Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
So...someone remind me why I wouldn't just fly with Norwegian now?
I have a feeling this is a question many many leisure flyers are going to be asking now. For the pittance earned on light fares will expire Before any useful amount is collected...
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold
Well... As Im asking myself that question after being SAS gold for 4 years...

The perks of Norwegian are still faaaaaaar off from SAS. Simply when you think of rebooking in case of .....
Redemption is still awesome, surely unless tmr morning SAS says that instead of 190k for first class they start to charge 1900000000000000000k.
Lounges are worse in PP then Star Gold.

If you have no status with SAS now, u r better off with Norwegian.
If you have miles accumulated and working towards SAS lifetime gold, u need to suck it up, hate SAS and make it work
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Originally Posted by meanie.me
Well... As Im asking myself that question after being SAS gold for 4 years...

The perks of Norwegian are still faaaaaaar off from SAS. Simply when you think of rebooking in case of .....
Redemption is still awesome, surely unless tmr morning SAS says that instead of 190k for first class they start to charge 1900000000000000000k.
Lounges are worse in PP then Star Gold.

If you have no status with SAS now, u r better off with Norwegian.
If you have miles accumulated and working towards SAS lifetime gold, u need to suck it up, hate SAS and make it work
The really annoying thing is that after three years of SK silver I’ve now got enough travel booked to make gold for the first time! Perfect timing, right?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kauppias
I have a feeling this is a question many many leisure flyers are going to be asking now. For the pittance earned on light fares will expire Before any useful amount is collected...
Also some business travellers. After 18 DY flights within a year one can check a bag for free and use fasttrack at some airports.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miikkak
Also some business travellers. After 18 DY flights within a year one can check a bag for free and use fasttrack at some airports.

True,

But I am sure they have thought this through at SAS
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:23 pm

The really annoying thing is that after three years of SK silver I’ve now got enough travel booked to make gold for the first time! Perfect timing, right?
Oh thats a .....!
But remember that according to rumours, whatever you booked before today shall give u old points accuracy.
Forums say you might need to contact SAS afterwards, but if you have trips in Go Light and Go booked before, DEMAND the accuracy as old one.
And please get in touch with me of the results, so I can have yet another meanie article about crazy SAS .... going on.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Well, im writing to SAS feedback, stating that they are crazy.

Join me, it takes few minutes of your time, and possibly has a potentian for em to wake up. Otherwise, nothing will change.

Drop email to [email protected] about what you think regarding today's program enchantments.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:53 pm

Here is my email, I know it won't make any difference, but hey... We need to make em hear us.
Join me in emailing [email protected] with your feedback

Hello,

I hope it won't be the first nor the last email you will receive regarding today's EuroBonus mileage accuracy "enhancements", but as a loyal EuroBonus member, I think it's important to give a feedback.

The changes to mileage accuracy starting from Dec 1st are just complete nonsense, there were devaluations of Star Alliance programs before, but not cutting off 95% of points. Is it someone's joke to give 240 points on a flight MMX-ARN-LAX(SFO)? Giving 2400 points in SAS Go is already bad enough, but 240?

Second, all of us EuroBonus elite members really appreciate the silent and hidden way of communicating the change. A brief note somewhere on the EuroBonus news section? It takes at least 3 clicks to get there.

Thirdly, Go Light and Go has the same booking class, how a traveler can ensure if booking with OTA which points earnings he gets? Would adding a bag increase the points accuracy?

And at last, please consider EuroBonus program from the "We are travelers" point of view, rather than from a business controller excel calculations view.

Best regards,
XXX
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by meanie.me
Well, im writing to SAS feedback, stating that they are crazy.

Join me, it takes few minutes of your time, and possibly has a potentian for em to wake up. Otherwise, nothing will change.

Drop email to [email protected] about what you think regarding today's program enchantments.
Well, noble cause but.... it will do zip. You will just get a canned response how great that change is and all will be happy from now on. The businessclass.se team wrote a letter and got a pretty arrogant reply in the lines of tickets are cheaper, so we need to align point earnings:

Originally Posted by http://www.businessclass.se/forum/posts/745261/
"We at Businessclass.se have been in contact with SAS. Mariam Skovfoged, Head of Media Relations, who answers us to the question of these changes:
"Ticket prices have fallen a lot in recent years, while score earners have been the same. Therefore, we think it is correct to adjust the cheapest tickets so the score earns the prices.
The tickets that are already purchased apply for earnings at the time of booking. "

(translations as a courtesy from Google)

Not an "Eivind" but close enough in outright lying to and offending the loyal customer base.

I guess I could see some reduction in point earnings to be justified by coupling them to pricing. I guess I could live with those 100 points on ultra low intra-European Go light fares. What is ridiculous is the reduction in the long haul earnings.... at least give 25% of the distance on the cheapest tickets, not under 5%. Or decouple status points from the redemption points like other FFPs are doing, e.g. I like the BA concept with Tier points being in a total different range than the Avios earnings.

For a normal traveler with a couple flights a year FFPs rarely make sense. It will take forever to stack up enough miles for meaningful redemption and status doesn't matter that much anyway. Anyhow, the FFP was a loyalty program trying to retain those customers. Now, with these changes... they will go with the cheapest option and won't care about the FFP at all. They will just vote with their wallet and select whatever is the best option for them (both in money and convenience). and I have a hard time seeing SK being the front runner in price or convenience... SK is often much more expensive than the competition and the service in long-haul Go is really dreadful. Combine that with quite a record in irops due to crew shortage and broken down wide-bodies.... well, SAS has to catch up on quite a reputation.

Not sure this thing now, is the right move... but time will tell.

For me, this probably means I'll fly on *A metal much more and will choose LH, LX or even UA instead of SK for my west-coast travels. Unless they will cut down earnings on partners... then... well... we see, probably I'll burn all my several hundred thousands EB points on F awards and finally head over to One World.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:08 pm

ONLY one way IMHO to make a difference and thats to vote with your money...

They dont seem to care about customer feedback so much at SAS... If enough people change their booking patterns based on these changes then it will raise some eyebrows at HQ...

I am 12k short of EBD and 12K short of A3 Gold after requalifying for both I will have to sit down and calculate which program offers more going forward, without emotion just calculating the best outcome
SK2751 and meanie.me like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Well, noble cause but.... it will do zip. You will just get a canned response how great that change is and all will be happy from now on. The businessclass.se team wrote a letter and got a pretty arrogant reply in the lines of tickets are cheaper, so we need to align point earnings:....
So here's the difference. If it's just me emailing SAS, I will get the canned response.
If its 50 of us, we still get a canned response.

If its 5000 of us, and Eurobonus has much more members, we might get attention to the case.

For god's sake, Elon Musk just got charged 20m dollars for a tweet, don't you think people we can get some attention by making a buzz?

Sure, there's always a high, a very high chance all of our efforts will go down the drain, but you anyways spend time here on the forum, u read businessclass.se and you have time to answer here.
Would it kill you to, at worst copy paste email, and send it to SAS?

Im sure we wont get back old mileage earnings, but at least make em aware we are not happy?
Eller hur?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
I'm also curious about whether it will hit A3 earnings on SK too, I'm TK G so I don't really fly SK for points as they give out pretty much nothing anyway. A3 is very generous about miles earn from SK.

The devaluation is expected - it's too generous for low priced Y tickets IMO.
The SK program is way less generous now than it was 15 years ago. Are they any more profitable now than 15-20 years ago when the program was much better for more of its flying customers?

I am betting the devaluation will hit earnings with partner airline programs, dislike the outcome as I will. But they will try to push selling points via other channels.

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For business and leisure intra-Scandinavia, I choose Norwegian over SAS. This devaluation will only encourage me to migrate even more of my regional trips away from SAS than is already the case.

For business and leisure long-haul, SAS’s devaluations won’t really change much of anything for me, but this will somewhat reduce my giving them that business too. Most of my long-haul flights are one-way tickets, and yet SAS does what it can to frustrate my using them on such trips too by inhibiting even my kiosk check-ins despite the fact that this only happens when I have an SAS TSA Pre boarding pass due.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I fear partner programs will also devaluate earning for these fares, most likely at SK's request, otherwise many members will simply quite using the EuroBonus program.

Very harsh changes. Norwegian and Finnair will be smiling.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Maybe Finnair will status match refugee from EB!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.