Schedule change policy

Old Nov 14, 18, 8:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 128
Schedule change policy

I've looked through the forums but haven't found an answer. I've got a flight next year that has been rescheduled to an impossible connection (NCE-CPH-NRT return) with connecting flight now leaving much earlier than first leg's arrival.

I'd rather not take the refund as it was quite a good price, but equlally there is only one NCE-CPH flight per day. Does anyone know how likely SAS are to rebook me onto another star alliance carrier? Or will they just suggest get a refund?
eshroom is offline  
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:50 pm
  #2  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,564
I don't know how far off your flight is, but if there is still plenty of time I would wait a bit and see if SK comes up with a solution. If they don't I would call them, and ask them to find a solution. Yes, I would expect them to send you on another Star Alliance carrier.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 15, 18, 4:29 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Posts: 2,042
I have been usually helped at no cost in such situations (and more than once I used it to actually adapt the ticket better to my changing needs). But I have not been in a situation when a connection became impossible, and I was OK to move things by a day or so. If you have not been officially informed by SAS I would wait. When a reservation change comes, I would call to change it, if you don't like it. At least this is what I do for tickets booked directly with the airline.
SK2751 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:38 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,880
Even though there is no compensation under EC 261/2004, the passenger options remain. OP may take a refund, a rebooking around the time of the original flight, or at a lter date. All at OP's option. SK might honor a request to rebook on another carrier, but there is no requirement that it do so.

Before doing anything with SK, why not price the *A alternative. If it is cheaper, then cancel the SK ticket and purchase the new ticket and save.

The worst that can happen if you ask is that the answer is no and you then have a decision to make as to whether you take the refund or pay out the difference.
Often1 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 18, 8:05 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
Most likely SK will rebook NCE-CPH to LH, LX, SN or OS in order for you to make the SK flight to NRT.

SK will not suggest that only a refund is available.

Wait for SK to contact you.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Nov 15, 18, 10:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AMM
Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Airfrance Platinum, Royal Jordanian Gold
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Most likely SK will rebook NCE-CPH to LH, LX, SN or OS in order for you to make the SK flight to NRT.

SK will not suggest that only a refund is available.

Wait for SK to contact you.
I guess it depends on whether OP has all his flights in the same PNR or if NCE/CPH and CPH/NRT are in seperate bookings.
Hafnia is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:10 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
Sure but the information from the OP suggests that the 2 flights are on 1 ticket.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:29 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 128
Sorry, my initial post is a bit confusing. It is actually the CPH-NCE return flight that has been rescheduled.

NRT-CPH and CPH-NCE are both once daily flights. I imagine they will try and change me to a 2 stop itinerary changing at CPH to another *A carrier (as opposed to making me wait overnight at CPH). I will ask if they can simply put me on another *A carrier on the entire return leg, say NRT-ZRH-NCE - though won't hold my breath.
eshroom is offline  
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:40 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,880
Don't forget that you should also reprice a possible new ticket using another *A carrier (or even non-*A carrier so long as it interlines. If the price of the ticket has dropped, buy the new one and cancel the current ticket as you have a right to a full refund.
Often1 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:52 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 128
So I booked with airfinder.it. SAS won't touch the ticket and say I have to go through the OTA. OTA is uncontactable by phone and non-responsive on email. I guess the approx 140 euros I saved on two tickets (vs the price on the SAS website) is proving not to be worth the hassle.

Upside I suppose is if I cancel, the pound is weaker now than when I booked, so the refund will leave me a few pounds better off than when I booked. haha
eshroom is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:10 pm
  #11  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,564
SK is correct in that it your travel agent that should inform you and make sure to rebook you as needed.

An option if you have the leeway in your schedule is just wait it out and if nothing happens, have SK manage it on the day of departure They will get you to where you need to go.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:07 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
SK is correct in that it your travel agent that should inform you and make sure to rebook you as needed.

An option if you have the leeway in your schedule is just wait it out and if nothing happens, have SK manage it on the day of departure They will get you to where you need to go.
Thanks, I will do this.

The OTA (UVET Nordic) did get back to us and said if we aren't happy with the flights we have been given they can rebook us onto an itinerary that includes an overnight stay in CPH, which they claim SAS will reimburse hotel fees for. Only catch the OTA wants a customer service fee of 15 euros per passenger in order to issue the new tickets. I'm not paying them as I believe they have to make this kind of change for free regardless of their terms. So I will keep the issue and let SAS fix it on the day.
eshroom is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:17 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Posts: 2,042
Oh this is weird. A charge for IRROPS handling. Never happened to me. Another reason to stay away from OTAs.
SK2751 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:32 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
Oh this is weird. A charge for IRROPS handling. Never happened to me. Another reason to stay away from OTAs.
It would seem to me illegal to force customers to pay for IRROPS handling, regardless of what their terms say. I've told them I'm not paying, so well have to wait and see.
eshroom is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:54 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by eshroom View Post
It would seem to me illegal to force customers to pay for IRROPS handling, regardless of what their terms say. I've told them I'm not paying, so well have to wait and see.
Under Regulation 261/2004, SK is required to rebook you free of charge. I believe that it is SK's problem if a travel agency prevents you from doing so.

I'm not sure what happens if you board the flight at Narita as originally scheduled and then inform SK upon arrival to Kastrup that you've missed the flight to Nice and that you haven't been offered rebooking.
Some person is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread