Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Chart have been changed over night to the worse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Award Chart have been changed over night to the worse

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:37 am

The online booking is online. Still doesn't show F and with very limited availability (hope the call center still can get the other connections showing up on UA.com) but at least confirms the fees have been lowered and you can even use the AMEX 2-4-1 voucher.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by criced
Im most curoius about why they dont start to offer PE-awards on *A. Many airlines got PE now
This is an alliance-wide issue, not an SK restriction. Unlike OW it's still not possible to book partner PEY awards with any *A program. First, they'd have to agree on a common PEY award bucket.

Originally Posted by fassy
The online booking is online. Still doesn't show F and with very limited availability (hope the call center still can get the other connections showing up on UA.com) but at least confirms the fees have been lowered and you can even use the AMEX 2-4-1 voucher.
Is it now impossible to spoon feed the agent individual segments? The website doesn't show long connections (e.g close to but under 24h) on perfectly logical routings, so it would be terrible if they can only take what the website displays.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
This coupled with the recent huge cut in earnings on many GO flights is a double sucker punch.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I get the point about reducing the YQ as a compensation, but considering the overall level of YQ on SK the hike is beyond reason.

Luckily I am realtively low on points, having just redeemed, and within striking distance of a requal as Gold. The requalification point being the time to jump ship, so I am covered with Gold status while running up the tally on A3.

Having to do a fair amount of European cities to and from Copenhagen, I'll still be a passenger just not a member any longer
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
SK awards are not changed.
I think this is actually not too bad, could even be a net positive.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If in the aggregate the YQ charge cap is a net positive for customers of the SK loyalty program, then I’m betting that SK will have already found or soon will find one way or another to get its pound of flesh from customers on or after Halloween. SK is hooked to devaluing the program as part of its corporate cost-cutting exercise, and marketing expenditures via loyalty programs aren’t seen by airlines as being as useful for airlines today as used to be the case. And so they feel it’s fine to make the program less costly for the airline and more costly for passengers.
I am not so sure that they have to search for budget elsewhere. This limits further the number of people who can get an award by shifting the threshold upwards (at the same time de-valuating earnings). If this makes things slightly cheaper for those that already have tons of miles, it might be what SK wants anyways. Since less awards will be sold, this is likely a net positive change already. Of course, assuming customers will not start to flee, which is always a risk.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I can see one positive, Star Alliance economy class redemptions are unchanged, and I assume YQ will also be gone here. So that is the positive I can potentially see.

However I have never redeemed an economy class ticket, and I don't plan to.

What other positives do you see?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I actually think that is pretty nice, yes. The big downside however is the booking fee, which will eat up most of your YQ savings. That has also increased the cost for US domestic awards (which apparently didn’t have YQ anyway). It was a smart move.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Did anyone else get a nice laugh from the generic SAS email sent today? Nothing better than SAS reminding us to travel with them as they systematically degrading Eurobonus😡.
Lower earnings...check
Increase award cost...check
Send email reminding customers how great we are...

Perhaps they need to rethink the order of these rollouts.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am betting that it won’t be too many years until we see multi-tier award pricing of some new (for SK) sort for SK’s own seats even in SK economy class/Go.

What motivation and unique set of circumstances does SK currently face that would drive SK to make a net positive change for SK loyalty program customers and the accumulated balances such customers already have? In an environment where the market is tending to get less generous with loyalty program customers in the main, why would SK deviate from the mean in such a way as to try to go in for a full-throttled net positive for SK loyalty program customers? If anything seems to be true about SK today, it is that it is not that adventurous today as it used to be with its operations, including with its loyalty program operations.

This kind of change may put increased demand for SK’s own seats and their limited award inventory, and that will set customers up for another devaluation of the SK loyalty program in one or more ways.

I actually think that is pretty nice, yes. The big downside however is the booking fee, which will eat up most of your YQ savings. That has also increased the cost for US domestic awards (which apparently didn’t have YQ anyway). It was a smart move.
What is a lucrative move for SK (at least in the short term) isn’t necessarily a lucrative move for SK loyalty program customers. Unfortunately, we are mostly talking about a zero-sum or negative-sum game environment being applicable to the airline loyalty program customers under current market conditions. So while it may be a short term smart move for SK, it can be a short term and even long term negative development in the main for most SK loyalty program customers.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 1, 2018 at 5:01 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
SAS is primarily a commuter airline with hardly any LH destinations. I guess this is hitting the most corporate travellers who redeem their points on other *A carriers.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Europe-Asia r/t in I class with Eurobonus: 165,000 EB points

Europe-Asia r/t in I class with TK M&S: 90,000 TK miles

Go figure...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:14 am

UA: 100k, LH: 135k, A3: 90k

SAS is really way out by now. And with the earnings reduced, sad times
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy
UA: 100k, LH: 135k, A3: 90k

SAS is really way out by now. And with the earnings reduced, sad times
It seems like SAS is doing whatever it can to kill off its loyalty program from having a solid mass market appeal. And loyalty programs aimed toward niche upmarket segments in the aviation sector tend to flop since a large and varied customer base is the best in order to spread the fixed and variable costs of the loyalty program while keeping the program attractive enough to enough customers without hitting the customers with obvious and unusually high opportunity costs of the sort that drive them away and further undermine the viability of the program.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What motivation and unique set of circumstances does SK currently face that would drive SK to make a net positive change for SK loyalty program customers and the accumulated balances such customers already have? In an environment where the market is tending to get less generous with loyalty program customers in the main, why would SK deviate from the mean in such a way as to try to go in for a full-throttled net positive for SK loyalty program customers?
I have no problem rationalizing the moves from SK side. The question is what we (the FFs of various kind) should do given that we understand this market situation? What is the best strategy for us? I was still unable to find a better tactics than sticking with SK. The continuous devaluations in all programs make it difficult to justify the switch (especially that I fly SK most, and good treatment of IRROPS and no nuisance efficient travel is what I value most; and I am not sure I can get that if I switched to have status with TK or A3). The only other thing I though of is to try to find a new job situation that can reduce my traveling significantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.