Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SK943 (CPH-ORD), Nov. 20, Diverted back to CPH

Old Nov 20, 18, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite

Was just notified that my flight tonight SK944 (ORD-CPH) is delayed for almost two hours. Turns out the outbound departed and returned to CPH after two hours and a different aircraft is performing the flight. Any information on what happened?

Most probably I am going to miss my connecting flight to HAM; can I take care of that in ORD? Where, at check-in or would the SAS lounge would Alsop be an option?
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:50 pm

If the flight is just two hours delayed the chances are quite high that they catch up on timing until you reach CPH. There are only 3 to 4 flights CPH-HAM a day anyway, so I would just wait until youíre in CPH. Then go to the SAS lounge directly after passport control if you indeed miss your connection.

BTw HAM flights usually leave at C bus gates which are like 5 minutes walk tops from passport control. So, if in doubt you could catch the flight, make a run for it.

Old Nov 20, 18, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
If the flight is just two hours delayed the chances are quite high that they catch up on timing until you reach CPH. There are only 3 to 4 flights CPH-HAM a day anyway, so I would just wait until youíre in CPH. Then go to the SAS lounge directly after passport control if you indeed miss your connection.

BTw HAM flights usually leave at C bus gates which are like 5 minutes walk tops from passport control. So, if in doubt you could catch the flight, make a run for it.

I think this requires clarification. The CPH-ORD flight ended up returning to CPH and ultimately departing again to ORD closer to 5 hours later than my usual time. And there is no way the return ORD-CPH flight will arrive back at CPH by making up all that time. I anticipate at least a 65 minute delay to get to the gate at CPH on Wednesday afternoon ó and thatís in a best case situation at this point.

FWIW, when there are no more flights available with seats to HAM from CPH, SK at times puts the misconnecting passengers on a bus to HAM.
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both for the helpful reply.

What happened is that the flight was operated firstly by LN-RKF that returned to CPH probably because of a mechanical issue and the flight departed again (this time by LN-RKP) about three hours after the original departure. It is suppose to land in ORD in less than three hours and suppose to take off on 23:40 (namely 1 hour and 35 minutes late). Will see about that....

Anyway, do I understand correctly that I do not need to clear security at CPH (only immigration)?

Right now there are seats on the later flight to HAM so hopefully I will not have to take the bus
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just remember that the delay is measured at your final ticketed destination of HAM. If that exceeds 3 hours, you will be due EUR 300 and if exceeding 4 hours, EUR 600 (presuming that the delay reason is as stated).

That should make up for any inconveniences, especially if a bus trip is in order.
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad View Post
Thanks both for the helpful reply.

What happened is that the flight was operated firstly by LN-RKF that returned to CPH probably because of a mechanical issue and the flight departed again (this time by LN-RKP) about three hours after the original departure. It is suppose to land in ORD in less than three hours and suppose to take off on 23:40 (namely 1 hour and 35 minutes late). Will see about that....

Anyway, do I understand correctly that I do not need to clear security at CPH (only immigration)?

Right now there are seats on the later flight to HAM so hopefully I will not have to take the bus
To take an onward flight from CPH after coming in on ORD-CPH, you only have to clear passport control. That can take two minutes or it can take up to 45 minutes or so. Iíve seen it in that range repeatedly within the past twelve months, but itís mostly under 20 minutes for my ORD-CPH trips on SK when using an ordinary US passport.

The OPís SK flight left Chicago about 80 minutes after the originally scheduled flight time ó which is faster than I had expected given my own history on this route. There are usually good tail winds this time of the year, so they should be able to shave off some time from that 80 minute delay. Maybe if the CPH-HAM flight is delayed, the OP can get lucky and even make the originally scheduled CPH-HAM flight for the day.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 20, 18 at 10:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I almost did.... As we were landing they announced on board that the HAM passengers should proceed to the gate - we landed in the far end of C and the flight left the far end of B and although I run like crazy (and passport control was empty) I got to the gate one minute late It wasn't even 3pm (boarding was 2:45) but that's life. Went back (slowly this time ) to the lounge where I was put on a later flight that suppose to land in HAM 2:50 hours after the original arrival time. I wouldn't complain if we'll get there a bit later
Old Nov 21, 18, 10:57 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
And 2:50 hours means that no comp. is due for the delay under EU Reg. (you need at least 3 hours delay).
Old Nov 21, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBD (*G), BA Bronze, KLM Gold, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
FWIW, when there are no more flights available with seats to HAM from CPH, SK at times puts the misconnecting passengers on a bus to HAM.
Seriously?
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
And 2:50 hours means that no comp. is due for the delay under EU Reg. (you need at least 3 hours delay).
That's what I meant...

Anyway, got home safely 2:50 hours late on board Air Nostrum CRJ-1000
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by tgj1974 View Post
Seriously?
After all, this is SAS we’re talking about. Anyway, ~5 hours on a bus after a long-haul flight, surely with a sandwich and half litre of water kindly provided free-of-charge, it can’t be that bad, actually what a great opportunity for a good-old road trip

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Nov 22, 18 at 1:12 am Reason: spelling.
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I must say that this was my first trip ever with SAS (HAM-CPH-SFO-ORD-CPH-HAM) in SAS Plus and I found it decent+ (even my AVML was more than edible).
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:51 pm

It wasn't the first time LN-RKP had to 'rescue' LN-RKF. (avherald.com article ?article=4bd36431) Looks like it's repaired and LN-RKF just made it to SFO. Hopefully my mum's flight to CPH will be uneventful.
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by tgj1974 View Post
Seriously?
Seriously, yes. But that's been on the days when no more CPH-HAM flights were available for booking the late arriving passengers trying to make CPH-HAM by air. FWIW, I've seen other airlines do this sort of thing too, like when UA or AA would bus people on MSN-ORD/ORD-MSN and things such as that.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OriensFlight View Post
It wasn't the first time LN-RKP had to 'rescue' LN-RKF. (avherald.com article ?article=4bd36431) Looks like it's repaired and LN-RKF just made it to SFO. Hopefully my mum's flight to CPH will be uneventful.
LN-RKP has, BWT, the old W product, which was not nice (no AVOD, for example, so they handed out iPads).

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Seriously, yes. But that's been on the days when no more CPH-HAM flights were available for booking the late arriving passengers trying to make CPH-HAM by air. FWIW, I've seen other airlines do this sort of thing too, like when UA or AA would bus people on MSN-ORD/ORD-MSN and things such as that.
This also happens nowadays with TLV-HAM on ST (Germania) flights that arrive too late and have to divert to FMO and then bus the pax. This happened several times in recent months.

Search this Thread