Cancelled Flight: Options?

Old Jan 19, 19, 11:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 949
Cancelled Flight: Options?

I purchased a ticket for my in-laws to fly GOT-CPH-IAD on Monday and we just received an e-mail that flight SK925 has been cancelled. We called SAS and they said there are only 3 options:, fly tomorrow, fly Tuesday, or receive a refund. I'm not familiar with either Star Alliance or European carriers, but it seemed unusual not to offer a flight on another airline. Do they not have an obligation to rebook on United or Lufthansa if we identify a reasonable alternative on Monday?

Also, would EU261 apply in this case? What if we elected the flight tomorrow (so they would arrive early rather than delayed)? When asked for the reason behind the cancellation, the rep said it was "probably weather in Washington". If it the reason is in fact weather, I assume that means no EU261? FWIW, the weather forecast at IAD on Monday is currently calling for cloudy skies with a high of 22F, winds of 23MPH and 0% chance of precip. Why would this force a cancellation?

What would you do in this situation before calling back?
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 1:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,845
Call back, you will get a different reply and different version. Also call the US number if you hadn't done that already.

SAS has any number of options on its own network or other carriers to get you to your destination on Monday.
FlyingMoose is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
SK 925

Would love to know what you find out. I was originally booked on SAS 925 (originally CPH > IAD > LAX) now CPH > ARN > LAX. I wouldn't mind the change if the CPH to ARN flight wasn't 4+ hours earlier.
FleurDeLis is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:00 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,960
First and foremost, forget about EC 261/2004 compensation until your in-laws have handled their rebooking. It is presumably not time sensitive and that can be handled once they are safely back home (or wherever they wish to be).

EC 261/2004 provides the following rebooking options:
A. Cancel for a full refund.
B. Rebook under similar circumstances.
C. Rebook at a later date.

While SK is free to rebook on other carriers, it is not obligated to do so and nothing in the Regulation requires it to do so. I would also strongly counsel against a reroute at this point. Even if they can be rerouted as there are numerous other options, the prospect of being stuck at an intermediate city on one side or the other of the Atlantic is not appealing unless one has important meetings on the other end (and even then).

If you are intent on getting them to IAD, you should do the legwork and propose options to SK. The easier you make it by feeding the agent flight numbers, the better.

My advice is to fly on the 20th if at all possible.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:01 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 949
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
Would love to know what you find out. I was originally booked on SAS 925 (originally CPH > IAD > LAX) now CPH > ARN > LAX. I wouldn't mind the change if the CPH to ARN flight wasn't 4+ hours earlier.
I called back and they said it was weather in Washington. Someone at SAS should alert the news media here in Washington, because there is currently nothing in the forecast tomorrow or Monday.

We discussed this with my in-laws and they are not willing to fly on a different airline, so I didn't bring this up with the agent. We have some things planned for Tuesday so flying out tomorrow (a day early) was the best option. SAS seems to only want passengers to fly on their own metal, but in your case I would push to get routed through another city than ARN. However, if you are Scandinavian then I completely understand why sticking with SAS is the only option!
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 12:34 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
I called back and they said it was weather in Washington. Someone at SAS should alert the news media here in Washington, because there is currently nothing in the forecast tomorrow or Monday.

We discussed this with my in-laws and they are not willing to fly on a different airline, so I didn't bring this up with the agent. We have some things planned for Tuesday so flying out tomorrow (a day early) was the best option. SAS seems to only want passengers to fly on their own metal, but in your case I would push to get routed through another city than ARN. However, if you are Scandinavian then I completely understand why sticking with SAS is the only option!
Yeah, I noticed the lack of weather issues in DC as well. Another possibility - as we have TSA and ATC issues in the US right now (a whole other story, obviously) SAS probably prefers to do a layover in ARN. Additionally, on the flight over I heard they'd cancelled a flight that was direct to ARN that got cancelled, so those pax were on our flight that stopped in CPH first. So potentially, cancelling flights that weren't full or close to it.

We're going to go ahead and fly out early on Monday.
FleurDeLis is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 2:12 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
Lack of weather issues? A huge snow storm is going to hit the US east coast (Pennsylvania, NJ and NY) A lot of flight cancellations expected.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 8:43 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Good thing DC isn't in any of those states
FleurDeLis is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 10:16 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 949
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Lack of weather issues? A huge snow storm is going to hit the US east coast (Pennsylvania, NJ and NY) A lot of flight cancellations expected.
I don't doubt there may be bad weather somewhere in the US on Monday, just odd they would blame weather when the forecast looks good in the arrival city. But it makes sense if they can consolidate the CPH and ARN flights when they have lighter loads. Certainly convenient for SAS!
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 10:18 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 949
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Lack of weather issues? A huge snow storm is going to hit the US east coast (Pennsylvania, NJ and NY) A lot of flight cancellations expected.
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
Yeah, I noticed the lack of weather issues in DC as well. Another possibility - as we have TSA and ATC issues in the US right now (a whole other story, obviously) SAS probably prefers to do a layover in ARN. Additionally, on the flight over I heard they'd cancelled a flight that was direct to ARN that got cancelled, so those pax were on our flight that stopped in CPH first. So potentially, cancelling flights that weren't full or close to it.

We're going to go ahead and fly out early on Monday.
Safe travels!
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:47 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,960
The "weather" is a lot more than the weather at the departure and arrival points. There is a massive winter storm system battering a good swath of the route, likely impacting all traffic between Western Europe and the Northeast / Mid-Atlantic US.
SKT-DK likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:29 pm
  #12  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1A when possible
Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Posts: 3,788
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
Good thing DC isn't in any of those states

DC is not in in any STATE 😀
kauppias is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The "weather" is a lot more than the weather at the departure and arrival points. There is a massive winter storm system battering a good swath of the route, likely impacting all traffic between Western Europe and the Northeast / Mid-Atlantic US.
Exactly this. But as is very evident, a lot of people on this board will blame SK for anything from weather to starvation in certain parts of the world, at any chance they get. The reality is though, that weather in the arrival city alone is not the only factor influencing such cancellation.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Jan 24, 19, 11:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 1,070
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
Good thing DC isn't in any of those states
No but the route CPH - IAD passed over all 3 states, more or less straight through the predicted snow storm. No smart pilot will do that, and flying around it will probably cause a long delay if possible at all.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Jan 24, 19 at 11:46 am
highupinthesky is offline  
Old Jan 24, 19, 11:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 1,070
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
So potentially, cancelling flights that weren't full or close to it.
I've been on quite a number of long haul with SK, also when they were close to folding. I've never seen them cancel a flight due to low number of passenger, and I've been on flights where I had a whole row of 8 seats for my self, or only 2 people in business.
highupinthesky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread