FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Keeping Eurobonus points from expiring (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1939944-keeping-eurobonus-points-expiring.html)

DebitNM Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Keeping Eurobonus points from expiring

I have a decent amount of points that are expiring in Feb 2019. I have no travel plans before then.

I am trying to find some kind of activity that will keep points from expiring.
I tried to buy something from their online shop but the shipping was 19k points on an 1800 point purchase!

if my husband transfers some of his SAS points to me will that work?

I also have Amex MRs and Chase URs if that will help as s transfer.
Thanks.

CPH-Flyer Nov 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by DebitNM (Post 30416428)
I have a decent amount of points that are expiring in Feb 2019. I have no travel plans before then.

I am trying to find some kind of activity that will keep points from expiring.
I tried to buy something from their online shop but the shipping was 19k points on an 1800 point purchase!

if my husband transfers some of his SAS points to me will that work?

I also have Amex MRs and Chase URs if that will help as s transfer.
Thanks.

There is no way to extend EB validity by activities. On the more creative note, someone will suggest attaining Diamond status before Feb, so might as well put that in. While having Diamond and Pandion status points have no expiry, and are valid for 5 years after dropping to lower status again.

You don't need to travel before the points expire. Just book the tickets before. So you in reality have a year extra of potential travel plans. Just note that of you cancel a ticket after the point used have expired they are lost. Also note that some changes acts as a cancellation and rebooking, so consider the travel plans after point to expiry fairly set in stone.

Jainzar Nov 11, 2018 4:48 am

Originally Posted by DebitNM (Post 30416428)

If you find no use for them you can also donate them.

https://www.saseurobonusshop.com/#/category/donations

jerrythegreat12 Nov 14, 2018 8:12 pm

book a ticket with eb points, you will have the ticket for one year availability .

GinFizz Apr 8, 2019 1:49 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30416487)
There is no way to extend EB validity by activities. On the more creative note, someone will suggest attaining Diamond status before Feb, so might as well put that in.

Does any one have any knowledge regarding whether transferring points to someone with Diamond status would keep some EB alive? My wife has some points expiring soon that we could use for a trip later this year - but we would prefer to fund that trip using a different frequent flyer program.

CPH-Flyer Apr 8, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz (Post 30977110)
Does any one have any knowledge regarding whether transferring points to someone with Diamond status would keep some EB alive? My wife has some points expiring soon that we could use for a trip later this year - but we would prefer to fund that trip using a different frequent flyer program.

If you create a sharing account, only points coming from the Diamond member will be without expiry.

I don't know if the account transfer still exists, transfer without making a sharing account I can't find a reference to it on the website. It used to be prohibitively expensive though.

GinFizz Apr 8, 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30977251)
If you create a sharing account, only points coming from the Diamond member will be without expiry.

I don't know if the account transfer still exists, transfer without making a sharing account I can't find a reference to it on the website. It used to be prohibitively expensive though.

Thanks - I hadn't even considered that transfer of points might not be possible any longer (or the cost ...). Looking at the website it does seem that as least as a Gold member points transfer is still possible (from the [My Eurobonus] // [Manage My Eurobonus] // [Buy/Transfer points] menu options), though it is well hidden (and you have to follow a link that only says "Buy" (not "Buy/Transfer")).

I guess that this (i.e. transfer to a Diamond account) should work, given that I can't imagine SAS IT being sufficiently smart to keep track of the expiry date of a part of the points in the account - but with the added cost (85 Euro for 17000 points) I think I'll just go ahead and use the points for the flight later this year (maybe I'll transfer a token 5000 points though for 5 Euro to see what happens ...).

highupinthesky Apr 8, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz (Post 30977361)
Thanks - I hadn't even considered that transfer of points might not be possible any longer (or the cost ...). Looking at the website it does seem that as least as a Gold member points transfer is still possible (from the [My Eurobonus] // [Manage My Eurobonus] // [Buy/Transfer points] menu options), though it is well hidden (and you have to follow a link that only says "Buy" (not "Buy/Transfer")).

I guess that this (i.e. transfer to a Diamond account) should work, given that I can't imagine SAS IT being sufficiently smart to keep track of the expiry date of a part of the points in the account - but with the added cost (85 Euro for 17000 points) I think I'll just go ahead and use the points for the flight later this year (maybe I'll transfer a token 5000 points though for 5 Euro to see what happens ...).

When you transfer points to another account, the new account will own the points and therefore expiration rules for that account will apply. But be aware the earning date on the points transferred might be transferred too, so only transferring the point to an account with Diamond status will save the points. I'm not 100% sure what happens if you afterwords transfer points from the account with Diamond status to your other account. Previously they whould have 1 year validity, but I'm not sure this is still the case.

GinFizz Apr 8, 2019 5:45 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 30977417)
When you transfer points to another account, the new account will own the points and therefore expiration rules for that account will apply. But be aware the earning date on the points transferred might be transferred too, so only transferring the point to an account with Diamond status will save the points. I'm not 100% sure what happens if you afterwords transfer points from the account with Diamond status to your other account. Previously they whould have 1 year validity, but I'm not sure this is still the case.

Thanks - in my case I (or rather my wife ...) would be transferring points from my wife's account (Gold) to mine (Diamond), with the aim of spending them next year (before I drop back down to Gold ...) , so should be no problems there.