Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Nickel and Dimed by SAS Airlines

Nickel and Dimed by SAS Airlines

Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could it be that LH is offering regular and light fares in most/all fare classes, where (in addition to price) the difference is the free checked bag allowance and other privileges such as advanced seat selection not associated with their light fares? In fact, if you look at their fare codes, it wouldn't surprise me if they're using a designator or some consistent code to indicate the flight fares in every fare class that offers them. This would permit LH to sell the light fares even when the flight is quite full or close to departure when lower fare classes aren't available. It would also allow passengers not taking RTs or satisfying advanced purchase or min/max stay requirements to save a little with the light fares.
This may also have to do with their pricing policy. LH heavily price discriminates by charging higher prices to pax who buy one way tickets. I haven't checked lately but until recently it was very often the case for a RT/multi-city ticket sold on LH's website to be significantly cheaper in absolute terms (sometimes half the price, or even lower) than buying one of the trips included in that ticket separately. As if they wouldn't like to let any room for competitors to even breathe...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jayxxl
No, it isn't. Star Alliance rules are part of my contractual agreement if I buy a ticket.
Unfortunately, nowhere does Star Alliance say that you will have guaranteed extra bag allowance on certain carriers (NZ, LH Group, SAS). I agree it's a farce that this is happening, but the rules allow it to, and that's the ticket you bought.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
In olden days, when people had to rely on Yellow Pages, you might have a point, but these days it is all at your fingertips.

Or, God forbid, people strike up a conversation with other people !
The point is that SAS does at times market and sell SASPlus as business class. Regardless of what else SAS may put out there in the world in small print or otherwise, SAS does at times directly market and sell intra-Europe SASPlus as business class.

The consumer should be able to rely upon SAS’s direct and personal representations about what’s is being sold when asking for and paying for business class travel. And this shouldn’t require a hunt elsewhere to find “small print”, as SAS representations made by its ticketing agents on the phone or airports or other ticketing offices aren’t necessarily any less binding on SAS than some out of the way “small print” — one of the key reasons so many airline contracts of carriage include language to claim that the contract isn’t wiped out in its entirety if one or more parts of it is unenforceable or found to otherwise be illegal.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 29, 2018 at 5:02 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Granted, I have not booked via phone or in person in ages, and I have never tried asking for business class when booking an intra Europe flight post. business class cessation, so I have no experience of what the reply will be.

But as this would be dependent on the reaction and explanation of a specific agent on any given day, neither do you really.
Given your first sentence above and given I book SAS flights in person or on the phone frequently enough for it to not be “ages” back, I’ll take it that I certainly do have way more experience of what the SAS agent response has been before and almost certainly will be at times this coming week too.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Given your first sentence above and given I book SAS flights in person or on the phone frequently enough for it to not be “ages” back, I’ll take it that I certainly do have way more experience of what the SAS agent response has been before and almost certainly will be at times this coming week too.
And do you then ask for a business class flight from Arlanda to London and back again? And what is the general comment to that?

​​​​​​(insert any for you more relevant airports within the European network)
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

And do you then ask for a business class flight from Arlanda to London and back again? And what is the general comment to that?

​​​​​​(insert any for you more relevant airports within the European network)
Where do you come up with Arlanda and Arlanda to London? The plurality of my flights with SAS have to do with CPH, and London is anything but my primary SAS destination out of CPH or ARN. I use CPH more than I use ARN (or even ARN+OSL), and I have had to do more in-person ticketing in Denmark than in Sweden or Norway.

If anything, I'm talking about dealing with SAS employees in Denmark before SAS employees in Sweden or Norway. And it's more like when someone is asking for a flight from CPH to LHR and being told by SAS that all they have left is business class on a particular flight. But SAS also still has agents of sorts outside of Europe selling tickets for SAS flights within Europe.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 29, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:47 am

SAS offers "SAS Business Smart" from OSL to NRT. No note about the OSL-CPH leg being in a different class before the payment page.

Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Where do you come up with Arlanda and Arlanda to London? The plurality of my flights with SAS have to do with CPH, and London is anything but my primary destination out of CPH or ARN. I use CPH more than I use ARN or even ARN+OSL, and I have to do more in-person ticketing in Denmark than in Sweden or Norway.
Hence I said, insert any relevant airport to the equation. I don't know your travel patterns, so it was just to give an example.

But I can ask, when you call and ask for a business class ticket from airport A in the European network to airport B in the European network and back again, what is the reaction?
​​​​​​
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Hence I said, insert any relevant airport to the equation. I don't know your travel patterns, so it was just to give an example.

But I can ask, when you call and ask for a business class ticket from airport A in the European network to airport B in the European network and back again, what is the reaction?
​​​​​​
More frequently, it's something like "I want a seat on X flight (on Y date) for Z", and then from there that is where the responses vary from SAS agents, including things like "business class is available".
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by Some person
SAS offers "SAS Business Smart" from OSL to NRT. No note about the OSL-CPH leg being in a different class before the payment page.
Here we have a clear-cut case of SK selling a business product that isn't really business. Granted. But the only time this will happen is with feeder flights to SK longhaul business. Seeing as Scandinavia is so small we are talking about one-hour flights. Or maybe two short flights if you live in the Norwegian bushcountry. SK plus is exactly the same as LH business without the middle seat block. Why are all of you getting so upset about spending an hour with someone next to you when you will get great seats on the longhaul? Much better than you would on e.g. LH, LX, OS, BA, pick your carrier...

Marketing Plus on a TATL as business would be terrible. Marketing the 55 minute flight OSL-CPH (yeah, I know it is scheduled as a longer flight but it isn't) as business when it is almost the same as LH business is not going to kill anyone except the most irritating DYKWIAs. And I will guarantee you that when you get the e-ticket it will say Plus on that leg and you will have 24 hours to cancel if it puts you out so much.

So isn't this thread flogged enough? Happy New Year peeps! :-)
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JR67
Here we have a clear-cut case of SK selling a business product that isn't really business. Granted. But the only time this will happen is with feeder flights to SK longhaul business. Seeing as Scandinavia is so small we are talking about one-hour flights. Or maybe two short flights if you live in the Norwegian bushcountry. SK plus is exactly the same as LH business without the middle seat block. Why are all of you getting so upset about spending an hour with someone next to you when you will get great seats on the longhaul? Much better than you would on e.g. LH, LX, OS, BA, pick your carrier...

Marketing Plus on a TATL as business would be terrible. Marketing the 55 minute flight OSL-CPH (yeah, I know it is scheduled as a longer flight but it isn't) as business when it is almost the same as LH business is not going to kill anyone except the most irritating DYKWIAs. And I will guarantee you that when you get the e-ticket it will say Plus on that leg and you will have 24 hours to cancel if it puts you out so much.

Paying for say C/J and being booked into a tight economy class middle seat between two other passengers is something LH, LX, OS, or BA do at time of ticketing/booking on itineraries where there is no indication of different class of service being booked on a continuing/feeder short/medium-haul flight than for the long-haul business class flight?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Paying for say C/J and being booked into a tight economy class middle seat between two other passengers is something LH, LX, OS, or BA do at time of ticketing/booking on itineraries where there is no indication of different class of service being booked on a continuing/feeder short/medium-haul flight than for the long-haul business class flight?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:44 am

Why are all of you getting so upset about spending an hour with someone next to you when you will get great seats on the longhaul?
I don't mind travelling in economy class. I do mind travelling in economy class if the ticket was marketed as business class.
It's the Nordic way of doing things. Try booking first class on an SJ X40 train.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Some person
It's the Nordic way of doing things.
Does Finnair do this? I can't recall buying a premium cabin seat for an international AY short-haul flight and ending up in a middle seat between two other passengers. I do recall SK doing this more than a few times.

My SJ Prio status was earned without sitting in any middle seats (as I don't use the SJ X40s). I can't say the same thing about my Star Alliance airline programs' status levels, as some of that has involved being in a middle seat between two other passengers.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:53 am

My SJ Prio status was earned without sitting in any middle seats (as I don't use the SJ X40s). I can't say the same thing about my Star Alliance airline programs' status levels, as some of that has involved being in a middle seat between two other passengers.
The thing with SJ X40 is that there is absolutely no difference between first and second class. Both classes have the same 2-2 configuration, so SJ is, in the same way as SK, selling economy class as premium class.

AY warns you if some flights don't have business class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.