Goodbye SAS Diners

Old Oct 7, 18, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Goodbye SAS Diners

Diners Club are terminating all activities in Denmark, Diners Club/SEB Kort AB writes in a letter. So my SAS Diners will be gone by the end of May 2019.

The same for other Nordic countries?

Anybody who has an idea of the business reasons behind?

Will miss to have an extra card (AMEX isnít available either to private customers in Denmark), but havenít used it much since the Eurobonus earning went down and the MC Premium earning went up.

But it was ok to spend so much, that I had a handful of back up lounge visits.

Greatest miss will be Club Care, which has been a good and cheap travel insurance.
Old Oct 7, 18, 5:52 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
It is discussed for almost 3 weeks in the AY forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30220564-post367.html.
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
It is discussed for almost 3 weeks in the AY forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30220564-post367.html.
Thanks. Never look at the AY-forum.
Old Oct 10, 18, 4:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Strangely enough, Diners is alive in the UK and just launched a card for LH M&M.
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:07 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Strangely enough, Diners is alive in the UK and just launched a card for LH M&M.
Maybe they need to offer a system like AX offers with the ICC 😁
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:16 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Why does Denmark still not have AMEX for consumers? What's driving the somewhat hilarious lack of development in that area. I had my first AMEX in Europe decades ago and we're almost in 2019.
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:10 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Why does Denmark still not have AMEX for consumers? What's driving the somewhat hilarious lack of development in that area. I had my first AMEX in Europe decades ago and we're almost in 2019.
Back when the merchant fee for accepting a credit card was not regulated, AMEX was significantly more expensive to accept as payment than other credit cards. Thus many businesses did not include AMEX in the cards they accepted. Danske Bank tried to reignite AMEX at a point but never got it of the ground. With government regulations on the level of fees kicking in, it is now more widely accepted, but the card has yet to be broadly issued by anyone.

Competitive landscape basically keeping AMEX out.
Old Oct 20, 18, 3:21 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
But AMEX is the better choice for the customer, do they not care? Why is the merchant setting the rules?
Old Oct 20, 18, 3:37 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
But AMEX is the better choice for the customer, do they not care? Why is the merchant setting the rules?
The merchant cares what it costs them to accept payment via the card, and historically AMEX was far more expensive than the rest. With Diners a number two in merchant costs.

They don't set the rules, they just decide what they want to or don't want to accept
Old Oct 20, 18, 4:34 am

Programs: British Airways
As far as I remember, the EU rules do not regulate fees for accepting pure third party cards, i.e. Amex branded Amex cards issued directly to consumers. The rules will however apply to a SAS branded Amex. But if you accept one Amex you need to accept them all.
Old Oct 20, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler View Post
As far as I remember, the EU rules do not regulate fees for accepting pure third party cards, i.e. Amex branded Amex cards issued directly to consumers. The rules will however apply to a SAS branded Amex. But if you accept one Amex you need to accept them all.
Wasn't the cap on the interchange fee? And isn't it so that due to their structure Amex and Diners are less affected by that?

Last edited by Jainzar; Oct 20, 18 at 6:57 am
Old Oct 20, 18, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The merchant cares what it costs them to accept payment via the card, and historically AMEX was far more expensive than the rest. With Diners a number two in merchant costs.

They don't set the rules, they just decide what they want to or don't want to accept
And the consumer decides where they shop. Sounds like a lack of vote with your wallet attitude.
Old Oct 20, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
And the consumer decides where they shop. Sounds like a lack of vote with your wallet attitude.
Competition only works like that if there is sufficient penetration by competitors. If AMEX is almost not affected, I will certainly not loose my time on using it, if I can just use another card in the shop downstairs. I am not THAT addicted to FFP programs.
Old Oct 20, 18, 5:41 pm

Or people did vote with their vallet, and Amex lost? They failed to build the traction in the market, Danke Bank and Amex did try at a point, but it did not get off the ground.
​​​​​​
SK2751 likes this.

Search this Thread