CPH-BEY to be discontinued?

Old Nov 10, 18, 8:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AMM
Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Airfrance Platinum, Royal Jordanian Gold
Posts: 215
CPH-BEY to be discontinued?

An agent from customer service told me that Copenhagen - Beirut will be discontinued , probably by end of the year. Does anyone have more information including the reason behind it? Lack of activity ? Competition from MEA?

They are rebooking pax with award tickets to LH (only).

Apparently there has been huge IT issues informing pax holding tickets on cancelled flights. I only realised that an award flight in January was cancelled because I discovered that the PNR had disappeared from my SAS app. And today I received the following e-mail:

“Hej,

Vigtig information for dig som skal ud og rejse med SAS.

Der har været en tidsplan forandring, som påvirker din rejse. Vi håber den nye tid passer dig, og beklager de ulemper, som dette må medføre for dig.

Du ser den nye rejse





Flight/Date
From - To
Departure
Arrival
SAS

SK 2828/12JAN19
Beirut (International) - København (Kastrup)
14:10
17:45
Hører vi ikke fra dig indenfor de næste 10 dage, anser vi, at du accepterer den nye rejserute, og det er din nye aftale med os.”


What they in fact were trying to say was that the flight is cancelled...

Hafnia is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond, BAEC Silver
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by Hafnia View Post
An agent from customer service told me that Copenhagen - Beirut will be discontinued , probably by end of the year. Does anyone have more information including the reason behind it? Lack of activity ? Competition from MEA?

They are rebooking pax with award tickets to LH (only).

Apparently there has been huge IT issues informing pax holding tickets on cancelled flights. I only realised that an award flight in January was cancelled because I discovered that the PNR had disappeared from my SAS app. And today I received the following e-mail:
They are still selling tickets for mid-March 2019 onwards, so my guess is that they will only run the route in the high season.

I was also a victim of the low season discontinuation, as I was supposed to fly SK to BEY in mid-Oct and my flights were cancelled with a measily 8 days notification. To make matters worse, SK flat out refused to rebook on anything else than LH in with restrictions on the booking class (S maximum). With less than a week to my flight, of course only more expensive booking classes were available with LH, so this policy meant a de facto refusal to rebook. I haven´t gotten around to it yet, but I surely plan to get SK to pay for EC261/2004 compensation.

Svantevit
Svantevit is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 4:57 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,845
I can't possibly imagine that route to be filling or profitable to being with and have never understood why SAS with all the missing key locations in their network would launch this over alternatives.
FlyingMoose is offline  
Old Nov 12, 18, 11:46 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AMM
Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Airfrance Platinum, Royal Jordanian Gold
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
I can't possibly imagine that route to be filling or profitable to being with and have never understood why SAS with all the missing key locations in their network would launch this over alternatives.
Last Tuesday I was upgraded on the direct MEA flight because eco was oversold. Both DY and RJ are operating direct flights AMM-CPH and in my experience, they have a been full. There is a large community in DK and SE with Palestinian/Lebanese background, both Beirut and Amman are ‘exotic’ destinations for Scandinavian tourists while very wealthy Lebanese and Jordanians find Scandinavia equally exotic But obviously, I can’t back this up with hard data.

I have wanted to use the direct BEY-CPH flight as feeder for SK flights to the US but that has never worked out.

Hafnia is offline  
Old Nov 14, 18, 3:05 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,282
Originally Posted by Hafnia View Post


Last Tuesday I was upgraded on the direct MEA flight because eco was oversold. Both DY and RJ are operating direct flights AMM-CPH and in my experience, they have a been full. There is a large community in DK and SE with Palestinian/Lebanese background, both Beirut and Amman are ‘exotic’ destinations for Scandinavian tourists while very wealthy Lebanese and Jordanians find Scandinavia equally exotic But obviously, I can’t back this up with hard data.

I have wanted to use the direct BEY-CPH flight as feeder for SK flights to the US but that has never worked out.

There are indeed substantial populations of Lebanese and Palestinian origin persons in Sweden and in Denmark. But a lot of the AMM traffic at least is for trip to other places than Jordan.

Denmark used to have way more Palestinians than Sweden, but I’m not sure about the numbers in more recent years. The Lebanese populations were about the same in Sweden as in Denmark, but I would expect that Lebanese origin persons is now higher in Sweden than in Denmark and the gap has been growing.

The flights to AMM and BEY seem to have mostly passengers who have at least some non-European ethnic background; but it’s more mixed than say the flights to Iraq out of the region.

The wealthier segments of the Lebanese and Jordanian populations seem to prefer flying to Paris or London over going to Copenhagen or Stockholm.
GUWonder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread