Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Premium Menus On Long Haul SAS Go Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-ordering Premium Menus On Long Haul SAS Go Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Post Pre-ordering Premium Menus On Long Haul SAS Go Flights

To many people’s concern, Airlines nowadays are looking at every possible to bring in more revenue, thus SAS has now introduced another “improved” service on their long haul intercontinental routes to US and Asia.

SAS now gives SAS Go travelers the chance to upgrade their dining experience by pre-ordering premium menus on long haul flights. Aiming to further enhance the personalisation of the airlines’ on-board experience, the initiative is also in line with the development of the next generation of traveling and a part of SAS’s environmental and sustainability work.

We believe true travelers wish to add that little extra element to their flying experience. Therefore, SAS now introduces the possibility to enhance the dining experience on board, also when traveling in SAS Go.

Starting from November 2018, SAS Go travelers on long haul flights can pre-order a premium menu to upgrade and enhance their dining experience.
This is a continuation of their already claimed-to-be “successful” implementation of pre-ordering on short-haul flights since 2016, they are asking passengers to pay for a practical amount for a much improved meal options when are seated in Go class cabin.

Starting from November, four options will be offered at the price starting from SEK 190 / NOK 190 /DKK 150 / EUR 19 / USD 23.

You may access their menu details as a PDF file here.Conclusion:

Well this is great news for many SAS travellers who has a bone to pick with their catering, since the price to pay here is very reasonable, I would not be surprised if this become very popular among SAS long-haul passengers.

However, there are certain drawbacks on ordering such service:
  • As pre-order premium meal is only allowed to be served in Go cabin, so if you choose to pre-order you long haul go class meal, you won’t be able to get courtesy upgrade or upgrade with points at the gate then.
  • As for SAS Plus premium economy cabin, you won’t be able to choose such service either, but you will have a 3 course meal included in your service class already here.
  • As titled “premium” catering, in practice, the meal would be a combination of Plus meal and Business meal, as the starters and desserts would be the same from Plus cabin offering, while the main course would be leaning towards business cabin offerings.
Practical Info:
  • The premium menu must be pre-ordered no later than 18 hours before departure on routes from Scandinavia and no later than 24 hours before departure on routes from the US and Asia.
  • From 29 October 2018 it will be possible to order these Premium Menus via the SAS website for flights from 5 November 2018.
  • Initially there will be only 6 of these Premium menus available per. flight, so you’ll have to be quick.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 15, 2019 at 5:05 pm Reason: Conform with rule 7
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
While I do see some advantage in this, I always worry that it is a step towards going full BOB.
royng, Konismarck and zeer0 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
While I do see some advantage in this, I always worry that it is a step towards going full BOB.
Agree. It's a bad trend - basically airlines admit that they are serving crap and if you want something less crappy you can pay for it.

The small princessatarta reminds me of the ones from IKEA.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:09 pm
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Looking forward to trying this program ! I hope they will add a BREAKFAST option for flights back to Scandinavia in the future.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by BCC
Looking forward to trying this program !
Well, you think what ever ends up on your tray table will look even remotely like the promo picture?
SK2751 and ermis177 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:38 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
The drink and the coffee should. It also says that 2 drinks of choice are included. Does that mean Beer and Wine? It doesn't say they aren't included.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BCC
The drink and the coffee should. It also says that 2 drinks of choice are included. Does that mean Beer and Wine? It doesn't say they aren't included.
Second picture clearly has beer in the glass. However, it does not say what the drinks included are. I would say at those prices it should be alcoholic beverages as an option.
BCC likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
That is totally hilarious, make the standard food so terrible that nobody eats it and then charge people for something edible. Or is it? The pictures look like a continuation of the same terrible Scandi food meal concept which by itself is the problem. Why can't I order a grilled cheese, burger or a steak or something normal?

I'm seeing a large amount of new lows for SAS, its great that I barely have to fly them these days.
Tennen likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
That is totally hilarious, make the standard food so terrible that nobody eats it and then charge people for something edible. Or is it? The pictures look like a continuation of the same terrible Scandi food meal concept which by itself is the problem. Why can't I order a grilled cheese, burger or a steak or something normal?

I'm seeing a large amount of new lows for SAS, its great that I barely have to fly them these days.
Fairly exact description of the concept. It must be rather high margin for SK, can't cost much to make these meals.

BA did it as well from a while back....
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fairly exact description of the concept. It must be rather high margin for SK, can't cost much to make these meals.

BA did it as well from a while back....
The cake is like 19 SEK in Ikea, and the tray of salad is like the crappy UA one with some special mushrooms in it. The juice is some kind of cheap Rynkeby juice that's not even that nice. How on earth can they charge 190 for this?

BA tried to justify the cost by telling everyone that it's M&S food.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
The cake is like 19 SEK in Ikea, and the tray of salad is like the crappy UA one with some special mushrooms in it. The juice is some kind of cheap Rynkeby juice that's not even that nice. How on earth can they charge 190 for this?

BA tried to justify the cost by telling everyone that it's M&S food.
Not meaning the BA short haul BOB, BA also has a gourmet meal option like this for long haul
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I haven’t flown SK Y long haul since 1993 as they’re garbage, but I seem to remember one of my big gripes being the lack of choice. Even in the mid-eighties, other airlines offered “beef or chicken”, while SK in 93 offered “beef with rice” followed by “beef with noodle”. At least they included drinks back then.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
We believe true travelers wish to add that little extra element to their flying experience. Therefore, SAS now introduces the possibility to enhance the dining experience on board, also when traveling in SAS Go.

Starting from November 2018, SAS Go travelers on long haul flights can pre-order a premium menu to upgrade and enhance their dining experience.
Uh... Why don't they start by actually offering a premium dining menu for SAS Plus, which is, you know, their Premium Economy cabin? The stupid (not to mention, very wasteful) boxes are bad enough on short-haul flights, but plating SAS Go food on china in long-haul Plus isn't exactly an "enhanced" dining experience, either. I'm all for improving the Economy Class experience, but premium cabins should still actually feel, well, premium.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tennen
Uh... Why don't they start by actually offering a premium dining menu for SAS Plus, which is, you know, their Premium Economy cabin? The stupid (not to mention, very wasteful) boxes are bad enough on short-haul flights, but plating SAS Go food on china in long-haul Plus isn't exactly an "enhanced" dining experience, either. I'm all for improving the Economy Class experience, but premium cabins should still actually feel, well, premium.
It is sad to say, but the current long haul Plus meals are quite an upgrade compared to Go Especially the second meal on the Asia routes. I think one of the options for the main course for the first meal is the same as Go, but the rest is a good deal better than Go. Not premium by far, but then again I have yet to see a premium economy meal long haul that was actually "premium dining"
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is sad to say, but the current long haul Plus meals are quite an upgrade compared to Go Especially the second meal on the Asia routes. I think one of the options for the main course for the first meal is the same as Go, but the rest is a good deal better than Go. Not premium by far, but then again I have yet to see a premium economy meal long haul that was actually "premium dining"
SK sees the premium menu as premium dining, I doubt that you'll see that they will follow other airlines like SQ "book the cook" to pre-select meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.