Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Well, the price is similar (and often lower) on BA and would often give 250 Avios for the same price as SAS, so I found it pretty similar. It would not be fair to factor in how easy it is to earn Avios in the UK versus EuroBonus points in Scandinavia, as the frequent flyer culture is just much bigger in the UK. But as I said, I have no option but to fly SAS or Swiss. Luckily I can book the youth tickets which puts me on SAS most of the time, but the youth tickets cost the same as adult tickets did with BA (and often more than BA). The 500 points earned on those tickets before therefore made the offer similar to that of BA, but will now offer just 1/5 of that.

The credit card is not as generous either for that matter. Earning rate and sign-up bonus is similar (at least for the Danish cards) but 8.000 Avios is required on BA versus 30.000 points on SAS.
A cheaper way is either you move to ZRH or your girlfriend moves to Denmark. If she can't stand Copenhagen (apparently some foreigners feel that way which I don't understand) then you can move both to the Swedish side of the bridge.

A bit OT but Mr and I went through this long distance relationship (DK-UK) for about 2 years or so (we were both students and I needed to finish my studies before moving in with him), and it was at the time before smart phone and wifi internet(late 90s). We saw each other every 6 weeks thanks to the long and frequent school holiday at British universities and the rest of the time will be writing letter and long distance call maybe once a month.

Last edited by nacho; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by ch.boed
If you book GO and not GO LIGHT on the youth tickets, you'll still (for some reason) get 500 points at it's V class.
Which is essentially purchasing 400 Eurobonus points for 120 DKK as I always travel HBO. That's more expensive than purchasing the points directly from SAS at 200 DKK (or SEK/NOK if possible?) for 1.000 points. Status is a different topic, but is not relevant to me as EBS is easy to reach with 10 flights/EBG with 45 flights no matter the basic points obtained. Even my domestic youth flights gives 250 points each way at 270 DKK (average, 539 DKK return).

BA often offers flights from around 80-100 GBP/675-840 DKK return with 250-500 Avios (3-6 % required for a return trip) with no youth discount, whilst SAS charges 116 GBP/980 DKK return with 200 Eurobonus Points (0,6 % required for a return trip) with youth discount, both flights being 1 hours and 45 minutes and same type of aircraft. That's quite a difference and makes it very unattractive IMO. I would not be loyal to an airline at those earning rates, but would go for the cheapest option. Unfortunately, I have no choice in this case.

At 500 Eurobonus points those earning rates were similar to BA, but now it makes absolutely no sense. I'd rather go back to BAEC and collect miles for upgrades on my leisure travel then, especially as premium economy fares to the US west coast can often be had for less than 6.000 DKK return and be upgraded to Business with often good availability.

Originally Posted by nacho
A cheaper way is either you move to ZRH or your girlfriend moves to Denmark. If she can't stand Copenhagen (apparently some foreigners feel that way which I don't understand) then you can move both to the Swedish side of the bridge.

A bit OT but Mr and I went through this for about 2 years or so, and it was before smart phone and internet.
Quite OT indeed, but that is the plan in a few years - Zürich or London. She doesn't speak Danish, and it isn't the easiest language to learn. Not going to move out because of SAS' continuous devaluations though.

I suspect the 2 years is a typo as I recall most countries having smartphones and internet 2 years ago
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by nacho
A cheaper way is either you move to ZRH or your girlfriend moves to Denmark
[OT tongue-in-cheek] At that point the relationship will likely collapse due to lack of excitement (for jumping on a plane every weekend, needless to say ) and indeed shortage of points [/OT]

G
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:52 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I suspect the 2 years is a typo as I recall most countries having smartphones and internet 2 years ago
I think the duration was two years.

Also: You‘d be surprised...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I think the duration was two years.
I'm sure you are right. Read that a bit too quickly and got "2 years ago" rather than "2 years or so".
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I find the devaluation pretty horrible. I’ve just moved back to Denmark and with a girlfriend in Zurich I’m bound to be flying SAS or Swiss. When I lived in London and flew BA, I would earn at least 125 miles and often 250 each way with 8.000 required for a return trip. I would therefore have to fly between 16 and 32 return trips to get a free return trip.

With this new devaluation, a trip or similar length will now give me 100 SAS miles each way with 30.000 required for a return. I will therefore need to do 150 return trips to get a free return trip. Before the devaluation this number was 30, I.e. similar to what BA offers. I do not fly for work and the network provided by BA for my leisure travel (besides Switzerland) will most likely see me cancel my SAS mastercard again and go back to BA, as it will take way too long to get enough points for a return trip with SAS.
My suggestion after these changes is to fly the cheapest carrier possible without regard to loyalty program for intra-Europe. Then buy — directly or indirectly — points in some other airline programs for redemption inventory access. For lounge access, Amex has the Platinum card, and that can even be a de facto monthly lounge access fee if you want it to be or something akin to a c $550-1000 annual fee for lounge access.

CPH-ZRH is 8k UA miles each way. So if you are a planner and can stick to a plan, buying your way into a stash of UA miles can make the travel way cheaper than buying regular fares for this route.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:22 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

My suggestion after these changes is to fly the cheapest carrier possible without regard to loyalty program for intra-Europe. Then buy — directly or indirectly — points in some other airline programs for redemption inventory access. For lounge access, Amex has the Platinum card, and that can even be a de facto monthly lounge access fee if you want it to be or something akin to a c $550-1000 annual fee for lounge access.
Exactly my point above. Eurobonus is supposed to make people loyal to SAS, but when the earnings are so low that it actually does not matter, people will vote with their money. The 200 Eurobonus points earned on a return trip would have a value of approx. 6,5 DKK when spent on a return redemption to ZRH. Factor in the taxes and give the need for redemption availability a value and that number drops even further. As stated I have no choice in this regard, but if DY or U2 started operating that route I wouldn't be on a SAS flight anytime soon. Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen.

I don't think the devaluation will hurt SAS much though. I assume people flying on cheap economy tickets probably do not care that much about frequent flyer programs, but the (few) who cares and are not EBG will presumably no longer have a preference for SAS on longhaul flights when earnings are 350 points or whatever, whilst Norwegian beats them on price and provide newer and nicer aircraft, and an even better frequent flyer programme. For travelers in Plus or Business it makes no difference anyways, which is where SAS makes their money. People who care about frequent flyer programmes and fly on the cheapest longhaul economy tickets will probably be a small group and it won't make any noticable difference if they fly DY instead.

On a side note, Amex is not available in Denmark so that's not an option, but I try to spend as little time as possible in the airport anyway (unless I'm in J or F).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Exactly my point above. Eurobonus is supposed to make people loyal to SAS, but when the earnings are so low that it actually does not matter, people will vote with their money. The 200 Eurobonus points earned on a return trip would have a value of approx. 6,5 DKK when spent on a return redemption to ZRH. Factor in the taxes and give the need for redemption availability a value and that number drops even further. As stated I have no choice in this regard, but if DY or U2 started operating that route I wouldn't be on a SAS flight anytime soon. Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen.

I don't think the devaluation will hurt SAS much though. I assume people flying on cheap economy tickets probably do not care that much about frequent flyer programs, but the (few) who cares and are not EBG will presumably no longer have a preference for SAS on longhaul flights when earnings are 350 points or whatever, whilst Norwegian beats them on price and provide newer and nicer aircraft, and an even better frequent flyer programme. For travelers in Plus or Business it makes no difference anyways, which is where SAS makes their money. People who care about frequent flyer programmes and fly on the cheapest longhaul economy tickets will probably be a small group and it won't make any noticable difference if they fly DY instead.

On a side note, Amex is not available in Denmark so that's not an option, but I try to spend as little time as possible in the airport anyway (unless I'm in J or F).
If you find an American friend with an Amex Platinum, then for $175 per year they may be willing to add you as an additional card user on the account and that comes with unlimited Priority Pass lounge access for yourself and two guests. The primary Amex account holder can limit the spending limit on additional user cards. With a US Amex Plat, I have done this for some of my Scandinavian relatives and friends but for no cost of course. I consider it a $175 (or actually fraction of that) gift.

I think legacy airlines under appreciate the value of customers who fly the cheaper fares and fill the back of the flying bus. It’s the relatively cheap fare passengers and demand for the back of the flying bus that made EK so big. But in a more competitive environment, otherwise commoditized service providers would need some kind of differentiation in order to have more pricing power — something a higher cost supplier needs to do more than a lower cost service supplier.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 25, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Quite OT indeed, but that is the plan in a few years - Zürich or London. She doesn't speak Danish, and it isn't the easiest language to learn. Not going to move out because of SAS' continuous devaluations though.
Danish is fast to learn if you are native German speaker - I had tons of German speaking classmates (German, Swiss and Austrian) who had very little trouble with the insane DP2 exam a long time ago (the one that gymnasium students couldn't even pass - it was about 15 years ago). You don't even need to speak Danish if you are working in larger companies (e.g. some large pharmaceutical companies). German grammar is difficult and it's a lot more complicated than Dansk, Svensk and Norsk - it was fun to see my German speaking classmates discussing how to phrase a sentence (someone needed to send a greeting card and they were talking about how to phrase it in a grammatically correct way) - I learned some German through Danish as a lot of words are similar and the number system is the same (units before the tens).

Back to the topic:
There are other options than SK/LX if you don't need to fly direct - I know it's a waste of time but if there's a FFP out there that counts legs to qualify it might be a nice option.

Sweden has SK AMEX but I don't think it's worth having one with your travel pattern. I totally agree with GUWonder - take the cheapest option and forget about the miles, and save up the rest of the $ for your house down payment later. The trend of FFPs nowadays is not base on how much you have flown but how much you spent to fly and SK is trying to achieve the same result by earning devaluation - SQ has done that 20+ years ago with their cheap Y fare.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by SK2751
I think I easily generate this, but it is not clear that I will make EBG under the new rules (I will probably push for EBD this year, and this gives me an extra year to sort this mess out)
I did the first back of the envelope calculations:

- The idea of dropping loyalty and flying whatever gives Y+, fast track, and lounge on my connections is very appealing. It will also give me better schedule flexibility covering various departure hours. Priority pass could cover lounge on carriers that do not include it in Y+. The 400 EUR/yr pass is very good value for my travel pattern. For the price of 1-2 SK rotations in PLUS I get a lounge access for what I need. Yes, these lounges are simpler, but give me what I need from the lounge (place to sit and work, coffee, and snacks - I don't go to lounges to stock up; less food is healthier and less disturbing). The fast track access is unfortunately a culprit. It seems impossible to pay your way to CPH Express, and some of the other airports I frequent this is way to expensive (slightly higher yearly fee than PP, for half the uses of PP, as I can only use such program on one end of the trip). To this I add the relatively low prices of SK PLUS on my routes - buying a few weeks in advance, they are comparable to Y- on competition.

MM the other alternative, without going program free, is hopeless. I would barely qualify for FTL with the same budget it seems.

I will continue to watch the situation, but right now SK still seems to be the most economical way for me to get decent (efficient!) travel experience. It would cost me the same or a bit cheaper to maintain status on SK than flying alliance free, but gives me better benefits. I would have to start flying C on other carriers to outperform this, but that would be very expensive. So no thank you. If there just was a possibility of having something ilke priority pass for fast track on the airports I use (and possibly many more).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:55 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
These changes are kind of crazy. I am Eurobonus Gold and have been for the past 7 years. My flight pattern is primarily between Stockholm & MIA, LAX & ORD. I take this route 5-6 times per year mostly booked in economy and plus. With the bidding upgrade for points, I usually quality for Gold Status 7 months into my qualification period. The new reduction in fare prices make for some really good deals back and forth to the USA but the points really SUCK and are a joke. At that price just list points earned as 0 instead of a slap in the face you offer. The non loyal, price conscious customer is the one who really benefits from this change. They don't care about points or status, they just want the best fare. The loyal SAS traveler now has to purchase more expensive tickets to keep their status or look for an alternative airline to gain status. With the tickets I have already purchased, I will qualify for Gold again for 2019-2020. After that, I may look around and try other airlines. I have Amex Platinum and Priority Pass so lounge access is covered. The main reason that I like Gold is to be able to prebook my seats for no charge and the ability to bring 3-4 checked bags back from the US each trip. I kind of understand why they are doing it but they are really slapping their loyal consistent customers in the face with those ........ points !! Way to go SAS - reward non loyal penny pinching customers and thanks for the BIG F U to us soon to be non loyal SAS travelers.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SK2751
I did the first back of the envelope calculations:

- The idea of dropping loyalty and flying whatever gives Y+, fast track, and lounge on my connections is very appealing. It will also give me better schedule flexibility covering various departure hours. Priority pass could cover lounge on carriers that do not include it in Y+. The 400 EUR/yr pass is very good value for my travel pattern. For the price of 1-2 SK rotations in PLUS I get a lounge access for what I need. Yes, these lounges are simpler, but give me what I need from the lounge (place to sit and work, coffee, and snacks - I don't go to lounges to stock up; less food is healthier and less disturbing). The fast track access is unfortunately a culprit. It seems impossible to pay your way to CPH Express, and some of the other airports I frequent this is way to expensive (slightly higher yearly fee than PP, for half the uses of PP, as I can only use such program on one end of the trip). To this I add the relatively low prices of SK PLUS on my routes - buying a few weeks in advance, they are comparable to Y- on competition.

MM the other alternative, without going program free, is hopeless. I would barely qualify for FTL with the same budget it seems.

I will continue to watch the situation, but right now SK still seems to be the most economical way for me to get decent (efficient!) travel experience. It would cost me the same or a bit cheaper to maintain status on SK than flying alliance free, but gives me better benefits. I would have to start flying C on other carriers to outperform this, but that would be very expensive. So no thank you. If there just was a possibility of having something ilke priority pass for fast track on the airports I use (and possibly many more).
There are some people who buy their way into CPH Express or SK fast track by getting a fully-refundable/flexible fare premium cabin ticket and just using that to get boarding passes to get airside more quickly than would otherwise be the case and then get unchecked (online or offline) for such flight after clearing screening.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

There are some people who buy their way into CPH Express or SK fast track by getting a fully-refundable/flexible fare premium cabin ticket and just using that to get boarding passes to get airside more quickly than would otherwise be the case and then get unchecked (online or offline) for such flight after clearing screening.
That seems to me even more time consuming than the security lines of CPH..... But each to their own, time is of course spent at different junctures.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That seems to me even more time consuming than the security lines of CPH..... But each to their own, time is of course spent at different junctures.
Sometimes the regular security screening line at CPH can be a 20-25 minute wait while Express has no line or has a two or three minute wait at most. While it’s not commonly more than 2-15 minutes of waiting time for the security screening in the normal lines, there are times this year when the line wait to get through the WTMD/cabin baggage screening belt have been a full 20-25 minutes.

I’ve always got a handful of flexible premium cabin tickets on hand for flights out of CPH and it doesn’t seem to take me more than a handful of minutes to change those most of the time.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Even with SAS having their devaluation does anyone know how to actually buy a Eurobonus-less ticket? Seems like it's extremely difficult to even purchase even after looking at Kilroy, trip monster, etc. Google flights show availability but no chance to purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.