Lounge access in BEY?

Old Dec 18, 18, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Airfrance Platinum, Royal Jordanian Gold
Lounge access in BEY?

I’m travelling SK from BEY later this week in J. Im EBG. Does anyone know if I will have access to a lounge? According to the *A lounge finder it doesnt look promising...
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:25 am

Third party lounge meaning, sadly, no lounge (I know I keep going on about it but this is amongst the reasons why I stopped flying SAS altogether).

P.S.: on an entirely different note, I flew out of Beirut recently on Alitalia (and Air France on a different occasion), they both use the Cedar lounge (you may already be familiar with it?) which is possibly amongst the best airport lounges I've ever visited decent standards in terms of furnishing/ambience generally speaking and quality food making it a great place to work and indeed spend a few hours waiting for a flight.

G
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you. This what was I expected. I think I still have a few free visits left on my DC so might use the priority lounge.

Yes, the new Cedar Lounge is indeed very nice. Compared to its seize, BEY is pretty spoiled when it comes to lounges, I think.
Old Dec 25, 18, 12:48 am
Original Poster

I can confirm that no lounge access is offered in BEY. We used the new Ahlen lounge with my DC, it was a very pleasant experience.

The flight was disappointing. Even though our tickets clearly said “business class” I did not expect anything but economy class hard product. However, I was disappointed that they for a 4,5 hours flight did not serve a pre-departure drink or anything else that could make the experience a little special. What annoyedme the most though was the the ignorance/arrogance from the crew, especially the purser who clearly saw pax as nothing more than the nessecary evil of the day. No “welcome on board”, not even a “hello” was she ready to spare us when we boarded. I asked if my wife’s coat could hang in the front closet but was told “we need it for ourselves”. I Saw one elderly women in 1C who approached the purser with her seat number (I assume she was expecting a little extra attention) who pointed the location of the seat out to her and that’s all. I later realised the soft product sold as “business” was in fact plus. When I pointed out to the purser that out tickets said “business” she informed me SK doesn’t offer a business class product on European routes anymore(which I obviously was aware of). I mentioned that Lebanon is not in Europe and it’s a 4,5 hours flight to which she replied it was still possible to buy business class “tickets” to get extra bagage allowance. In any case, In total we were only 4 pax in “business” so it would have been easy to provide some extra attention if one wanted to.

I have flown AF and MEA on the same route. MEA’s hard product in J is significantly better than SK (and AF) while FAs on both of them have the courtesy to welcome pax during boarding and in general make you believe that they appreciate your business.
Old Dec 25, 18, 1:45 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I am surprised you expected anything but Plus soft product. Any check on SK's homepage would have shown it as Plus.

I guess you did not book directly with SK?

The crew attitude sounds pretty abysmal, I don't understand why SK can't get some of their crews to be a bit more customer focused.
Old Dec 25, 18, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I must admit I didn’t bother checking which type of soft product SK offers on a 4,5 hours flight to/from Beirut, Lebanon (i.e. not intra-Europe) since it was an award ticket booked for Go points due to my MC Premium level. However, since I am pretty sure they offered three different classes (Go, Plus, Business) at the time of booking and the SK app clearly lists the booking class as “SAS Business” I was expecting a little more than Plus (on the soft product, only). Had I paid full price, revenue or points, it would have been different and I have felt I had been downgraded.

What bothered me the most was the attitude of the FAs and in particular the purser on this particular flight who barely seemed to tolerate the presence of pax. Especially since there were only 4 of us in “business” - she clearly had preferred zero

Even FAs on LCCs in this region treat pax with a more welcoming spirit - not to mention full service airlines like MEA, AF, RJ. From this perspective, it makes sense that SK is discontinuing BEY.
Old Dec 25, 18, 8:42 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Considering that CPH-TLV only had Plus and Go after business class removed, and always was on European service flow, I really doubt SK showed BEY as 3 class. But I could be wrong.

As discussed in another thread, it is seemingly common for Expedia and Kayak and other OTAs to show European Plus both when searching PY and searching for J. Which kind of adds to people's confusion.

The staff issues, you should really highlight to SK, not that it helps you, but SK should know what they need to improve. If they do it, is of course another question.
Old Dec 25, 18, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I’ve just checked the e-ticket which lists the booking class as “I” (India) while according to the SAS app, the booking class is “SAS Business”. At least based on the SAS App, I still belive an uninformed traveller has at least some reason to expect some degree of business class feel to the soft product when it’s a 4,5 hours flight - otherwise the booking class should say “SAS Plus”.

Merry X-mas

Last edited by Hafnia; Dec 25, 18 at 10:56 pm
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:25 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by Hafnia View Post
Thank you. I’ve just checked the e-ticket which lists the booking class as “I” (India) while according to the SAS app, the booking class is “SAS Business”. At least based on the SAS App, I still belive an uniformed traveller has at least some reason to expect some degree of business class feel to the soft product when it’s a 4,5 hours flight - otherwise the booking class should say “SAS Plus”.

Merry X-mas
Ahhh, I is award business class inventory. I never tried booking award Plus. Pretty poor show of SK if they actually call it business in the system. They should switch it to F that they use for long haul Plus redemptions to avoid the confusion..... You can add that your customer feedback

Merry Xmas
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:09 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Hafnia View Post
What bothered me the most was the attitude of the FAs and in particular the purser on this particular flight who barely seemed to tolerate the presence of pax. Especially since there were only 4 of us in “business” - she clearly had preferred zero
That's a consistent problem across SK though and repeatedly bringing this to SK's attention has made zero difference. SAS does not care how their staff treated their passengers and does not care if you stop flying them as a result of that.

As long as MacDonalds and Starbucks have obligatory customer service training, I can't believe that stewardesses don't go through that and are not held responsible for customer satisfaction.
Old Dec 31, 18, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
That's a consistent problem across SK though and repeatedly bringing this to SK's attention has made zero difference. SAS does not care how their staff treated their passengers and does not care if you stop flying them as a result of that.

As long as MacDonalds and Starbucks have obligatory customer service training, I can't believe that stewardesses don't go through that and are not held responsible for customer satisfaction.
SAS seems to be primarily run for the benefit of those entitled to benefit from airline employee travel benefits -- that includes SK management, SK's employees and those with family and friend relationships to such.

There are a couple of SK FAs whom I see so often on some of my flights that I know what kind of attitude and "service" will be coming to at least some SK passengers. It doesn't take too long into the flights for me to reconfirm that the mantra about old dogs and new tricks is applicable to SK.

SK seems to have some questionable employee management practices, whether or not its by way of retention practices, of hiring practices or otherwise. Complaints about SK seem to mainly get attention from those with tin ears that don't work so well.

I wouldn't recommend flying SK to BEY regardless of class of service, unless it was the most direct route or cheapest route and worth tolerating (for those reasons).

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 31, 18 at 10:00 am

Search this Thread