Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Nickel and Dimed by SAS Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nickel and Dimed by SAS Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jayxxl
Chat does not work. May work under Windows, don't know. I don't do phone calls.

Fraud. Fraudulent and misleading billing. I was a tiny amount I asked back. Wizz resisted. I bough new tickets from another airline (6 flight legs!). Disputed, after some back and forward, a letter from a lawyer did wonders. All credited back into my account. It is easy to play hard ball against someone who is weak. But against a big company, I happily take the challenge. Not sure how much they lost in the end. But all I asked was 50 dollars back, that they overcharged me.

Want to bet against it?
And that explains it. If it was a "tiny" amount (less than $100?) and you are a good customer of the card issuer, you will find your chargeback granted even if the merchant vendor bothers to respond, which it doesn't. It is easier and cheaper for both the card issuer and the merchant vendor to let the small stuff go.

You may find that a similar dispute here works with SK. Simply not worth a major carrier's bandwidth to fight over chump change. They just hope you go away and fly someone else the next time.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by another_shot
It is not entirely correct. I flew LH earlier today and I have bought "light" fare with no baggage as I had carry-on only, but when LH is offering you a choice between "normal" and "light" fare, the difference money wise would be around 15-20 eur one way intra-europe but it books into the same booking class. I have no clue how they sorting it out internally but today I have paid 600 eur one way for LH "light" and it was B booking class, just one step of from full Y.
You are right, some airlines do it better and do not offer a Light option it in higher booking classes. I fact even SK manages on its US routes to offer it only in the lowest 3 buckets but on European travel they insist on offering a light fare in every bucket (but award).
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall taking an intra-Europe or perhaps domestic flight in Norway where business class didn't even have the middle blocked. LOL @ charging for business when it's the same seat as coach without even blocking the middle. What do they charge several hundred $ more for? The inedible box of gloop they pass off as a "meal?" I avoid SAS whenever possible, but sometimes there's no choice. It's not a very good airline.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall taking an intra-Europe or perhaps domestic flight in Norway where business class didn't even have the middle blocked. LOL @ charging for business when it's the same seat as coach without even blocking the middle. What do they charge several hundred $ more for? The inedible box of gloop they pass off as a "meal?" I avoid SAS whenever possible, but sometimes there's no choice. It's not a very good airline.
Why ? Because they can ! Its not really difficult is it ? Its not the greatest of airlines but it gets you from a to b and often at extremely low fares, so what do you expect.

Disappointment normally is a function of poor research
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Why ? Because they can ! Its not really difficult is it ? Its not the greatest of airlines but it gets you from a to b and often at extremely low fares, so what do you expect.

Disappointment normally is a function of poor research
Expecting business class to not be THE EXACT SAME seat as coach for 3x the price is something most would assume as on it's face obvious, not necessary to research. You book an intra-Euro J flight, you expect the same crappy seat, but with the middle blocked. Not the same crappy seat AND no blocked middle.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
SK got rid of intra Europe business class in 2013, and intra Nordic back in 2002. They do offer Plus which is a premium economy product, and it does indeed not have a blocked middle seat. The product started its life as Economy Flex, then Economy Extra, and when business class was removed it was rebranded as SAS Plus.

I realise that if you redeem via United, you are charged J amount of miles for a PY product, but that is really between United and their members.

Pre 2013, business class did indeed have a blocked middle seat.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Expecting business class to not be THE EXACT SAME seat as coach for 3x the price is something most would assume as on it's face obvious, not necessary to research. You book an intra-Euro J flight, you expect the same crappy seat, but with the middle blocked. Not the same crappy seat AND no blocked middle.
Except the facts that you yourself present seem to prove that you are incorrect. I would have though if you fly more than a few times you would realize air fares and logic do not go hand in hand, Only the rules of supply and demand have any bearing, and if an airline is making money they are playing the right game, If they are not they will cease to business. There are very few routes where an airline has a monopoly, so....do your research, make your choice and you should not be disappointed, at least if you get what it says on the box !
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
I find all these complaints are barely worth the discussion. It is easy to criticise food & seating, but for most passengers that's not what they care most on a flight of less than 2 hours and it is often purely down to personal preference. Food is only a little differentiator when there are two almost equal choices. I fly a decent amount of SAS because I think SAS gets the basics right. I value the Go and Plus concept because it keeps Plus prices and low. The most important feature of Plus is in my opinion its flexibility and that you are prioritised for a free seat next to you if the load allows it (for 2+ hour flights).
I personally prefer the cube over some Lufthansa standard (business) meal, but I can understand that others feel the other way round. They are welcome to choose a LH owned carrier if there is choice instead of SK. I personally have been flying an equal amount of LH-group, SAS and also low-cost carriers (for direct flights) intra-europe and I rather care better schedule, flexibility, handling of IROPS and price when buying my ticket than the food concept.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It's amazing how often people get to believe there is business class on some routes where it was removed 15+ years ago. I admit that I often also don't have time to research before booking, but at least on my way to the gate I tend to google for the service levels of the airline to know what to expect. I have rarely (never?) been served less than advertised. I am gonna get myself a bag of pop-corn and watch how people drum each other up in here, though. It is fairly entertaining
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People simply don't do the research and then assume that because something is offered on some other carrier on some other route, that it will be this way for them on SK.

No different than OP who complains that he had a contract requiring a *G baggage allowance then the *A terms clearly except the fare basis he chose to purchase.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SK got rid of intra Europe business class in 2013, and intra Nordic back in 2002. They do offer Plus which is a premium economy product, and it does indeed not have a blocked middle seat. The product started its life as Economy Flex, then Economy Extra, and when business class was removed it was rebranded as SAS Plus.

I realise that if you redeem via United, you are charged J amount of miles for a PY product, but that is really between United and their members.

Pre 2013, business class did indeed have a blocked middle seat.
I searched "business" class fares on Kayak and this turned up as a Business fare, so I booked it. Perhaps they should stop representing it as business.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.
When you search for business class fares, and an airline shows up as offering a business class fare and you click through to book, you figure they aren't lying to you and that you don't need to research their history and which bucket it's booking into.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I searched "business" class fares on Kayak and this turned up as a Business fare, so I booked it. Perhaps they should stop representing it as business.
SK does not advertise or represent it as business class That Kayak does is of course quite unfortunate, but should really be raised with Kayak.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
When you search for business class fares, and an airline shows up as offering a business class fare and you click through to book, you figure they aren't lying to you and that you don't need to research their history and which bucket it's booking into.
Their definition of "business" and my definition of "business" are likely two different things and I always check. It would be nice to think that they aren't lying but they do. I think the experience has proved that you do have to check these days. I am sorry that is the case, but that seems to be the way of the airline world these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.