.
Wondering does the LTG need to be 10year of G in a row or they accept dropping to silver sometimes?

Going after the LTG as well.
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12 View Post
Wondering does the LTG need to be 10year of G in a row or they accept dropping to silver sometimes?

Going after the LTG as well.
It needs to be ten years in a row, after dropping to silver you have to start over.
Buying missing basic points, however, is allowed.
Old Feb 16, 19, 4:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
EBD lasts for two years (1 diamond year + 1 gold year), and I still think that it is much easier to get EBD than Senator (at least for my travel patterns). Also with the last earnings revision there is now lots of tickets that earns close to nothin (like with LH/MM) so the difference in this respect is decreasing. Especially if you fly discount tickets.
The earnings is only lowered on the cheap GO tickets, and you still only need to earn 45.000 point to reach EBG and 90.000 to reach EBD. Add to that when I compare earnings on routes where both SK and LH group operates, I normally book SK because I earn more points in the same class even without the 25% bonus and SK are often cheaper.
Old Feb 16, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
The earnings is only lowered on the cheap GO tickets, and you still only need to earn 45.000 point to reach EBG and 90.000 to reach EBD. Add to that when I compare earnings on routes where both SK and LH group operates, I normally book SK because I earn more points in the same class even without the 25% bonus and SK are often cheaper.
For longhaul I find Q for instance to be quite expensive. It's ony the often very expensive Go Flex (now Go Pro...) that hasn't been reduced on longhaul.
And on shorthaul, if you don't consider Go Light as a Go ticket, then your statement is true for that, but it must be quiet annoying to buy an E-class Go Light ticket and get 100 points...
Old Feb 16, 19, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
It needs to be ten years in a row, after dropping to silver you have to start over.
Buying missing basic points, however, is allowed.
But if gold drop to silver, it still counts as LTS during the gold years, right?
Old Feb 16, 19, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
But if OP flies often in the Scandi area with SK, 45 sectors for EBG and 90 for EBD, keep this in mind.

Search this Thread