CPH on New Year's Eve: Lukket

Old Jan 1, 19, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
CPH on New Year's Eve: Lukket

There was only an early morning SK flight CPH-LHR available on New Year's Eve, so I booked with BA. When arriving to CPH around 4 PM, I understood why. The SK check-in area in Terminal 1 was all but deserted. It would appear that SK doesn't fly on New Year's Eve. Shockingly, even though other airlines were operating (in fact, the Eventyr lounge was busier than I've ever seen it), not a single airport shop was open (apart from the hellish duty free shop that you're dumped into when exiting security, which is physically impossible to close so long as security is open). Nothing. So my plans to contribute some smoked salmon to New Year's Eve supper were thwarted.

I've flown on New Year's Eve quite a few times, and in my experience, other airports and other airlines operate at normal capacity. It doesn't entirely surprise me to find that SK and CPH operate according to the preferences and needs of their staff rather than their passengers.
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
It doesn't entirely surprise me to find that SK and CPH operate according to the preferences and needs of their staff rather than their passengers.
The airline too often seems to primarily operate for the benefit of those who can use its employee benefits for travel or are closely related to such. But most of that SK employee crowd and SK’s ordinary passengers wouldn’t even consider traveling on New Year’s Eve. Dressing up for home parties on NYE even if no one is coming over seems to be a rather typical preference for SK employees unless they get to spend the days around this time in some place warm or shopping or some combination of that. But 4pm on December 31st is rather desolate at many a hub of many an airline even in the US where vacation and other holiday time is far more limited than in “the workers’ paradise” in the SAS home market area.
Old Jan 1, 19, 7:16 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
SK operated about 25 flights from CPH yesterday. I don't think there would be a huge customer base missed. I have never seen CPH on the 31st, but Narita was eerily quite on a 31. 12 departure, and shops also heavily reduced.
​​​​​​
I can't say that I would hold it against airlines or airport shops to reduce activities dramatically on days were they know there will be limited traffic.
SK2751 and groovyfly like this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
SK operated about 25 flights from CPH yesterday. I don't think there would be a huge customer base missed. I have never seen CPH on the 31st, but Narita was eerily quite on a 31. 12 departure, and shops also heavily reduced.
​​​​​​
I can't say that I would hold it against airlines or airport shops to reduce activities dramatically on days were they know there will be limited traffic.
CPH on New Years Day too was pretty much close to a ghost town on the SK check in side late in the day at least. Even some of the CPH lounges may have closed earlier today than usual. But the CPH exit passport control lines designated for EU passport users was long at times on New Year’s Day — even while the “All Passports” line was near empty for most of the time.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:07 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

CPH on New Years Day too was pretty much close to a ghost town on the SK check in side late in the day at least. Even some of the CPH lounges may have closed earlier today than usual. But the CPH exit passport control lines designated for EU passport users was long at times on New Year’s Day — even while the “All Passports” line was near empty for most of the time.
I did see a couple SK long haul planes flying over around 4pm yesterday, so a bit of operations from SK did happen. From direction I would say US departures.

Thats a situation where I would immediately conclude that all passports are truly all passports.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Thats a situation where I would immediately conclude that all passports are truly all passports.
Apparently that wasn’t obvious to quite a large contingent of Danes and Swedes and others using EU/Schengen country passports to leave the Schengen area then.
SK2751 and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?

Apparently that wasn’t obvious to quite a large contingent of Danes and Swedes and others using EU/Schengen country passports to leave the Schengen area then.
We take instructions very literally.
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
We take instructions very literally.
It literally says 'all passports'
CPH-Flyer and TPJ like this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
It literally says 'all passports'
So if you are entering Schengen on an ID card, then you can't use this queue.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 2:13 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
I've flown on New Year's Eve quite a few times, and in my experience, other airports and other airlines operate at normal capacity. It doesn't entirely surprise me to find that SK and CPH operate according to the preferences and needs of their staff rather than their passengers.
SAS operate as all companies - accoding to their wallet. New years' simply isn't an important travel date here in the nordic countries. I myself have never considered travelling on that date, and I can't remember anyone I know doing so either. You want to spend the day with friends and family, and since 1st january is a day off work, why bother travelling on that day? 31st december is also (at least in Norway) a half-holiday, where shops operate by saturday opening hours or are closed.

Since there's a smaller market on that day combined with higher costs having people work that day, there are fewer flights.

As a side note, in Oslo, all public transportation is cancelled every christmas eve between 18:00 and 21:00 so even bus drivers etc can have a chance to relax. On the facebook post, there's no negative reaction, only thumbs up :-).
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS (for now!)
BGO and OSL also basically barren on New Year's Day. HEL however was packed with Asian pax, as usual.
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by aju View Post
SAS operate as all companies - accoding to their wallet. New years' simply isn't an important travel date here in the nordic countries. I myself have never considered travelling on that date, and I can't remember anyone I know doing so either. You want to spend the day with friends and family, and since 1st january is a day off work, why bother travelling on that day? 31st december is also (at least in Norway) a half-holiday, where shops operate by saturday opening hours or are closed.

Since there's a smaller market on that day combined with higher costs having people work that day, there are fewer flights.

As a side note, in Oslo, all public transportation is cancelled every christmas eve between 18:00 and 21:00 so even bus drivers etc can have a chance to relax. On the facebook post, there's no negative reaction, only thumbs up :-).
Public transit operates on Christmas Eve and January 1st and all days in between in Sweden’s 3 most populous “lans”/regions. It’s a reduced schedule but operates enough to be useful, despite the low demand — which in part may explain why they keep increasing fares since the utility of the public transit involves a balance between having frequent enough service to not drive people away and costs of having service when demand is low.
Old Jan 4, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I was looking at flightradar24.com on both the 24 and 31 of December. It's not only SK who reduces the flights to a minimum. I would say less than 25% of the normal flights in Europa was in the air.
Old Jan 4, 19, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

having frequent enough service
a frequent enough service that runs on schedule would be even better.

Johan
Old Jan 5, 19, 2:16 am

In my experience, ARN is almost empty on dates such as 24, 25 and 31 December and 1 January. The only flights that operate at full capacity are the charter flights that fly on a specific day each week. E.g. if you have a flight to Gran Canaria each Monday, and if New Year's Eve falls on a Monday, that flight would still operate and go with a full load both ways.

Virtually all flights on shorter routes are cancelled, such as OSL, HEL, GOT and CPH. Long-haul flights usually operate, but with a reduced load. Several years ago I once saw a 747 arrive from BKK on 25 December with 20 pax on board.

Search this Thread