Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 February, SAS is going to offset the flight carbon footprint of all ticke

Effective 1 February, SAS is going to offset the flight carbon footprint of all ticke

Old Feb 3, 19, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold

Effective 1 February, SAS is going to offset the flight carbon footprint of all tickets booked using a EuroBonus number.

Does this mean cheaper ticket than before to EB members?
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:09 pm

No, just marketing BS.
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
No, just marketing BS.
lol,i was wondering if the price will come down a bit
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12 View Post
lol,i was wondering if the price will come down a bit
No, won’t impact pricing. The airline just pays a few cents into a climate fond or similar for a ticket booked for a EB member. Or similar. Of course something no one can ever trace or verify, so just marketing BS.

Later in the year, you can even pay extra to buy bio-fuel.

So rather than getting cheaper, they will try to extort money riding the ecological ideology train.
Old Feb 3, 19, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy View Post

No, won’t impact pricing. The airline just pays a few cents into a climate fond or similar for a ticket booked for a EB member. Or similar. Of course something no one can ever trace or verify, so just marketing BS.

Later in the year, you can even pay extra to buy bio-fuel.

So rather than getting cheaper, they will try to extort money riding the ecological ideology train.
I have to wonder if there will be an eventual implementation of YQ or some other surcharge when redeeming points for SK tickets/tickets with SK flights. “The ____ surcharge will help us save the environment” excuse being the airline’s equivalent of hotels using “save the environment” in a drive to make more money, one way or another, from consumers. It might not be in the SK plan yet, but airlines seem to be increasingly pushing the limits of how they make money from customers.
Old Feb 3, 19, 10:27 pm

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Yeah. I don't see any chance of tickets becoming cheaper because of that. I think you missed the point. This is an extra cost, and possibly an extra source of income. But for the time being I am happy - at least they help me to fly cleaner, and so far for free. I am also annoyed that they do not really explain how big part they offset, or do they?
Old Feb 4, 19, 3:15 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
The details of the press release.

https://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-to-offset-the-flight-carbon-footprint-of-eurobonus-members/
Old Feb 5, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

I have to wonder if there will be an eventual implementation of YQ or some other surcharge when redeeming points for SK tickets/tickets with SK flights. “The ____ surcharge will help us save the environment” excuse being the airline’s equivalent of hotels using “save the environment” in a drive to make more money, one way or another, from consumers. It might not be in the SK plan yet, but airlines seem to be increasingly pushing the limits of how they make money from customers.
The ferries between Sweden and Germany started doing it a couple of years ago - 200SEK per person - to make the Baltic seas cleaner. I haven't used the ferries since the introduction of the fee.

Search this Thread