Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

China Transit Without Visa - Experience from SAS Out Station

China Transit Without Visa - Experience from SAS Out Station

Old Jan 13, 19, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Iberia Plus Oros
China Transit Without Visa - Experience from SAS Outstation

Hello,

Knowing the topic is covered extensively in a separate thread, Iím still looking for some SAS specific feedback. Iíve got an upcoming TXL-CPH-PEK trip with SAS, staying one night in PEK before heading onwards to ICN on a separate itinerary with Asiana.

This itinerary should comply with the Chinese Transit Without Visa (TWOW) requirements, however, Iím starting to freak out a bit, as I am wondering how familiar with TWOW SAS staff is let alone an outstation staffed by a 3rd party handling agent.

Does anyone have experience with TWOW travelling with SAS in general, from TXL or an outstation?

Feedback is much appreciated:-)

Last edited by Springbok Viking; Jan 13, 19 at 5:40 am
Old Jan 13, 19, 6:20 am

Did not had any problems with HAM-CPH-PVG-ICN-PEK-CPH-HAM last year.

but that was on a single ticket... anyhow, the 72 hrs TWOW is fairy common knowledge and i bet will be recorded in Timatic (the Timatic output is what the agent at the check-in will lookup)
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:36 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by Springbok Viking View Post
Hello,

Knowing the topic is covered extensively in a separate thread, I’m still looking for some SAS specific feedback. I’ve got an upcoming TXL-CPH-PEK trip with SAS, staying one night in PEK before heading onwards to ICN on a separate itinerary with Asiana.

This itinerary should comply with the Chinese Transit Without Visa (TWOW) requirements, however, I’m starting to freak out a bit, as I am wondering how familiar with TWOW SAS staff is let alone an outstation staffed by a 3rd party handling agent.

Does anyone have experience with TWOW travelling with SAS in general, from TXL or an outstation?

SAS like all other airlines, can't help you with the immigration and visa's. It's 100% your own responsibility. Also when it's transit visa's. Only if you buy a package incl. hotel, the TA might help you with the visa's, but it's still your own responsibility you have the correct visa's
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Did not had any problems with HAM-CPH-PVG-ICN-PEK-CPH-HAM last year.

but that was on a single ticket... anyhow, the 72 hrs TWOW is fairy common knowledge and i bet will be recorded in Timatic (the Timatic output is what the agent at the check-in will lookup)
Thank you!
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
SAS like all other airlines, can't help you with the immigration and visa's. It's 100% your own responsibility. Also when it's transit visa's. Only if you buy a package incl. hotel, the TA might help you with the visa's, but it's still your own responsibility you have the correct visa's
Sorry, but this is useless advice...Of course they can`t help me ďwith the immigration and visaísĒ. Besides that, a package tour has no relation whatsoever for qualifying for the Transit Without Visa. I was asking for specific experience with SAS.
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
It's not a transit visa but rather TWOV = transit WITHOUT visa. OP isn't asking SAS for help with any visa and no travel agent or package is needed.
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as the outstation has internet access, it will have access to TIMATIC. Agents will also have access to a help desk if they require interpretive guidance.

You should not experience a different result at TXL than CPH, although you may wish to consider allowing additional time at TXL if it sets your mind at ease.

Whether a particular employee is smart or not has likely little to do with his location.
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
I have done this a couple of times with SAS connecting on separate bookings. Just make sure you have a printout of both itineraries as well as your hotel reservation in Beijing. SAS will want to see the onward flight reservation and Chinese immigration will want it all.
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:24 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Just a reminder, I heard the Chinese Gov has change the regulations of TWOV in Jan 1, 2019, you need to register online before arriving at PEK, tried to find a site but failed.
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:08 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hello,

Knowing the topic is covered extensively in a separate thread, Iím still looking for some SAS specific feedback. Iíve got an upcoming TXL-CPH-PEK trip with SAS, staying one night in PEK before heading onwards to ICN on a separate itinerary with Asiana.

This itinerary should comply with the Chinese Transit Without Visa (TWOW) requirements, however, Iím starting to freak out a bit, as I am wondering how familiar with TWOW SAS staff is let alone an outstation staffed by a 3rd party handling agent.

At TXL too they can look up what your passport and other travel documents inclusive of the tickets allow you. They do consider separately booked onward tickets. Sometimes they may make mistakes in how they use tools like IATAís TIMATIC and what they make of the provided documents and if what TIMATIC says, and at such times that means you may need to guide them or hope another airline check-in rep there or over the phone can get it right.

If you qualify for the Chinese TWOV for your trip with one or more ticketed bookings for a trip, it should be fine. If you have what is required and know for sure, make sure to be calmly confident and persistent in your dealings with check-in staff as that goes a long way in trying to make sure not to end up on the wrong side due to an airline agentís misunderstanding. I havenít found SAS at TXL to be any worse than SAS at ARN or OSL when it comes to my SAS trips to China and beyond.
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:08 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I've done this repeatedly, even on separate itineraries. Primarily at PVG flying MU from ARN but also at PEK with SAS flying ARN-CPH-PEK. Never had any issues.
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
There is also a very extensive thread on TWOV in China over on the China forum which may be of good use:
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jan 14, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Tried it without problems either - make sure you have a print out of your onward ticket (with ticket number so that they can see it's not just a booking reference).
Old Jan 14, 19, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your great insights;-)
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Sorry, but this is useless advice...Of course they can`t help me ďwith the immigration and visaísĒ. Besides that, a package tour has no relation whatsoever for qualifying for the Transit Without Visa. I was asking for specific experience with SAS.
Sorry, but why should SAS be any different from any other airline in relation to TWOV? You still have to pass through transit and/or immigration, The airlines has very little influence here. At best you might get someone to help you get in front of the queue.

Search this Thread