SAS Plus (business?) intra-European

Old Oct 12, 18, 6:00 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Posts: 12,092
SAS Plus (business?) intra-European

a friend and I have booked flights US-FRA-ARN. Vacation.

FRA-ARN served by SAS on A320. That flight, according to the itinerary, is booked in booking class Z and named SAS Plus.

From what I can read, SAS Plus (intra-European business class) only benefit seems to be seating near the front of the aircraft. Is that correct?

I'm booked into 3A and my friend 3B. Otherwise, this flight in June appears to be almost empty. Does SAS not keep at least the center seat vacant, like LH on their intra-European flights!
kevinsac is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 7:29 pm
  #2  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
a friend and I have booked flights US-FRA-ARN. Vacation.

FRA-ARN served by SAS on A320. That flight, according to the itinerary, is booked in booking class Z and named SAS Plus.

From what I can read, SAS Plus (intra-European business class) only benefit seems to be seating near the front of the aircraft. Is that correct?

I'm booked into 3A and my friend 3B. Otherwise, this flight in June appears to be almost empty. Does SAS not keep at least the center seat vacant, like LH on their intra-European flights!
From an operational perspective, it is a premium economy product. You do get a snack and full bar service, whereas the economy passengers has buy on board.

SK will not actively keep the middle seat free, but if you are already two in a row, and it is generally wide open, people are probably not going to select the last seat.

June next year is far off. By then the cabin is likely to be fairly full .
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,845
SAS Plus is an economy product with free beverage service and a ...... inedible meal. The fact they label it Premium Economy is far from what you'd expect from such a product.

Nevertheless, CPH-Flyer nailed the answers. Expect the middle seat on routes such as ARN-FRA and ARN-LHR to be taken, especially in June as SAS will just fill the planes.
GUWonder likes this.
FlyingMoose is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:26 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Posts: 12,092
Thanks, appreciate the disappointing responses. If I had known it was premium economy, I would have booked on the Lufthansa flight and at least had an empty middle seat. I will move my friend to 3C and cross fingers that maybe, just maybe, the seat will be empty.

Yes I know I was asking many months in advance, but was hoping for a mixup on their part.
kevinsac is offline  
Old Oct 13, 18, 12:49 am
  #5  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,604
A point to remember, apart from the meal served, you can request anything from the economy class buy on board menu for free.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:06 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Posts: 12,092
Thanks
kevinsac is offline  
Old Oct 14, 18, 8:37 am
  #7  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: BOM/DEL/LHR
Programs: SK*D
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
A point to remember, apart from the meal served, you can request anything from the economy class buy on board menu for free.
This is actually important because on shorthaul Plus the crew seem to simply hand out the box meals and absolutely do not tell you about the option of ordering from the menu. I flew SK a lot a few years ago before the box meal concept was launched and then started flying them again since this year and was surprised to see no mention by the crew of being able to order from the menu.
RanChin is offline  
Old Oct 14, 18, 10:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 4,756
Originally Posted by RanChin View Post
This is actually important because on shorthaul Plus the crew seem to simply hand out the box meals and absolutely do not tell you about the option of ordering from the menu.
Hmm, usually I'm not known for defending the regular miserable service on SK flights... but the last few months I was always offered to freely pick from the cart when i rejected the cube an polar roll.
East_and_West likes this.
fassy is online now  
Old Oct 16, 18, 3:11 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN, ATH
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Hmm, usually I'm not known for defending the regular miserable service on SK flights... but the last few months I was always offered to freely pick from the cart when i rejected the cube an polar roll.
Exactly my experience. I usually order freely from the menu the item appearing to be (more) edible.
East_and_West is online now  
Old Oct 18, 18, 8:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ARN
Posts: 327
Another (good) thing with SAS Plus intra-Europe is that you get free access to Star Alliance lounges regardless of which status you otherwise have with Star Alliance, i.e. at FRA you can enter the Lufthansa Business lounge with a boarding pass for a flight with SAS in Plus.
SK989 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 8:40 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by SK989 View Post
Another (good) thing with SAS Plus intra-Europe is that you get free access to Star Alliance lounges regardless of which status you otherwise have with Star Alliance, i.e. at FRA you can enter the Lufthansa Business lounge with a boarding pass for a flight with SAS in Plus.
I wouldn't necessarily class it as a good thing given that all non-low-cost carriers offer lounge access to business class passengers (and while SAS calls it Plus, it is, by nearly all means e.g. price, a business class product), it is rather something you'd expect from a legacy airline; one instead could argue that Plus passengers have no access to most lounges in Europe, apart from, as you say, hub/Star Alliance [lounges]. The real good thing is probably the fact that you are still able to access lounges/fast tracks etc. when flying other Star Alliance carriers holding a SAS Gold/Diamond card, but that's an entirely different matter and indeed OT for this particular topic.

G
AlicorporateUK is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 6:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SFO/SJC/OAK
Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
Posts: 1,080
Originally Posted by SK989 View Post
Another (good) thing with SAS Plus intra-Europe is that you get free access to Star Alliance lounges regardless of which status you otherwise have with Star Alliance, i.e. at FRA you can enter the Lufthansa Business lounge with a boarding pass for a flight with SAS in Plus.
Except when the airport doesn't have a *A lounge. SAS is so cheap that both Plus customers and *G/EuroBonus elites get no lounge access if the airport only has contract lounges. SAS should be ashamed of its cheapness on this issue. I can't think of another European airline with this policy.
East_and_West and sph77 like this.
zeer0 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN, ATH
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK View Post
{...}and while SAS calls it Plus, it is, by nearly all means e.g. price, a business class product {...}
Considering on-board service, SAS Plus is hardly in any aspect (apart of course from price) comparable with any intra-European business class product. On the other hand it is on a par with A3's and TK's Y product. Even when it comes to airport services, apart from the lounges issue mentioned by @zeer0 in airports without *A lounge (which includes many nontrivial airports in Spain, Italy, France, and Russia among others), in most airports in Scandinavia priority baggage handling is a literally a joke. As a *G/EBS I see no benefit from flying SAS Plus, especially domestically in Sweden, apart perhaps from increased mileage accrual...
zeer0 likes this.
East_and_West is online now  
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:49 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
which includes many nontrivial airports in Spain, Italy, France, and Russia among others
[Re: lounges] At least those are mostly seasonal services (e.g. Italy/Spain), but removing lounge access at airports like Gdańsk (and many others, needless to say), with several daily flights (CPH) mostly aimed at the business segment, was possibly the main reason pushing me away from flying SAS altogether.

G
East_and_West and zeer0 like this.
AlicorporateUK is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 6:08 pm
  #15  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,604
The one thing I really do appreciate with Plus on the European routes, is the price for full flexibilities. Compared to other airlines it is usually a lot cheaper to get a fully flexible ticket. And the flexibility is absolutely no nonsense. I have cancelled the fist leg on a ticket, but kept the rest in place without any problems. Only slightly annoying part, from second change of a flight, you will always have to call.
CPH-Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread