Upgrades Uphill

Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Angry Upgrades Uphill

FlyerTalk Gurus -

Any SAS traveler noticed that its become an uphill challenge to get any of the bids to work out of SFO? I used to be able to get Economy to Plus for approx $400, Business for $600. Cannot seem to get anything to work under $800 for Economy to Plus and $1200+ from Economy to Business - this on full fare Economy tickets.

And with the super cramped economy getting worse by the year, looks like their strategy to make bids successful harder is working. Bravo SAS you have a new revenue stream. How about up'ing the number of Plus seats and make your minimum bids more realistic?

Any thoughts from the gurus that bid for upgrades on SAS?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If your flight you booked is full then of course it's natural that the upgrade would cost more. If you are flexible in when to travel, you might have a look at the load in Plus of Business and find a flight that has a light load on those classes.

I don't think SK Y seats are getting worse by the year - Y is cramped if you compared to Plus/Business and have you tried the new UA 777 in Y, that's cramp even in E+.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by frequentflyr123
Any thoughts from the gurus that bid for upgrades on SAS?
When is your flight? If I remember right the minimum bid will be adjusted around 30 days before departure.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:48 am

And with the super cramped economy getting worse by the year, looks like their strategy to make bids successful harder is working. Bravo SAS you have a new revenue stream. How about up'ing the number of Plus seats and make your minimum bids more realistic?
How about buying a ticket in Plus?

The intention with upgrades is to fill empty seats with good revenue, not to make it so attractive that people stop buying Plus and Business.
SKT-DK, highupinthesky and SK2751 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:17 am
Original Poster

It appears that the more empty the flight - the higher SAS wants you to bid. The bid I made for a PLUS seat was rejected because PLUS was nearly empty - so SAS wanted a minimum offer of $500 to upgrade from an Economy seat vs. $300 they would accept when the PLUS cabin is nearly full. It's all about keeping the "brand".
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Of course, one can always buy a ticket in PLUS or Business. But not all companies are that willing to love their employees.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have previously received SMS from SAS offering upgrade from CPH-IAD (somehow only this direction) slightly before OLCI opened. One way offer was around 1000DKK (from Y to Plus) and you'll only get miles from the original booking class. The condition is that you can't have special meals booked.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:21 am

1000 DKK Eco- to Eco+ is not a bad deal. I would pay 1000 DKK just for the better seat, ignore the crappy food and booze up for free (which I do as Diamond anyway... )
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Jainzar
When is your flight? If I remember right the minimum bid will be adjusted around 30 days before departure.
As far as I know the minimum bid is the same in SEK for all flights on a route. The other currencies are adjusted daily based changes in exchange rates. At least this is how it works on CPH-ARN.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:31 am

It appears that the more empty the flight - the higher SAS wants you to bid. The bid I made for a PLUS seat was rejected because PLUS was nearly empty - so SAS wanted a minimum offer of $500 to upgrade from an Economy seat vs. $300 they would accept when the PLUS cabin is nearly full. It's all about keeping the "brand".
Have you any proof that they would have accepted your $500 bid?
Secondly do you have any proof that the empty plus seats wasn't filled when the bidding closed 36 hours prior to departure? I've seen a couple of times that a flight have been fully booked in PLUS and Business 48 hours prior to departure, but at boarding some seats was empty and sold as upgrades at the gate.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I have previously received SMS from SAS offering upgrade from CPH-IAD (somehow only this direction) slightly before OLCI opened. One way offer was around 1000DKK (from Y to Plus) and you'll only get miles from the original booking class. The condition is that you can't have special meals booked.
I haven't see this offer since they started the plus grade bidding model.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
As far as I know the minimum bid is the same in SEK for all flights on a route. The other currencies are adjusted daily based changes in exchange rates. At least this is how it works on CPH-ARN.
I talk about an adjustment based on (likely) the expected load. The minimum bid can then be adjusted e.g. from 400$ to 200$.

Q: WHEN CAN I MAKE AN OFFER?

You can submit an upgrade offer from the time you book your ticket up to 48 hours before departure. For flights outside to US & Asia it is best to check the bidding page when you have less than 30 days to departure to be able to bid for the most accurate price.
https://www.flysas.com/content/dam/s...ade-faq-en.pdf

The exchange rate is most important for internal procedures to be able to compare offers made in different currencies.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
1000 DKK Eco- to Eco+ is not a bad deal. I would pay 1000 DKK just for the better seat, ignore the crappy food and booze up for free (which I do as Diamond anyway... )
We had row 30 already so I was happy with my seat, honestly Eco to Plus doesn't make a huge impact on my flight especially for a 6 hours TATL. It's nice but I'd rather save up that 1000DKKx4 for another trip. This is what Mr. say - you can choose to fly expensive but get to go fewer times or you can choose to fly cheap but more often - me and the kids decided the latter option as we all want to fly away as much as we can.

I don't know about the SMS upgrade thing now, maybe things have changed - the only times that I got that was flights to IAD, not PVG/PEK.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by nacho

Which is more accurate?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Which is more accurate?
I think they refer to two different upgrade processes. One for the Plusgrade, another for the last minute SMS upgrades. So nothing wrong with both being accurate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.