Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner
"E" class can both be Go Light and Go. So it either gives 100 or 1000. If the ticket was (very) expensive, if would guess that it gives 1000
No unfortunately it doesn't work this way. You can have an expensive E class fare that is still SAS Go Light - you need to select between Go Light and Go Smart when the booking is made, even for the very expensive (economy) fares. For the return flight (ticketed and operated by SK) no checked luggage is allowed and I'm therefore very sure that this is Go Light fare (despite the return flight costing > EUR 450). For the outbound it must be Go Smart as I see that 1 psc of checked luggage is allowed and as apparently SK can't offer Go Light fares for SK (codeshare) flights operated by e.g. LH - i.e. there was no way the TA could book a Go Light fare for my outbound flight operated by LH.

Last edited by SK AAR; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So the SAS app finally just added the ability to enter in all Star Alliance partner airline frequent flyer numbers? So SAS goes for a devaluation in EuroBonus earnings while encouraging earnings in partner Star Alliance programs despite SAS having to pay up for the miles credited to partner airline programs?
Likely due to the fact that Eurobonus member stopped booked cheap SAS fares. I have transferred at least 80% of my travel to other *A members and rarely consider SAS any more, unless necessary. As it turns out, I will likely qualify for EBD for the first time.

With that being said, my kids (A3 Gold) have made use of quite a few cheap youth fares and will re-qualify by only flying SAS. It would be interesting see how SAS benefits from this. In our case, they are losing my business travel but gaining a few youth fares...which likely is not a good deal for them. Curious to see if they see an increase sales with flyers traditionally using other *A airlines.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by livious
Likely due to the fact that Eurobonus member stopped booked cheap SAS fares. I have transferred at least 80% of my travel to other *A members and rarely consider SAS any more, unless necessary. As it turns out, I will likely qualify for EBD for the first time.

With that being said, my kids (A3 Gold) have made use of quite a few cheap youth fares and will re-qualify by only flying SAS. It would be interesting see how SAS benefits from this. In our case, they are losing my business travel but gaining a few youth fares...which likely is not a good deal for them. Curious to see if they see an increase sales with flyers traditionally using other *A airlines.
Isn't this typical? I have TK G and I don't fly TK to re-qualify as they give very little to discounted Y fare, SQ and TG are known to be super stingy in crediting their miles to their own FFP. I put my SK miles to UA since I haven't started the re-qualification run yet.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Funny, we have mimic'ed each others practices to the 'T'.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by livious

If you look at the statistics you look to be a minority. I'm basing this on the fact that SK over the last 6 months has reported more or less continues growing load % and this at a time where they are increasing the number of seats put up for sale.
And honestly. The booking classes where the earnings were lowered was the very cheap once you can only get if you purchase your ticket at least 14 days in advance, and for most routes you need to purchase your ticket at least a month in advance. I don't know many business traveler with a frequent travel to ever changing destinations planning this far out.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
The booking classes where the earnings were lowered was the very cheap once you can only get if you purchase your ticket at least 14 days in advance, and for most routes you need to purchase your ticket at least a month in advance.
That isn’t what I’ve been seeing, as someone who sees tickets that are mostly booked less than 14-30 days in advance. Earnings have been reduced even on tickets with less than 14 days advance purchase.

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I don't know many business traveler with a frequent travel to ever changing destinations planning this far out.
I know lots of business travelers (EBDs included) whose frequent travel to different destinations involve planning more than 14-30 days in advance.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I plan 70% of my travel with 5-6 weeks lead time at least. Low earnings there don't bother me particularly much. Like GUWonder mentions I am annoyed really that I get low earning from EB (and this happens in any program) on late bought expensive tickets. Just spent 700 EUR on a short haul rotation in Y- which will earn me 400 points approximately. This is I think is a bad design. If they want me to spend more on tickets they should reward me when I do this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know lots of business travelers (EBDs included) whose frequent travel to different destinations involve planning more than 14-30 days in advance.
Our company policy is 21 days, unless a unplanned emergency. We do have colleagues that travel on 1 days notice, so for sure there are both situations...although they are generally flying C class on principle as they need to hit the ground running. As for my part of the business, we book far enough out and usually end up with low earning fares. Fortunately I have enough flexibility to book almost any airline, which is why I have jumped on *A partner fares that earn more miles.

I am not sure if I am in a minority or not, but it would be interesting to know if this is the case. I imagine that SAS's strategy must work for them, even if it has not made sense in my case.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would say 2/3 of my business trips are finalised within a week of flying, I may have booked and issued well in advance, but usually one or both directions are changed on short notice for dates or extra destinations. For obvious reasons, I never book anything with a significant cancellation or rebooking penalty.

And with work as it is, I actually don't book private trips without a reasonable option to change, or so cheap that I feel no pain in discarding. Luckily, the Japan market always seem to have 20K to 40K yen cancellation fees, so it is manageable on most fares. And the company do get stuck with these in most cases....
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Transaero Gold,Air Madagascar Platinium
Hej, I have a question about credit after Dec 1st.

When I read information online there are two categories:
1. Booked before Oct 1st
2. Booked after Oct 1st ;travel after Dec 1st

How about Booked before Oct 1st but travelled after Dec 1st.

does the two categories means, only if booked before Oct 1st and travelled before Dec 1st will get previous credit?

all the book after Oct 1st and travel after Dec 1st will get new credit?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by sinbac
How about Booked before Oct 1st but travelled after Dec 1st.
Booked before Oct 1st will qualify for the old credit, regardless when the trip is.

does the two categories means, only if booked before Oct 1st and travelled before Dec 1st will get previous credit?
No, as above. The second option would apply for trips booked in October 1st to end of November 30th with having traveling before November 30th. They would get the old credit as well.

all the book after Oct 1st and travel after Dec 1st will get new credit?
Yes
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Booked before Oct 1st will qualify for the old credit, regardless when the trip is.

No, as above. The second option would apply for trips booked in October 1st to end of November 30th with having traveling before November 30th. They would get the old credit as well.

Yes
i booked airfare last April and travelled today, T class from HKG to CPH. It shows 300miles credited into my account today....
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Yes
I don't think how many miles you get dependent on when you book, unless SK promised that they will honour the old mileage earning by manually adding it after a flight.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:15 pm

Yes
Originally Posted by nacho
I don't think how many miles you get dependent on when you book, unless SK promised that they will honour the old mileage earning by manually adding it after a flight.
If it has no relationship with booking date, SK can simplify definition by categoring travel before Dec 1st and after that date......
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
i booked airfare last April and travelled today, T class from HKG to CPH. It shows 300miles credited into my account today....
That is normal, but should be corrected within one or two weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.