Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Nickel and Dimed by SAS Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nickel and Dimed by SAS Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Expecting business class to not be THE EXACT SAME seat as coach for 3x the price is something most would assume as on it's face obvious, not necessary to research. You book an intra-Euro J flight, you expect the same crappy seat, but with the middle blocked. Not the same crappy seat AND no blocked middle.
As other have stated. Business does not exist on SK short haul Highest class here is Plus (SK name for premium economy). Beside that. I can't recall ever seen a SK plus ticket being 3X the price of coach. SK plus ticket are normally 50% more expensive than coach, and for that you get better food, a seat in front of the plane, lounge access, fast track access in security and more mileage points. With LH and other you pay at least 100% more for the similar tickets and the only extra advantage is the blocked middle seat. Is this really worth a 50% surcharge?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:01 am

I searched "business" class fares on Kayak and this turned up as a Business fare, so I booked it. Perhaps they should stop representing it as business.
If you mean Kayak should stop presenting it as business class I agree. SK stopped many years ago on short haul.
The problem is Kayak probably use the booking codes, and some of the business booking codes on SK long haul is used for Plus on short haul, just like almost any other airline does today.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:06 am

When you search for business class fares, and an airline shows up as offering a business class fare and you click through to book, you figure they aren't lying to you and that you don't need to research their history and which bucket it's booking into.
I'm 200% sure you will not see SK seats sold as business on shot haul on the SK web site. What resellers does, you need to discuss with them. If you have connecting flights where SK is one leg and e.g. LH another and you book business, it should be clearly stated that the SK flight is in plus, not business. Booking such a flight through the SK website will show the flight as plus with the note under the details that the LH flight will be in business (can't recall whether they have premium economy on short haul)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Only if you actually know that SK doesn't offer business on shorthaul. I bet that there are lots of people out there who don't.
If you read the reply you quoted, you would have seen that the difference between LH business and SK plus on short haul is only the blocked seat, and not all airlines has blocked middle seat on short haul business, despite using economy seats, so in reality, you are getting business for premium economy price on SK short haul.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What SK does and does not provide is irrelevant. What is relevant is that SK's marketing matches the product. Whether the product is good value is a subjective choice made by the consumer.

If some third-party chooses to deceptively market another's product, the customer's complaint lies with the third-party.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
What SK does and does not provide is irrelevant. What is relevant is that SK's marketing matches the product. Whether the product is good value is a subjective choice made by the consumer.

If some third-party chooses to deceptively market another's product, the customer's complaint lies with the third-party.
SAS markets the often crammed intra-Europe SASPlus section as business class in some channels that are even its own direct distribution ones. So SAS is getting its due with the criticism of SAS short-haul business class seating being as bad as SAS short-haul economy class seating.

It’s a wonderful feeling being in a cramped SAS economy class middle seat after asking and paying SAS for business class, but have you even ever experienced that yourself?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

SAS markets the often crammed intra-Europe SASPlus section as business class in some channels that are even its own direct distribution ones. So SAS is getting its due with the criticism of SAS short-haul business class seating being as bad as SAS short-haul economy class seating.

It’s a wonderful feeling being in a cramped SAS economy class middle seat after asking and paying SAS for business class, but have you even ever experienced that yourself?
What channels would those be?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:01 am

OP DYKWIA
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Read the small print. End of.
SKT-DK and JR67 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What channels would those be?
As in booking over the phone and in-person with SAS employees.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Read the small print. End of.
Which small print does SAS provide at the time of booking over the phone?

Have you read any small print that SAS provides when ticketing in person with SAS employees? What did the small print say?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Granted, I have not booked via phone or in person in ages, and I have never tried asking for business class when booking an intra Europe flight post. business class cessation, so I have no experience of what the reply will be.

But as this would be dependent on the reaction and explanation of a specific agent on any given day, neither do you really. They may very well just issue a Plus ticket with no words of advise, or they may warn that it is Plus and on the specific flight no business class is offered.

However that being said, the confirmation email the passenger will receive will not say business class, or indicate that the passenger is flying business class. Admittedly, booking directly in the airport for an immediate subsequent flight, the email would not be read in advance
SKT-DK likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Dec 27, 2018 at 9:25 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

Which small print does SAS provide at the time of booking over the phone?

Have you read any small print that SAS provides when ticketing in person with SAS employees? What did the small print say?
In olden days, when people had to rely on Yellow Pages, you might have a point, but these days it is all at your fingertips.

Or, God forbid, people strike up a conversation with other people !
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:44 pm

As a test, I looked at the websites of two partner airlines.

First I checked Deutsche Lufthansa. I wanted a one-way ticket for flight LH6227 (LH codeshare for SK635) from ARN to FRA on the 10th of January. I'm offered "Business Saver" and "Business Flex".

Then I checked United Airlines. On the 9th of January, SK525 ARN-LHR followed by UA17 LHR-EWR, then on the 16th UA70 EWR-AMS followed by UA7051 (codeshare for SK556) AMS-ARN. UA presents SAS Plus as business class, both for the codeshare and for the SK code.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Some person
As a test, I looked at the websites of two partner airlines.

First I checked Deutsche Lufthansa. I wanted a one-way ticket for flight LH6227 (LH codeshare for SK635) from ARN to FRA on the 10th of January. I'm offered "Business Saver" and "Business Flex".

Then I checked United Airlines. On the 9th of January, SK525 ARN-LHR followed by UA17 LHR-EWR, then on the 16th UA70 EWR-AMS followed by UA7051 (codeshare for SK556) AMS-ARN. UA presents SAS Plus as business class, both for the codeshare and for the SK code.
And in what way does that make SK represent Plus as business? In these cases your quarrel is with Lufthansa and United for offering something you will not get.

But United is also perfectly willing to sell you US domestic F on a one class regional jet. So I am hardly surprised on their count
SK2751 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by another_shot
It is not entirely correct. I flew LH earlier today and I have bought "light" fare with no baggage as I had carry-on only, but when LH is offering you a choice between "normal" and "light" fare, the difference money wise would be around 15-20 eur one way intra-europe but it books into the same booking class. I have no clue how they sorting it out internally but today I have paid 600 eur one way for LH "light" and it was B booking class, just one step of from full Y.
Could it be that LH is offering regular and light fares in most/all fare classes, where (in addition to price) the difference is the free checked bag allowance and other privileges such as advanced seat selection not associated with their light fares? In fact, if you look at their fare codes, it wouldn't surprise me if they're using a designator or some consistent code to indicate the flight fares in every fare class that offers them. This would permit LH to sell the light fares even when the flight is quite full or close to departure when lower fare classes aren't available. It would also allow passengers not taking RTs or satisfying advanced purchase or min/max stay requirements to save a little with the light fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.