Rebooking downgrade

Old Nov 24, 18, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
Rebooking downgrade

So, I had a European trip booked in Plus and one of the flights was cancelled. Within 10 minutes of the cancellation, they had rebooked me on Lufthansa flights in economy. I called them and got booked onto alternate SAS flights, because the Lufthansa flights went way out of the way (Hamburg to Stockholm via Munich) and they had availability via CPH that worked better. But it just made me curious, will they ever 'upgrade' passengers to business class when rebooking Plus flights or will they always downgrade you to economy? Also, one thing that I don't really understand, though I have seen this before, when they ended up rebooking me on the SAS flights, they were no longer classed as economy plus, but business class. (I am presuming this is related to what fare classes were available?) This then made me wonder, if you were booked in SAS Plus with a fare labelled as business, would they then rebook you into business on other airlines if there was a need to rebook?

At the end of the day, I am pleased with the result, as going via Copenhagen gave me double the miles. Just kind of curious about how it normally works with rebooking, because I think I would have been quite irritated to be downgraded.
Old Nov 24, 18, 2:58 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
C, D, Z would most likely trigger a rebooking in business class.

On codeshare these classes also triggers seating in business class, if they also map to the same class on the operating carrier .Or at least they used to
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Nov 25, 18 at 12:50 am
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:31 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If economy is full they will book you into biz class with other carriers. Otherwise no. With Plus you will get rebooked to economy with other carriers (unless such carrier has PE).
Old Nov 25, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Few weeks ago SAS rebooked me on LH flight to business. (CPH-FRA-GDN; A->C), Y wasn't full on both flights.
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:47 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I've always been rebooked into coach on alternative carriers while on Plus bookings intra-Europe. A very disappointing and questionable practice.
Old Nov 28, 18, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
I've always been rebooked into coach on alternative carriers while on Plus bookings intra-Europe. A very disappointing and questionable practice.
Same here unless on full fare C.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Dia, Marriott PP, UA *G, SK Dia
My SK flight today ORD-ARN-FRA in Plus (which I had specifically booked to fly SAS Plus) was rebooked into LH ORD-FRA in Y with terrible seats available (booking class W).
I called them and they did not find any availability in PE for any outgoing *A flight. An upgrade into C was not possible according to them (while I see availability).
They told me to reach out to customer services to request compensation after the flight. Am I correct that according to EU 261/2004 this categorizes as a type 3 flight downgrading and should result in a 75% refund of the ticket?

Last edited by flockavelliFT; Nov 29, 18 at 7:34 am
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:04 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flockavelliFT View Post
My SK flight today ORD-ARN-FRA in Plus (which I had specifically booked to fly SAS Plus) was rebooked into LH ORD-FRA in Y with terrible seats available (booking class W).
I called them and they did not find any availability in PE for any outgoing *A flight. An upgrade into C was not possible according to them (while I see availability).
They told me to reach out to customer services to request compensation after the flight. Am I correct that according to EU 261/2004 this categorizes as a type 3 flight downgrading and should result in a 75% refund of the ticket?
My understanding is that it is 75% of the part that was downgraded, not the full ticket. And will only be the fare part, not government fees and airport taxes.
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:10 am

When I have been downgraded when re-booked onto another carrier, I have been given 150 Euros compensation. On occasion this has been more than the cost of the original ticket.These have all been sort Scandinavian/Baltic flights, and the re-booking has been the result of cancelled flights.

Search this Thread