Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Govt Tax on Bonuspoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Govt Tax on Bonuspoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
What happens if you decide to save the points until you retire then spend them on a big trip? Or if you change company?
Have you considered a change of country of residence for tax purposes before cashing out?

There are some European professional services types working out of some no/low income tax jurisdictions in the GCC area who are doing so for the benefit of their European-based affiliates' bosses'/owners' retirement plans after relocation. I doubt airline points are the big consideration in such regard.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
So, what we talk here happening in NO seeems to be (mostly unknown) fact in Sweden already?
It's not something unknown. The Swedish tax authority describes how it works. On the other hand, the Norwegian tax authority explains how you determine the value of the benefit whereas the Swedish tax authority only talks about the value, potentially leaving more room for interpretation (read: it's unpredictable how much tax you will have to pay).

I get the impression that Norway only is changing how you report this, not how much tax you have to pay.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiRob
What happens if you decide to save the points until you retire then spend them on a big trip? Or if you change company?
Then you will have to inform your former employer, I think. I don't know what you'd do if the employer has since gone bankrupt.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Some person
It's not something unknown. The Swedish tax authority describes how it works. On the other hand, the Norwegian tax authority explains how you determine the value of the benefit whereas the Swedish tax authority only talks about the value, potentially leaving more room for interpretation (read: it's unpredictable how much tax you will have to pay).

I get the impression that Norway only is changing how you report this, not how much tax you have to pay.
I do wonder what proportion of the traveling people working for Skatteverket or even maybe the Admin Courts handling tax cases are in compliance with the requirement to report the discount/rebate currency acquired from work travel and used for non-work purposes. And I do wonder how they value the hotel rebate currency redemption value, especially when the hotels' billable rate for award nights may be well below the rates available via the major GDS.

For example, some hotels charge a flat nightly rate of c. 675 SEK for an award night even as the GDS rate for the night for the same kind of room would be 3-5 times higher than 675 SEK. What's the value of the points redeemed for such a night? Some may claim it's even less than the 675 SEK amount since the points can be bought for perhaps as little as 600 SEK.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Then you will have to inform your former employer, I think. I don't know what you'd do if the employer has since gone bankrupt.
Contact the bankruptcy administrator/trustee for the liquidated company?

But even if the former employer is not bankrupt, what if the employer has a restraining order against contact or communication by the former employee?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I do wonder what proportion of the traveling people working for Skatteverket or even maybe the Admin Courts handling tax cases are in compliance with the requirement to report the discount/rebate currency acquired from work travel and used for non-work purposes.
Here are two articles from the Swedish press published shortly before last year's parliamentary election:
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

The elected national legislators tend to be rather clueless about the niche areas within the tax compliance regime, but they don’t work in the tax compliance regime like the Admin Courts and Skatteverket do, and that’s why I mentioned the bureaucracy and judiciary rather than the legislature.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
This was discussed on Norwegian radio the other day, and the leader of the Finance Committee (from the ruling Høyre) seemed a bit unclear on how to set a value on the ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be changes and/or court cases. Eg, a Eurobonus booking is flexible and can be cancelled.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
This was discussed on Norwegian radio the other day, and the leader of the Finance Committee (from the ruling Høyre) seemed a bit unclear on how to set a value on the ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be changes and/or court cases. Eg, a Eurobonus booking is flexible and can be cancelled.
Award bookings are rather restricted and the space made available for them tends to be relatively low value or distressed inventory for the airline, while highly flexible fares that can be cancelled with no penalty or easily rebooked are relatively high value inventory for the airline. And if you saw the reimbursement rates the operating carriers get paid for award tickets by partner airline programs at least, the noted value in real currency terms is pretty low overall when you compare it to even heavily restricted economy class fares booked way in advance.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:31 am

Award bookings are rather restricted and the space made available for them tends to be relatively low value or distressed inventory for the airline, while highly flexible fares that can be cancelled with no penalty or easily rebooked are relatively high value inventory for the airline. And if you saw the reimbursement rates the operating carriers get paid for award tickets by partner airline programs at least, the noted value in real currency terms is pretty low overall when you compare it to even heavily restricted economy class fares booked way in advance.

I guess that would be the best approach, ask the carriers for the cash value of that X, I or O inventory they assign in the inventory management.

Read a bit more about the Swedish tax regulation and it seems I have been behind in taxes and social security contributions for years wondering if they will sometime start digging that up. Might be unpleasant for a lot of people. As I worked also for E///, even the big corporations in Sweden obviously have no clue. I can’t imagine E/// HR and finance would miss this?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:55 am

The elected national legislators tend to be rather clueless about the niche areas within the tax compliance regime, but they don’t work in the tax compliance regime like the Admin Courts and Skatteverket do, and that’s why I mentioned the bureaucracy and judiciary rather than the legislature.
I'd imagine that most of those people just go to work at their local tax office or court. Probably they don't get a lot of points from work-related travel. Lawyers maybe have to travel a bit if they have to go to courts in different parts of the country, although I suspect that many people use a local lawyer.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: More than one
You pay the tax when you use the points, not when you earn them. The tax is based on the value of the benefit, not the value of the points.
I understand that, but what is the value of the benefit if I book a trip using points? The amount of points required are the same no matter when I book the trip, but the price of the trip goes up the closer we get to the departure. Further with my SAS Mastercard status, I pay the same amount of points whether I fly M or C. How are the authorities going to check what I report is correct?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I understand that, but what is the value of the benefit if I book a trip using points?
The authorities have found themselves an easy solution to this: it's your responsibility to report the correct value, but it is at the same time impossible for you to determine this value. This is really something which needs to be taken to court for clarification.
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
How are the authorities going to check what I report is correct?
The authorities may ask you to provide more information to prove that what you have declared is correct. In Sweden, you are supposed to keep the necessary documents for 10 years (statute of limitations for tax fraud). It's probably some similar period of time in Norway. I'd imagine that this includes booking confirmations, redemption statements and evidence that it was or wasn't a business trip. I think that the 10-year period starts when you redeem your points, not when you earn then, so documents about accruals would need to be kept for 10 years from redemption.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are all the same issues raised the last time the IRS and then Congress started saber-rattling about roughly the same issue 15+ years ago in the US. In the end, the whole effort fell apart over valuation and administrative burden issues and went away.

If the scheme ever came into force, as here, it would have created a generation of tax cheats and likely cost much more to administer than it would generate in revenue.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Bonus points come with odd restrictions. If you use cash, then you can take either the 8 AM FR flight or the 10 AM SK flight, but if you use Eurobonus points, then you have to take the SK flight. Has there been any discussion on how this restriction affects the value of the benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.