SAS launch CPH-STN

Old Feb 11, 19, 3:19 am
Original Poster

SAS launch CPH-STN

SAS Scandinavian Airlines in summer 2019 season is adjusting service to London, reflected in recent schedule update. From 08APR19, the Star Alliance member will move 1 of 6 daily Copenhagen – London Heathrow to Copenhagen – London Stansted, on board Airbus A319 aircraft.

SK519 CPH1220 – 1310STN 319 x24
SK520 STN1400 – 1645CPH 319 x24

Service operates daily instead of 5 weekly from 01JUL19 to 11AUG19. Also, the airline from 31MAR19 is reducing Stavanger – London Heathrow flight, from 2 to 1 daily.
Old Feb 11, 19, 6:01 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skyplane View Post
SAS Scandinavian Airlines in summer 2019 season is adjusting service to London, reflected in recent schedule update. From 08APR19, the Star Alliance member will move 1 of 6 daily Copenhagen – London Heathrow to Copenhagen – London Stansted, on board Airbus A319 aircraft.

SK519 CPH1220 – 1310STN 319 x24
SK520 STN1400 – 1645CPH 319 x24

Service operates daily instead of 5 weekly from 01JUL19 to 11AUG19. Also, the airline from 31MAR19 is reducing Stavanger – London Heathrow flight, from 2 to 1 daily.
I would guess that the passengers on this flight are anyway not particularly business nor connection heavy. But is it cheaper to operate to Stansted? I doubt these middle of the day Heathrow slots have the same massive values as the morning and evening ones.
Old Feb 11, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: EBG
Great information. Would be quite upset if in an rush booking to London and get STN instead of LHR with SK.
Definitely a cost saving initiative to try and compete more with Norwegian I would guess.
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:34 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jerjeffr View Post
Great information. Would be quite upset if in an rush booking to London and get STN instead of LHR with SK.
Definitely a cost saving initiative to try and compete more with Norwegian I would guess.
Maybe the airport fees are lower, and that will translate into being able to show a lower price for flights while maintaining the same yield. However, they will add the cost of having a second (mainly outsourced) airport operation.

I don't feel convinced this is a winner for the bottom line And I will not exactly say that SK have a brilliant track record for coming up with new and profitable concepts.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:48 am

Ha, and probably in September they'll sell another LHR slot and keep going with STN.

I avoid the low cost hellhole STN whenever I can, can't understand SK's intention here. Probably just cheap OD vacation trips.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I would guess that the passengers on this flight are anyway not particularly business nor connection heavy. But is it cheaper to operate to Stansted? I doubt these middle of the day Heathrow slots have the same massive values as the morning and evening ones.
Maybe this is SAS’s way to test the waters before selling more LHR slots.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:51 am

Out of interest I was checking flights (random dates) to Gdańsk/Warsaw (Stansted is quite handy when I'm up in Hertfordshire at our manufacturing site) and it seems that flying to Poland is more expensive than heading to Washington

[Economy is sold-out apparently and that applies to most other dates ]

Jokes aside (Stansted-Poland flights are largely low-cost's territory), this is clearly a cost-cutting exercise from SAS, we'll see how things progress in the forthcoming months.

P.S.: no lounge access I'm assuming

G
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK View Post
P.S.: no lounge access I'm assuming
Can't SK just use the FR lounge at STN?
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Some person View Post
Can't SK just use the FR lounge at STN?
Do you mean the rammed to the rafters’ departure lounge, commonly seen in airports such as Luton & Stansted itself, with tons of people staring at the flight screens 3/4 hours before departure, awaiting to learn their fate (alias departure gate) to appear before sprinting down the corridors hoping to achieve glory-gate?

G
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:05 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
IIRC SK have tried services to STN before, they lasted about one season and a 738 was substituted with a CRJ900 after a short time. I think the service was to BLL.
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:17 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
IIRC SK have tried services to STN before, they lasted about one season and a 738 was substituted with a CRJ900 after a short time. I think the service was to BLL.
SK launched CPH STN services back in 1999/2000 winter program. I am not sure it survived more than a season or two. It was operated by 737-600 back then. I flew it once in Feb 2000.

I can't remember a later attempt, but that does not exclude it from having been there. Though going head to head with FR on BLL STN would have been pretty doomed from day one I would say.
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:49 am

Programs: SK-EBD
I flew SK CPH-STN in June 1999 on a MD87.

Never any 737-service to/from CPH AFAIR.

Last edited by Tango Alpha; Feb 12, 19 at 10:52 am Reason: Info added.
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Not quite sure when (but definitley pre 9/11) I flew LH STN-FRA and used a very fine SK Lounge at the far end of one of the piers. Pretty sure it no longer exists!
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:59 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
I flew SK CPH-STN in June 1999 on a MD87.

Never any 737-service to/from CPH AFAIR.
I did fly 737-600, I know as it was my first flight on the relatively new planes so I took notice.
Old Feb 13, 19, 12:25 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Didn't they move in 2015 GOT - LON from LHR to STN without any success? I mean there are no direct flights anymore.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: