Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thompson has a vantage version that fits and is certified for A321. BMI had started fitting those and thus BA has them on some A321.

That said I think these LR will be used in the two cabin config to North America to leverage the geographic advantage SAS has from its hub. Then the occasional charter to beach destinations for Apollo and co.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thompson has a vantage version that fits and is certified for A321. BMI had started fitting those and thus BA has them on some A321.

That said I think these LR will be used in the two cabin config to North America to leverage the geographic advantage SAS has from its hub. Then the occasional charter to beach destinations for Apollo and co.
Apparently SAS has confirmed that they will be in a three class config with Business, Plus and Go. Sorry, link in Danish.

https://www.check-in.dk/mange-gaette...ne-for-a321lr/
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK

Apparently SAS has confirmed that they will be in a three class config with Business, Plus and Go. Sorry, link in Danish.

https://www.check-in.dk/mange-gaette...ne-for-a321lr/
If their reporting on SK is as accurate as their comparison data from American, I guess we are none the wiser....

Though they do quote the 3 class intention directly from SK.

My best guess is Diamond seats for business class, based on QR that is a fairly compact option. 2-2 seating in Plus, and standard 3-3 in Y.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 25, 2019 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If their reporting on SK is as accurate as their comparison data from American, I guess we are none the wiser....

Though they do quote the 3 class intention directly from SK.

My best guess is Diamond seats for business class, based on QR that is a fairly compact option. 2-2 seating in Plis, and standard 3-3 in Y.
Haha yes, makes you wonder...!

I agree with your best guess - sounds like the most plausible outcome
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Beirut & Tel Aviv would make sense, and give SAS a competitive edge for both O&D as well as transfer passengers to the US. I also think it’s time for SAS to become creative, and hopefully not just being a copy cat.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't think the current Vantage seats fits very well in a narrowbody, but AA has shown that the Cirrus reverse herringbone goes nicely in an A321. The B/E Diamond seat fits as well, but removes the aisle access for the window seats.. There are definitely options for full flat in a reasonable compact configuration on the A321.
I'd like the Cirrus seats. The feet area of the Vantage seats are killing me. The Stellia's seats (The one fitted in TG's 77W and 359) has great feet area.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: More than one
SK has officially stated that AAR-EWR is one of the options they are looking at, and there has been a lot of fuss about this option in the Danish press the last couple of weeks.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Beirut & Tel Aviv would make sense, and give SAS a competitive edge for both O&D as well as transfer passengers to the US. I also think it’s time for SAS to become creative, and hopefully not just being a copy cat.
A320 kan easily do the distance.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Sweepstake still open? My guess…. Just for the fun of it.

CPH-BOS – 5/7 weekly all year. Almost certain…
AAR (or BLL)-EWR-GOT-EWR-AAR I think SAS will give at least one try with regional airports in Scandinavia. There have been hints about AAR by SAS and GOT has a large uptake.
ARN-YUL 3 weekly/ARN-IAD 3 weekly
Or
CPH-ATL 6 weekly (might be reachable, though no *A-hub, but still +100 mio. pax a year)

Outsiders:
CPH-ADD (Addis Ababa) 3 weekly. Perfect distance for the aircraft, has been mentioned by SAS and would give a formidable covering of Africa with ET. Not sure about the business traffic, though.
CPH-BOM 3 weekly DEL Is taken but BOM should have a fair share of business travel too.
DEN would be great but probably a few hundred nm too far, even with just 160 seats and even from OSL.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Sweepstake still open? My guess…. Just for the fun of it.

CPH-BOS – 5/7 weekly all year. Almost certain…
AAR (or BLL)-EWR-GOT-EWR-AAR I think SAS will give at least one try with regional airports in Scandinavia. There have been hints about AAR by SAS and GOT has a large uptake.
ARN-YUL 3 weekly/ARN-IAD 3 weekly
Or
CPH-ATL 6 weekly (might be reachable, though no *A-hub, but still +100 mio. pax a year)

Outsiders:
CPH-ADD (Addis Ababa) 3 weekly. Perfect distance for the aircraft, has been mentioned by SAS and would give a formidable covering of Africa with ET. Not sure about the business traffic, though.
CPH-BOM 3 weekly DEL Is taken but BOM should have a fair share of business travel too.
DEN would be great but probably a few hundred nm too far, even with just 160 seats and even from OSL.
Can the A321LR reach Pune, and is the runway in Pune capable of of handling a fully loaded and fueled A321? If yes and yes, that is my outsider destination bet.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:29 am

ARN-IAD would be huge for me personally, not that any of you care. Dear Thor please put a decent biz seat in there.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:12 am

Well, I'm not convinced something off like AAR/BLL-EWR would make sense. Sounds like a "nice for a niche market' option, but I can't imagine that being commercial viable. The connection AAR/BLL to the other Nordic capitals is just too bad. Would need to rely solely on OD traffic.

GOT-East Cost (EWR, YYZ, YUL, IAD) might make sense if they can get their ticketing with UA or AC aligned. Which was one of the biggest issues with the BOS and IAH route. Was close to impossible to get a connection ticket on UA.

Don't believe in Beirut or Tel Aviv. They just cut the BEY route last year down and these are routes almost all carriers fly with short-haul configurations. Might be nice to have another nice J option to Israel or Lebanon but can't imagine SK betting on that.

Could imagine ARN-BLR, but not sure the 321 has the range for that. It would work for the total distance 7080km vs 7400km A321LR range. Even calculating a minimum of 5% as reserve and an alternate in 100 miles distance.... it might not work out by 100km+/-.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Well, I'm not convinced something off like AAR/BLL-EWR would make sense. ... The connection AAR/BLL to the other Nordic capitals is just too bad. Would need to rely solely on OD traffic.
Sure. It's an uptake of 2.5 mio. and I have no idea, if that is enough. But the potential conquest would be huge, as people in this area have a very high tendency to fly LH/KL/AF/BA/DY when going TATL.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
Well, I'm not convinced something off like AAR/BLL-EWR would make sense. Sounds like a "nice for a niche market' option, but I can't imagine that being commercial viable. The connection AAR/BLL to the other Nordic capitals is just too bad. Would need to rely solely on OD traffic.
I don't believe in AAR-EWR either, but there is a lot of pressure from the local business, and it is in the middle of Jutland, where you can get to by car in 2-3 hours from almost any place in Jutland. Special the northern part which has bad connections to anywhere. So maybe one or two rotations per week.
BLL-EWR hasn't been mentioned at all in the DK press. But AAR-EWR has a lot.

It's not always logic which drives the decision on routes. A couple of years ago SK has a daily direct flight between CPH-VIE, and I believe ARN-VIE too. The route CPH-VIE was operated with A320/321's and often sold out. They then cut it to 3 weekly rotations and 6 months later closed it completely. Austrian has the hole time had 3 daily rotations between CPH-VIE and ARN-VIE. Some days they are now flying 4 daily rotations. They operate with the same type of birds, and also often have sold out flights.
If you want to book a flight CPH-VIE or ARN-VIE through SK, you will only get options to fly through FRA, or in rare cases CPH-ARN-VIE or ARN-CPH-VIE, but never CPN-VIE or ARN-VIE. Result. I'm offcource booking directly on Austrian.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:02 am

I think AAR-EWR came up as part of the seemingly continuing SK publicity stunt regarding AAR routes. I too do not believe in it, and think that, while they likely might try it, it will end up like the DEL route and east-bound longhaul from ARN: comes up every once in a while, they try it, and it fails after approximately six months - then either moves to CPH and becomes profitable or disappears

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.